Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Fuel question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel question

Just wondering since this is my first luxury vehicle, what is everyone using in their Q5's?

I know engine prob gets better gas milage with the premium fuel the engine was made for, and performance would suffer on lower grade fuels. Also, what brands are u using. Exxon, Shell, or just whatever. So far I have put nothing but premium 93 in the tank. (thats the highest grade I see at most stations, even though the gas door says 95.). I dont care to run premium all the time, I was just wondering about long trips, etc. Just seing others opinions.

I have a feeling i'll be running the high test all the time tho.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also be curious to know about the 93 vs 95 aspect as well. While I do plan on only using Premium, I have only ever seen 92/93 grade - can't recall the last time I've seen 95 grade Premium.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I always try to fill up with "Top Tier" fuel...like Shell 93. There's lots of quality choices available and this topic has been discussed here many times. You might give the search function a try if you haven't already.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Banned

Check the link.
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Old 06-29-2011, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
I always try to fill up with "Top Tier" fuel...like Shell 93. There's lots of quality choices available and this topic has been discussed here many times. You might give the search function a try if you haven't already.
Sam's Club has 93 at a reasonable price, even though they aren't in the Top Tier group.

Last edited by ok4tx; 06-29-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by geronimosan
I would also be curious to know about the 93 vs 95 aspect as well. While I do plan on only using Premium, I have only ever seen 92/93 grade - can't recall the last time I've seen 95 grade Premium.
Highest I've seen lately is Sunoco 94 but anything 92 and higher will ensure top performance and mpgs.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
Highest I've seen lately is Sunoco 94 but anything 92 and higher will ensure top performance and mpgs.
Thanks!
Old 06-30-2011, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
Just wondering since this is my first luxury vehicle, what is everyone using in their Q5's?

I know engine prob gets better gas milage with the premium fuel the engine was made for, and performance would suffer on lower grade fuels. Also, what brands are u using. Exxon, Shell, or just whatever. So far I have put nothing but premium 93 in the tank. (thats the highest grade I see at most stations, even though the gas door says 95.). I dont care to run premium all the time, I was just wondering about long trips, etc. Just seing others opinions.

I have a feeling i'll be running the high test all the time tho.
HUH?
If I understand the decal on my fuel door the 95 is non-US grade i.e. Canada & Europe requirements where ratios & such are different.
91 is what is required for the Q5 (my 2010 3.2 at least)
BUT
with that said, around me Sunoco is the only one who carries 91 ... and the cost is above the 93 at Mobil, Shell, etc. so I stick to the 93 where ever I am at/deal to be had. Recently I have been buying from my local Stop & Shop as I have their store card and save -10. per gallon and the delivery truck I saw was Gulf gas.
I did ONCE try Sunoco 91 in the tank - never again it was so under-performing even in Sport ... YECK.
--
also should be noted 99% of my daily driving is all highway vs. stop & go in city driving and have not had any issues with knocking/pinging gas related.

Last edited by loscoz; 06-30-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think that 95 octane label n the gas door is refering to the European RON otane rating. The US gas suppliers use the MON rating which is lower, like the above poster said, 91 octane is require for the Q5. I always try to use Shell gas, its suppose to have the best cleaning additives along with Chervon.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Top Tier is the way to go, but don't buy higher octane than is spec'd for your vehicle (ref: gas tank flap and owner's manual). You need to prevent pre-detonation (aka ping, knock), but again any higher than necessary is a waste of money. You'll get no better performance going with say 93 octane if you're spec'd for 91 (my spec).

Having said that, I go to a local Mobil a lot and they skip from 89 to 93 so I don't really have a choice. At least I'm getting a Speedpass discount for a couple months.

Quick Reply: Fuel question