Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Getting ready to pull the trigger.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Getting ready to pull the trigger.......

After much ado, a lot of web and forums research and a couple of test drives, I'm just about ready to put a deposit down on a 2016 Q5 3.0 Premium Plus, Tech Package and sport seats. Only bug a boo is I want the black exterior with the chestnut colored seats and they are in very limited availability. I just don't want that totally black interior - way too hot in the summer and the chestnut seats look incredibly richer.
Ok, so I did a quick look and drive last week in a MB GLC; very, very nice car; lots of new technology in there and I know a short test drive is not definitive, but after the drive I was happy getting back in my 14 Q5 2.0. Others will love the GLC and that will be a real deal rival to the Q5 for sure.
Canceled my X3 road test, because I'm not sure the ride would be much different from the 2014 X3's ride and at that point chose my 2014 Q5.

**Oh, yeah, almost forgot to mention that I took a look at and drove the Macan S. Absolutely World Class - saying it drives incredibly well is a vast understatement, fit and finish impeccable, but even a very basic S - equipped with similar options as the Q5 easily runs over 63K. Maintenance is equally higher - uhm...$300.00 for an oil change? Huh? And I would be driving into NYC 3 days a week with all the associated potholes and congestion, stop and go and generally crazy drivers all over the place.Though by far, the best driving out of the whole bunch, it's simply way over my price range right now. But I promised myself, when I retire (5-6 more years)and finances allow for it (and that's a big if) I would seriously revisit the Macan.

My thoughts are these in choosing the 2016 with the 3.0 over the others:

I just really like that Q5 "ride/feel"over the others - firm, yet comfortable, very quite and handles as well as I would ever want. A little body roll? Ok, yes, but I don't do slalom type driving. Aging looks? Yes - and my first Q5 was the first Q5 - 2009 3.2. But the Q5's have aged gracefully over the years. Some outdated technology? Yes, a little, but I'm not that techy a guy anyhow, though I do appreciate the improvements I saw in the GLC. Audi reliability seems to be way high - not a single problem with my 2014 car - except that the heaters run at different temps on the same settings. What's up with that?

The car just hugs the road and is very sure footed. And I think it does well over the NYC/NJ pothole filled roads. Minimal wind noise even at my top limits - 80mph when I can get away with it on some stretches.

I already have snow tires with very minimal wear that I can and will reuse on the new car. I'm not keen about the whole run flat things; both the BMW and MB salespeople said that if you get a nail in them, they need to be replaced! Say what? Well, I think that can get expensive. And what happens if you are on the road and don't happen to find a place that carries your run flat tire? Get a regular tire, I guess, but that probably doesn't drive too well I'm guessing, with 3 run flats and 1 standard tire. I also think the run flats may not be as comfortable, but I am not sure if braking distance is affected. Other may think differently regarding run flats.

With a 3.0 engine, a smoother ride/greater power on the highway than the 2.0, X3 and GLC.

Enough trunk space for what I need - the GLC falls short here.

Good prices and incentives to buy now and with a 29 -30k trade in for my Q5.

Last chance to get a German made Q5.

Bottom line and for all the above reasons - and more I'm just guessing, I simply like that Audi drive "experience" better than the others.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 2016 Q5 3.0T S-line with Mythos Black and Pistachio interior. I absolutely love the way the car drives, and would not even consider the 2.0 after driving this one. Mine is set up exactly like what you want except the sport seats. I prefer more cush as I do not drive super fast.

The acceleration is smooth and impressive, and the ride very quiet.

I would not suggest the Pistachio color just because it shows dirt, and a lot of it. Personally I would have gone Chestnut like you, but my wife loves the light interior.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
I have a 2016 Q5 3.0T S-line with Mythos Black and Pistachio interior. I absolutely love the way the car drives, and would not even consider the 2.0 after driving this one. Mine is set up exactly like what you want except the sport seats. I prefer more cush as I do not drive super fast.

The acceleration is smooth and impressive, and the ride very quiet.

I would not suggest the Pistachio color just because it shows dirt, and a lot of it. Personally I would have gone Chestnut like you, but my wife loves the light interior.
Jim,

My 09 was brilliant black and pistachio interior. Yep, I remember cleaning the leather, but thankfully, never picked up dark stains from jeans. I really do think the chestnut interior is classy looking, certainly breaks up the black seats/black interior nicely.
I also like the Drive Select feature; I think it will make for a more fun/less boring driving experience.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 202 Likes on 173 Posts

Hi Bob,

You seem to have multiple threads on the same subject with people already replying to them:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...trade-2896354/
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...3-0-a-2896531/

So glad you are "upgrading" to the 3.0T...from first hand experience I can say IMHO it's has a much broader power distribution vs. the 2.0T. Furthermore, should you want/need more power, and who doesn't, a simple tune and pulley will have this running with at least another 120 bhp! Enjoy and post up pics when you get it. I used to own a black car for many years and loved it WHEN CLEAN, but what a PITA keeping it that way
Old 02-26-2016, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by raj99
Hi Bob,

You seem to have multiple threads on the same subject with people already replying to them:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...trade-2896354/
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...3-0-a-2896531/

So glad you are "upgrading" to the 3.0T...from first hand experience I can say IMHO it's has a much broader power distribution vs. the 2.0T. Furthermore, should you want/need more power, and who doesn't, a simple tune and pulley will have this running with at least another 120 bhp! Enjoy and post up pics when you get it. I used to own a black car for many years and loved it WHEN CLEAN, but what a PITA keeping it that way
Yeah, sorry, I should have posted this in one of my other threads. I have owned a few black cars and swore I'd never own another one just for that reason. But I am looking at a Mythos black which is a metalic black and I'm guessing is a little less prone to showing swirls and dust, but still can have that sharp, deep pop of Brilliant black.
Nah, the 3.0T has more than enough power for any driving I'm doing.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I also swore not to have a black car after my previous car so of course I got a Mythos black Q5 . My wife didn't like the black optics package, and I was not a fan of the black optics wheels. I'm also in Ohio so I needed all season tires so the stockers on the 3.0T worked better. If you're not getting black optics the Mythos black is the way to go. It looked better to me than the other colors. However, I still see swirls, and dust. I assume Brilliant black will be slightly worse.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Speedooooo
I also swore not to have a black car after my previous car so of course I got a Mythos black Q5 . My wife didn't like the black optics package, and I was not a fan of the black optics wheels. I'm also in Ohio so I needed all season tires so the stockers on the 3.0T worked better. If you're not getting black optics the Mythos black is the way to go. It looked better to me than the other colors. However, I still see swirls, and dust. I assume Brilliant black will be slightly worse.
No black optics here - same reasons they are summer tires I think and living in NJ need all season tires. Brilliant black can be a swirl and dust pia. Mythos is what I ordered.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ok, deposit placed on 2016 3.0T Prestige Plus, NAV and Sports seats with all weather mats and mud guards installed. $48100.00 MINUS the 500.00 -1000.00 Audi loyalty reward. Got 29k for my 201 2.0T. Only one on East Coast.Hope to see it in a few weeks.
I'm happy.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't think the mud/splash guards will fit on the S line.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Speedooooo
I don't think the mud/splash guards will fit on the S line.
Oh?

Quick Reply: Getting ready to pull the trigger.......