Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Getting close, pano sunroof question tho please

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personal preference is correct

But I too think it is an "OH, WOW!" feature that will help with resale:

And according to most "guess at the pricing" sites like edmunds:
http://www.edmunds.com/audi/q5/2010/...e-results.html

it adds roughly $1000 to the value...
Old 11-16-2011, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Either you are a sunroof person or not a sunroof person, not everybody like sunroofs. I for one do not, the shade does not block all the sunlight and having a big piece of heavy glass on top of a vehicle is the worst thing for low center of gavity. If you live in the colder climate, the temp. change might cause the pano roof to rattle and creak. In the end, I got some ahhh and wow at first, but the novelty wore off pretty quick.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came from an E46 M3 to the Q5... bad winters, living in a city, short commute all contributed to trading in the beloved M3.

I ordered the M3 without a sunroof. I never missed it -- even once.

I planned on not getting the sunroof on the Q5, but as a compromise to my wife (she wanted the X3) I got the sunroof.

I have never regretted getting the sunroof in the Q5. It can get a little hot in the summer and can take a while to cool down, but since fall has come, I leave the shade retracted and I love the close to "open air" experience! I haven't admitted that to my wife yet...
Old 11-16-2011, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
Bought my car off a lot and it had everything I wanted plus the pano roof. If I had ordered my car I would have deleted it. It is cool to look at but lets in so much light and heat it's ridiculous. The mesh shield is next to useless against the sun. I had mine tinted to 5% and it never gets opened. Coupled with the fact that most sunroofs/moonroofs eventually leak(they do better if garaged), I'll order my next car without.

+2

Each of their own and there is owners who like to panorama and there is owners who doesn't like it.

We tried without tint and it was no go. Tried 20% and still way too hot then outside is 95-100F. Got 5% and it's doable...

We have had panorama on two cars now, car before Q5 and current Q5, next car WILL BE solid roof.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's a big expense if you don't need it and it sounds like the rest of your family is against it. I have a lava grey with the pano roof and really like it but I've only had it a few weeks. Ask me again in the summer. My guess is I'll still really like it though.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

What I don't understand is the fact that Audi doesn't give you a credit for deleting the pano roof with the premium plus trim in the U.S. It is a $1500 option in the premium trim. You would think that they would take $1500 off the PP trim if you delete it. I'd be pretty pissed if I didn't want it and still had to pay for it. There are some things that you can only get with the pp or prestige trim like HIDs and Nav option. so if you want that stuff you are kind of stuck.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by johncaravello
What I don't understand is the fact that Audi doesn't give you a credit for deleting the pano roof with the premium plus trim in the U.S. It is a $1500 option in the premium trim. You would think that they would take $1500 off the PP trim if you delete it. I'd be pretty pissed if I didn't want it and still had to pay for it. There are some things that you can only get with the pp or prestige trim like HIDs and Nav option. so if you want that stuff you are kind of stuck.
At least you get a choice. In the US all A4'a have Sunroofs. Many manufacturers don't give you a choice to delete in there higher end models.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
At least you get a choice. In the US all A4'a have Sunroofs. Many manufacturers don't give you a choice to delete in there higher end models.
This is true. I don't think there was a delete option prior to this year. It still sucks to delete something of high cost and get nothing in return. Maybe a nice full lenth overhead console with some nice gizmos and gadgets for the backseat passengers would be nice. idk.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by johncaravello
This is true. I don't think there was a delete option prior to this year. It still sucks to delete something of high cost and get nothing in return. Maybe a nice full lenth overhead console with some nice gizmos and gadgets for the backseat passengers would be nice. idk.
The lighting is in a more functional location for the back seats without the pano roof.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HarmsWay
It's a big expense if you don't need it and it sounds like the rest of your family is against it. I have a lava grey with the pano roof and really like it but I've only had it a few weeks. Ask me again in the summer. My guess is I'll still really like it though.
We've made it through a Miami summer with a tinted pano roof (not sure what %, dealer offered to do it before delivery) and everyone loves it, especially the kids in the back row. You'll definitely be feelin' it if you forget to close the shade before you park outside in the hot sun, though. If you keep it closed it's by no means intolerable when you get back in.

I get the feeling it's something I wouldn't really miss if I never had it, but now that it's there I hate to drive with the shade closed!

Quick Reply: Getting close, pano sunroof question tho please