Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Gloss Black and Matte Black on 2014 Q5s

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Gloss Black and Matte Black on 2014 Q5s

When the 2014 information came out and the S-Line Plus package (3.0T and TDI) noted the following items, some people started wondering exactly what would be included:
- High gloss black package
- Matte black roof rails

The roof rails seem self explanatory.
The "high gloss pkg" has existed in name on some other Audi models as well, so people wondered how much overlap may occur. Questions raised about maybe the grille surround, maybe the exterior b-pillar, interior console, etc.

I was just looking at the 2013 PIB and 2014 PIB and noticed a difference that I had not realized before which may help tell a little more of this story.

2013 lists this as standard equipment across all Q5 models:
- Audi SingleframeŽ grille in gloss Black wi/ license plate holder or filler panel
Note the gloss black there refers to the fins of the grill, not the surround. The surround is chrome.
This was also noted as new in 2013, so I guess this changed as part of the facelift
The only other grille listed is the S-Line grille that is standard on the 3.0T and not available on either 2.0T or Hybrid. There was no color-description of that which I saw. It states:
- S lineŽ exterior kit (modified front grille, ...)

Now in 2014 PIB, it lists the same grille as standard across all models (except SQ5):
- Audi SingleframeŽ grille in gloss Black wi/ license plate holder or filler panel
And also shows the S-Line grille again, standard for 3.0T and optional for TDI:
But then it also lists a different grille that is only available (optional) for the 3.0T and TDI (thus presumably included in the S-Line Plus Pkg):
- Audi SingleframeŽ grille in matte Black w/ horizontal twin blades in Black w/ gloss Black surround; with/ without license plate holder
This one notes matte black blades (which may have been same as 2013 3.0T (Standard S-Line)?), but *ALSO* notes gloss black surround. I feel like that is new detail that hasn't been discussed here, so wanted to share that

Now let's look a little closer at what you just read and note something else: "horizontal twin blades". Hmm, where have I seen those words before? Oh, that's right, in the SQ5 grille!:
- Audi SingleframeŽ grille in Platinum Gray w/ horizontal twin blades in alu-optic w/ chrome surround; with/ without license plate holder

So the S-Line Plus Package is going to have a completely different looking grille from the standard non-SLine package. This is different than 2013 when the 3.0T was only mildly different (I'd have to look closer to see any difference at all - both have 14 vertical chrome blades). So now in 2014 the S-Line Plus Pkg does away with the standard grille with vertical chrome blades and replaces it with a grille with horizontal twin-blades like the SQ5. It seems they will likely look about the same except the SQ5 will be in silver/grey colors while the S Line Plus Pkg will be in black.

Yay, I'm excited for a differentiated grille, closer to SQ5!

I also think the table is a little misleading in the PIB because it suggests there is one standard and 2 optional grilles for the TDI, but the reality is there's just 1 standard one and 1 that is included in the S-Line Plus Pkg based on my understanding. In a similar way the 3.0T makes it seem like it has 2 grilles standard (the same one as the rest of the cars and the S-Line one). So some of this I take with a grain of salt, but the fact that the black surround is explicitly added to the PIB makes me comfortable that does reflect reality.

Now I need to start thinking how my Glacier White will look with all of this black stuff. I think I'll be good once I swap out the wheels. I certainly appreciate that the grille is different than the others...

There could be other gloss black bits, but I figured I'd highlight the grille differences since I stumbled upon those. I really need to read this PIB closer
Old 05-01-2013, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for doing the research Mark! My salesman and I were speculating about what exterior trim pieces in the 2014 MY would be changed to gloss black. It will be great if the grill does have the changes. I wondered why the s-line package until now wouldn't mean having a different looking grill.
Like you say, there could be other areas that may also see some gloss black finishes, maybe the B pillar?
Either way, I am glad I decided on the Glacier White for my new Q. I can live with the 20 inch titanium "peelers."
Old 08-19-2013, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Does anyone have any more information on this?
Old 08-19-2013, 11:24 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a pic of the 2014 with S-Line Plus. Grille looks to be standard s-line (but in black) rather than the SQ5 grille (in black).

-tgt

Old 08-19-2013, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tgt
Here's a pic of the 2014 with S-Line Plus. Grille looks to be standard s-line (but in black) rather than the SQ5 grille (in black).

-tgt

Are you sure this is the case? The configurator at AudiUSA.com shows a chrome grill and chrome around the windows. I just spent 30 minutes with an Audi representative in an online chat and they didn't know the answer. My local dealer didn't know either.

Here is the photo from audiusa.com
Old 08-19-2013, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wrcardon
Are you sure this is the case? The configurator at AudiUSA.com shows a chrome grill and chrome around the windows. I just spent 30 minutes with an Audi representative in an online chat and they didn't know the answer. My local dealer didn't know either.

Here is the photo from audiusa.com
Yes the black sline package is the case.

I took that picture at prestige imports in Miami. That is 2014 us Q5 Spine plus model.

The website is wrong..
Old 08-19-2013, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the second to last page of the 2014 Q5 brochure also has a picture "drawing?" of the S-line.
Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2013, 04:17 PM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, the website has the wrong front grille (among other things).

-tgt
Old 09-29-2013, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I read that too on the AoA 2014 Product Information Book for the Q5. Now that people are getting their awesome Q5 & SQ5. I wonder if people who ordered the S-Line Plus package got the "horizontal twin blades" similar to the SQ5. I really like that look better than the vertical ones. Anyone who has the new Q5 S-Line Plus package please post some front grille photos. I bummed out that the other guy here got the differ from what was mentioned in the PIB.

Originally Posted by Mark P
When the 2014 information came out and the S-Line Plus package (3.0T and TDI) noted the following items, some people started wondering exactly what would be included:
- High gloss black package
- Matte black roof rails

The roof rails seem self explanatory.
The "high gloss pkg" has existed in name on some other Audi models as well, so people wondered how much overlap may occur. Questions raised about maybe the grille surround, maybe the exterior b-pillar, interior console, etc.

I was just looking at the 2013 PIB and 2014 PIB and noticed a difference that I had not realized before which may help tell a little more of this story.

2013 lists this as standard equipment across all Q5 models:
Note the gloss black there refers to the fins of the grill, not the surround. The surround is chrome.
This was also noted as new in 2013, so I guess this changed as part of the facelift
The only other grille listed is the S-Line grille that is standard on the 3.0T and not available on either 2.0T or Hybrid. There was no color-description of that which I saw. It states:

Now in 2014 PIB, it lists the same grille as standard across all models (except SQ5):
And also shows the S-Line grille again, standard for 3.0T and optional for TDI:
But then it also lists a different grille that is only available (optional) for the 3.0T and TDI (thus presumably included in the S-Line Plus Pkg):
- Audi SingleframeŽ grille in matte Black w/ horizontal twin blades in Black w/ gloss Black surround; with/ without license plate holder
This one notes matte black blades (which may have been same as 2013 3.0T (Standard S-Line)?), but *ALSO* notes gloss black surround. I feel like that is new detail that hasn't been discussed here, so wanted to share that

Now let's look a little closer at what you just read and note something else: "horizontal twin blades". Hmm, where have I seen those words before? Oh, that's right, in the SQ5 grille!:
- Audi SingleframeŽ grille in Platinum Gray w/ horizontal twin blades in alu-optic w/ chrome surround; with/ without license plate holder

So the S-Line Plus Package is going to have a completely different looking grille from the standard non-SLine package. This is different than 2013 when the 3.0T was only mildly different (I'd have to look closer to see any difference at all - both have 14 vertical chrome blades). So now in 2014 the S-Line Plus Pkg does away with the standard grille with vertical chrome blades and replaces it with a grille with horizontal twin-blades like the SQ5. It seems they will likely look about the same except the SQ5 will be in silver/grey colors while the S Line Plus Pkg will be in black.

Yay, I'm excited for a differentiated grille, closer to SQ5!

I also think the table is a little misleading in the PIB because it suggests there is one standard and 2 optional grilles for the TDI, but the reality is there's just 1 standard one and 1 that is included in the S-Line Plus Pkg based on my understanding. In a similar way the 3.0T makes it seem like it has 2 grilles standard (the same one as the rest of the cars and the S-Line one). So some of this I take with a grain of salt, but the fact that the black surround is explicitly added to the PIB makes me comfortable that does reflect reality.

Now I need to start thinking how my Glacier White will look with all of this black stuff. I think I'll be good once I swap out the wheels. I certainly appreciate that the grille is different than the others...

There could be other gloss black bits, but I figured I'd highlight the grille differences since I stumbled upon those. I really need to read this PIB closer
Old 09-29-2013, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adeguzOOOO
I read that too on the AoA 2014 Product Information Book for the Q5. Now that people are getting their awesome Q5 & SQ5. I wonder if people who ordered the S-Line Plus package got the "horizontal twin blades" similar to the SQ5. I really like that look better than the vertical ones. Anyone who has the new Q5 S-Line Plus package please post some front grille photos. I bummed out that the other guy here got the differ from what was mentioned in the PIB.
I agree that horizontal grill blades like the SQ5 would look better, but unfortunately I can confirm that the S Line Plus Package comes with vertical grill blades. That's how it was on the TDI I test drove, and it is consistent with all of the photos I have seen.

Quick Reply: Gloss Black and Matte Black on 2014 Q5s