Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Get 2013 Q5 or wait for 2014 model?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
If looking at a Premium model, there was a $1400 price increase, that included the 2013 Convenience Package as now standard equipment and that cost $1000 as a 2013 option. So now we are down to a $400 model year increase which gives you a new 2.0T engine with 220 hp, a new turbo, new heads, added fuel injector to minimize/eliminate carbon build up on the valves which affected prior model years, and there may be other changes that reduces oil consumption and improved electric assist steering.
The added fuel injector I believe is for the use of E85 fuel and is only used at start-up. So I don't see any benefit to it slowing down carbon deposits. I found out today that the only mods for oil consumption are the pcv valve and engine map change. This info was given to me buy the shop foreman at my dealer this morning. Let me add that he did say there really isn't a problem with these engines.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If looking at a Premium model, there was a $1400 price increase, that included the 2013 Convenience Package as now standard equipment and that cost $1000 as a 2013 option. So now we are down to a $400 model year increase which gives you a new 2.0T engine with 220 hp, a new turbo, new heads, added fuel injector to minimize/eliminate carbon build up on the valves which affected prior model years, and there may be other changes that reduces oil consumption and improved electric assist steering.
The added fuel injector I believe is for the use of E85 fuel and is only used at start-up. So I don't see any benefit to it slowing down carbon deposits. I found out today that the only mods for oil consumption are the pcv valve and engine map change. This info was given to me by the shop foreman at my dealer this morning. Let me add that he did say there really isn't a problem with these engines.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sorry for being confusing, Blackace explained my thoughts very well.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 229 Likes on 193 Posts
Default Extra indirect injector defintely wash valves of carbon..

Originally Posted by gr8330
The added fuel injector I believe is for the use of E85 fuel and is only used at start-up. So I don't see any benefit to it slowing down carbon deposits. I found out today that the only mods for oil consumption are the pcv valve and engine map change. This info was given to me by the shop foreman at my dealer this morning. Let me add that he did say there really isn't a problem with these engines.
even if it is at start-up only. The valves only get a extremely light coating of carbon daily and they will be washed down with the intake fuel. You can also use a fuel additive to help increase the carbon removal.

The 2014, 2.0T also uses a different piston ring set than the previous oil burning prone 2.0Ts. This is to reduce oil/combustion blow-by into the crankcase, again reducing carbon build up.

The US 2014, 2.0T has many new improvements, new head with integrated exhaust manifold, new turbo, valve timing actuator, auto-vane cooling system to heat up the engine more quickly, etc. I have driven a 2011, 2.0T extensively and you can feel the 2014 improved throttle response, less turbo lag, and so far my 2014 oil level graphic is still at max.

Your shop foreman needs to get more focused on the improvements....

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 07-14-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Your shop foreman needs to get more focused on the improvements....
I hope the techs working there have a better understanding of the new engine then he does.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 229 Likes on 193 Posts
Default You can't knock them....

Originally Posted by gr8330
I hope the techs working there have a better understanding of the new engine then he does.
the engine has only been in the states less than 3 weeks. They probably haven't even had a reason to remove the engine cover on one and don't even know that there are changes.

From Audi....

Completely new: 2.0 TFSI

The gasoline engines also combine strong performance with astonishing efficiency. The 2.0 TFSI, which mobilizes 1,984 cc of displacement, appears as an entirely new development with innovative solutions in many technical areas. It is the successor to the engine that was selected "Engine of the Year" five years in a row.

The new four-cylinder engine exhibits a torque curve like a TDI - it attains its maximum torque of 350 Nm (258.15 lb-ft) at a low 1,500 rpm and maintains it at a constant value up to 4,500 rpm. It outputs its full 165 kW (225 hp) of power at a low 4,500 rpm. With a manual transmission, the 2.0 TFSI accelerates the Audi Q5 from zero to 100 km/h (62.14 mph) in 7.6 seconds (tiptronic: 7.1 seconds) and to a top speed of 222 km/h (137.94 mph).

Its combined fuel consumption is only 7.6 liters of fuel per 100 km (30.95 US mpg) (with tiptronic: 7.9 liters [29.77 US mpg]) - equivalent to CO2 emissions of 176 (184) grams per km (283.24 [296.12] g/mile).

One innovation in the 2.0 TFSI is the addition of indirect fuel injection. This supplements FSI direct gasoline injection under part-load conditions, improving fuel economy and reducing particulate emissions. FSI injection, which operates at up to 200 bar pressure, is utilized at engine start and higher loads. In terms of filling the combustion chambers, engineers have implemented new degrees of freedom: both camshafts can be adjusted as necessary; on the exhaust side, the Audi valvelift system varies valve stroke over two stages as well.

In the innovative thermal management system, two rotary vanes incorporated in one module regulate the flow of coolant. They ensure that the engine oil heats quickly to its operating temperature after an engine start, and they regulate coolant temperature between 85 and 107 degrees Celsius depending on the driving situation. This achieves an optimal relationship between minimal friction and high thermodynamic efficiency under all load and engine speed conditions.

The exhaust manifold of the four-cylinder engine is integrated in the cylinder head where coolant circulates around it. This solution reduces the temperature of the exhaust gas, which improves fuel efficiency during a sporty mode of driving, because it avoids full-throttle enrichment. A newly developed turbocharger also makes its appearance here. Its key improvement is an electric wastegate adjuster, which regulates charge pressure extremely fast and precisely - making engine response even more spontaneous.

Internal friction has been significantly reduced as well - by a new type of coating on the piston skirts and a low-friction bearing on the two balancer
shafts for very smooth engine running. The regulated oil pump consumes very little energy.

Notice that they also state that the extra indirect fuel injector is also used at higher engine loads which would mean that if you go for spirited rides you will be washing the carbon off the valves.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 07-14-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Bob thank you. Great read!
I am very happy I ordered the 14.

Over the weekend I took a test drive in a 14 and a 13. The 14 does seem quicker and I noticed o lag when I hit the gas...

I also drove a 3.0 and it didn't seem any fast then the 2014, 2.0.

Since I won't be towing anything the
2014- 2.0 is a superior ride for the money!
Old 07-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kaitlyn2004
I currently have a Honda Accord and am excitedly upgrading to the Audi Q5. I'm not in a huge rush, apart from just WANTING to upgrade!

I'm trying to find details on the 2014 model, but details are sparse. (t SOUNDS like:
- Price bump
- More options are standard
- More trims/model variants?

Is there any known release date for the 2014 model? Any other insight on whether it is worth it to wait for the 2014 model or dive right in?

I bought my Accord in February, which was far off next year's model. Now that we're in July, it is a little closer...!

in Canada, 2014s are hitting the lots now... one dealer I know is out if 2013s, only 14s