Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Forward Proximity Sensors NOT working in Drive?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dougnash
By button, I assume you mean the one on the dash to deactivate the sensors / chimes?

But this is an idiotic thing on Audi's part. Why in the world is the system not designed to activate at slow speeds??? Mercedes works as expected, without having to push a button. Same, too, with BMW.

That's very disappointing.

Sure, I can hang a tennis ball in the garage. But that's not the point. We didn't spend $50K for that, and more important, I was looking forward to the system (for my wife) when she's just out and about. Pulling into spots around town, and the like.

The tennis ball thing was a joke.... funny haha.... the sensor thing is actually pretty cool.

Personally, I much prefer hitting the button when parking front in. If the sensor was going off all the time I was in stop and go traffic, or a drive thru, I'd go insane wanting to turn it off.

But that's just a personal preference. Perhaps there is a VCDS adjustment that can be made.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

I agree with ThunderDent
In city driving when the traffic jam the system is constantly activated and constantly chimes
Easier to press a button and activate the system
Old 01-24-2013, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know, you guys make good points. I'll reserve judgement for now, being that I have only driven the new car only a few times - the wife gets all the fun! So next time I head out I'll try just tapping the button when I know I'm going to be pulling into a spot.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

We didn't spend $50K for that, and more important, I was looking forward to the system (for my wife) when she's just out and about. Pulling into spots around town, and the like.
Exactly. I like having the sensors because it helps with verifying exactly where my corners are as I'm pulling into a spot or whatever. At least I tend to mentally push the corners out and so sensors help me with what I can't see so I can get closer than I was when driving blind, but if I can pull in without having to back up to "make sure", then that's helpful. Not to mention I'm used to how my Odyssey works (sensors work via a push button on the dash to permanently defeat) and know the Q5 has sensors and so might forget and assume I'm too far for the sensors to alert me.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm also on Thunders side. I much rather turn on the sensors when I want them then have to turn them off when I am sitting in traffic.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by johncaravello
I'm also on Thunders side. I much rather turn on the sensors when I want them then have to turn them off when I am sitting in traffic.
Again, just so I'm clear (as my wife has the Q at work), we're talking about hitting the sensor button on the dash, near the downhill assist, Audi Select, etc. Right? So that button does double-duty? You hit it to activate the front sensors while in drive, or hit it to disable the warnings when in reverse. Yes?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by johncaravello
Normally you shouldn't have them going off in traffic (when stopped) unless you're dangerously close to other vehicles. For the Odyssey, the front sensors don't start warning you until something is about 20" away (the assumption is that you can see reasonably well out the front as opposed to the back where it's harder). The rears activate at around 70". Response is tiered and varies by distance, going from short beeps when you're on the outside of the range to a constant sound when you're closer than the lowest distance (12" for the front, 24" for the rear).

The only time I really have my sensors beeping is pulling into a spot right next to a car or in some drive-up cases (since I try to be close to the wall and the rears of course have the longer range it'll warn at), as well as backing out close to a wall or other car. In normal traffic situations it's quiet unless someone really gets on my rear end at a light or something, which is rare.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Again, just so I'm clear (as my wife has the Q at work), we're talking about hitting the sensor button on the dash, near the downhill assist, Audi Select, etc. Right? So that button does double-duty? You hit it to activate the front sensors while in drive, or hit it to disable the warnings when in reverse. Yes?
Yes, the button will activate or deactivate the system depending on what mode it's in when the button is pressed. The issue that I have with it is that it also shuts off the back-up camera when I just want to mute the front sensors while backing out of my garage.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't like the fronts being loud or on at all, you can set them at different volumes/tones in the MMI as well.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
If you don't like the fronts being loud or on at all, you can set them at different volumes/tones in the MMI as well.
Tried that but it won't go to completely silent on the volume adjustment.

Quick Reply: Forward Proximity Sensors NOT working in Drive?!?!?