Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Getting close, pano sunroof question tho please

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting close, pano sunroof question tho please

Kay, getting it nailed down. Lave Grey pearl, S Line, probably black interior, but still undecided on sunroof. I just think resale alone warrants it, but,
my wife barely even likes to use hers now, and is always wanting to close glass when sunny out. Plus, our 14 year old son says he doesnt really want the sunroof either, so, my question,
Does the black headliner/cloth do a reasonable job of blocking the sun out?
How many of you wish you did, or didnt, go for the sunroof option?
Thanks in advance.
ChrisP.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i had my Q5 it was awesome, i sometimes miss it in my A6. It covers most of the roof and makes the Q feel alot bigger then it really is. The sun shade does a really nice job of keeping out the sun. Actually I wouldnt think of buying a Q5 without a Sunroof

Also, if it concerns you, you can always get a tinter to tint the glass darker
Old 11-16-2011, 01:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The sunroof is great. People make note of it when they ride in my car. Was one of the main draws to the vehicle for me. Makes the inside feel roomier and I think the tinted glass is enough of a sunblock for me (never need to put on sunglasses when sun coming through roof). I never use the retractable shade except to show it to somebody.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

The Pano was one of my most likes about the car. I never use the AC so its a better alternative for me than cracking the windows. The sunshade does a great job when I have it closed can hardly notice that its there.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chrispmoto
How many of you wish you did, or didnt, go for the sunroof option?
Thanks in advance.
ChrisP.
Bought my car off a lot and it had everything I wanted plus the pano roof. If I had ordered my car I would have deleted it. It is cool to look at but lets in so much light and heat it's ridiculous. The mesh shield is next to useless against the sun. I had mine tinted to 5% and it never gets opened. Coupled with the fact that most sunroofs/moonroofs eventually leak(they do better if garaged), I'll order my next car without.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

It is a personal preference for sure. From an engineering standpoint the vehicle is stiffer, lighter and simpler without it. There are some posts on here and Audizine about creaks and rattles especially in very cold weather. In the US with the base (Premium) model you are charged for the Pano roof. For all other models it's a no cost delete option. In the southern US there many more on the lots without it than up north. I went without but my excuse is our other car has an even bigger roof that opens up.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cracking the windows or opening the sunroof increases fuel consumption enough to counter using air con but lets the cabin fill with micro dust.
Just check out your cabin filter to see what its stopping!
The resale value difference is nothing.
I dont like the distracting light from above.
You get more headroom without.
Cabin will be cooler in summer and warmer in winter without.
loads ands loads of Q5 and Q7 owners end up putting a tinting film on to cut down light and heat.

Count me as a negative on sunroof. (Experience of both on Q7)
Old 11-16-2011, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is headroom really a problem? I'm 6'-7" and I even had plenty of headroom with a helmet on in the q5 with the Pano roof.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default sun worshiper here

I love the open feeling the pano roof gives.

As for creaks & squeaks please don't let that be a swaying option in pano or non-pano as consider all the Q's out there in comparison to those who post complaints/ issues - I haven't had issues (yeah luck maybe) but SO LOOOOVE the pano it reminds me of my convertible that I put away & miss in the winter.

I get ohhhs & ahhhhs from friends who ride in the back and all they can see out & up as it is so huge.
It is also an option you cannot add on after but like others have posted you CAN darken tint or even paint it if it's really disturbing.
---
side note my previous suv had a 'standard' (i.e. smaller) glass sunroof and in the winter some ice fell off the roof at my office building (6 stories up) and crashed through that ... I never knew that 12x18 square of glass could leave so many pieces of glass everywhere! When we saw this larger glass in the Q that's all we could think about was ALL THAT GLASS - but I sucked it up, bought it and don't regret it AT ALL!

Last edited by loscoz; 11-16-2011 at 04:04 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stuttgartrob
Is headroom really a problem? I'm 6'-7" and I even had plenty of headroom with a helmet on in the q5 with the Pano roof.
Not sure how JFF meant it but that's a pretty much the case with any car. I'm 6'-0" and when I have my seat adjusted where I like it I can just get 3 fingers between my head and the lowest part of the roof...plenty of room. However, I can see how some, depending on how they adjust their seat, might appreciate a little more headroom. As tall as you are, I imagine your seat is adjusted near the low limit.

Quick Reply: Getting close, pano sunroof question tho please