Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Going to Mammoth with OEM all season tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to Mammoth with OEM all season tires?

Do you guys think its ok for the Q5 to make it to Mammoth from Socal without chains and factory all season tires? Especially the guys that went to mammoth before chime in?
Old 01-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just did a trip from Colorado via Utah in my new Q5 with 19" all-season Goodyears (OEM). PHENOMENAL! I have driven in a lot of snow, with a lot of vehicles including an All-Road and the Q5 was simply outstanding. I drove in snow for about 1500 of the 2500 miles we put on it including snowpacked freeway, snowy town streets, slushy highways and back roads. I was confident up to 70mph and then some, depending on how tacky the snow was. I think you will have no problem with a trip to Mammoth unless it becomes the patented SoCal ice skating rink - in that case - only chains or studded snows will keep ANY vehicle from sliding.

BTW - the ESP was not overly active, and when I did parking lot tests, it corrected with little fuss. I still prefer city driving without the ESP on, because I like to be able to drift around corners (it's way more fun and shortens the turning radius)!

I will post some pictures later today. Go have fun!
Old 01-03-2010, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been running A/S tires (not OEM, Yokohama Parada Spec-X on my S-line wheels) up to the mountains (PacNW) a few times this season and they have performed very well. Being that 99% of your time is probably spent driving in SoCal with a few trips up to Mammoth, I would say it isn't worth the full winters. Up here in Seattle we rarely get snow in the city but make frequent trips up to the mountains so most people run A/S tires that I know. If I had a garage to store an extra set of wheels w/ winters, I may consider them, but you just have to take things a little slower on the white stuff with A/S tires.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by samwoo2go
Do you guys think its ok for the Q5 to make it to Mammoth from Socal without chains and factory all season tires? Especially the guys that went to mammoth before chime in?
Just returned from Mammoth. Snowed 18" last week. Hard ice a few mornings last week. Q5 performed confidently and flawlessly. I used hill assist to try it out on a steep, icy street. Worked fantastic. Only felt the ABS kick in a few times at low speeds. Gentle response and arrow straight.

I have not had an Audi for 20 years. Wow, this is an impressive car. BTW: The 4 hours on 395/14 were very pleasant. The car is refined as my S Class MBZ on the HWY and we got huge milage using cruse control and keeping it below 80.

All the best
Old 01-04-2010, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Kulanu
Just returned from Mammoth. Snowed 18" last week. Hard ice a few mornings last week. Q5 performed confidently and flawlessly. I used hill assist to try it out on a steep, icy street. Worked fantastic. Only felt the ABS kick in a few times at low speeds. Gentle response and arrow straight.

I have not had an Audi for 20 years. Wow, this is an impressive car. BTW: The 4 hours on 395/14 were very pleasant. The car is refined as my S Class MBZ on the HWY and we got huge milage using cruse control and keeping it below 80.

All the best
Sorry, what is "hill assist"?

Bob
Old 01-04-2010, 07:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bob m
Sorry, what is "hill assist"?

Bob
Sorry, that little button with a car pointed down a steep hill. It puts the transmission into a very low gear enabling the engine to break the car efficiently without need of breaks.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

even though you may not need to put the snowchains on your car, in many places (especially going up to Bear Mtn during snowy days) they at least require you to carry your chains in your car just in case. remember this, it really sux to be halfway up the mountain and have to turn around at chain-checkpoint to go buy some chains you will probably never use... its better to have them in the back of your car already and keep them unused there haha!
I love this car on snow!
Old 01-05-2010, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I live in Tahoe most of the year, and travel thru mammoth from LA quite often...if the weather looks clear for a 6 day period, its pretty safe to do the drive without winter tires, however, any chance of snow, and I'm running to get those winters on!! Really enjoy driving this car in the snow...it corners tight and with confidence, and climbs like a sloth (sorry for that visual)...perfect vehicle for big winters!!