Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Good News 0 Carbon Build Up

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carbon deposits on the intakes are a lesser problem with DI engines*. Deposits in this case are more a function of the emission control system.
I think they were taking a shot in the dark. What are your driving habits? I have a feeling that our engines are not made for city driving. Well, that goes without saying, but unless they can get good and hot at higher rpm's often enough they may be prone to carbon plaque. Not that that was your problem anyway.
Describe to me exactly how the misfire feels, when it occurs, how often it occurs, the load conditions, engine temperature, air temperature, etc. I assume you have no codes (there can be codes even with the CEL not coming on). Did BMW install an event recorder in your car and let you drive it for a while until the skip occurred? Probably not, they're not that sophisticated. The onboard data recorder may catch a glitch but unless you can identify a specific time frame it is difficult to sort it out of the data stream.
Have they identified the misbehaving cylinder(s)?

*There have been problems with carbon deposits inside the cylinders, on the piston crown and under the cylinder dome. BMW has blamed this mostly on the use of poor gasoline. However there are a couple TSBs addressing the carbon issue, one dealing with bad (leaky/poor spray pattern) injectors and the other with how to get rid of it. Your problem doesn't sound like it's related to this type of buildup because you don't mention 'ping' or rough cold start or other symptoms which go along with this type of buildup.

ELEVENS THIS I FOUND ON THE BMW Forums SITE
Look at the 1st question

Regards BCD-1
Old 09-03-2012, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't even know who you're talking, how it applies to the discussion, and to or what the "1st question" addresses. (BMW) "..is not that sophisticated." ??? Really?! I give up.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What are your driving habits? I have a feeling that our engines are not made for city driving. Well, that goes without saying, but unless they can get good and hot at higher rpm's often enough they may be prone to carbon plaque. Not that that was your problem anyway.

It's pretty Clear for Me !

BCD-1
Old 09-03-2012, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With my Q5 (3.2) I towed about 2-2.5k lbs trailer 1100 miles on I70 from Kansas City to Salt Lake City and few week later same back and trip was done 2-4 times a year.

From day one and 3 years later with 70k miles on it, mostly 60-80 mph it had carbon issue so unless you have towed more, drove harder, this carbon testing through MMI is one of the greatest BS from dealer so far as Elevens already pointed out...

How many Beemers you actually have owned? With our previous 2 (328 and 335) our dealer in Los Angeles was far more sophisticated than our VAG dealer.

Last edited by kleinbus; 09-03-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BCD-1

It's pretty Clear for Me !

BCD-1
What's Clear?
Old 09-04-2012, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The test is done through a Vas Computer that plugs under the steering wheel. That communicates with the MMI.
It checks the Secondary valve injection
Complete carbon test , Misfires, injectors, complete injection system.
It takes around 45 minutes - 70 minutes for the Q to complete the test.
The test results are Negative or Positive.

I'm not a technical Mechanic like most of you Guys.
The Results on My Q5 were Negative 0.00 On The Vas Computer.

BCD-1
Old 09-04-2012, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a test done with in the MMI of the Q.
It takes around 45 minutes - 70 minutes for the Q to complete the test.
Complete carbon test , Misfires, injectors, complete injection system.
My dealer did not charge me to do the test.

The Q goes through some types of a self testing program
I'll ask my dealer for the details of what the Tech showed me on the display of the MMI

Regards BCD-1

I suggest you make rendez-vous at your dealer and post the out come.

There have been only a few Cases of Carbon Build Up...
Feedback would be great Good Luck !
all cars are bound to have carbon build up.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

My CEL came on so I had the dealer check it out. As with others, I have a carbon issue even though I only use top quality fuel and drive mostly highway. The light has now been on for two weeks while I wait for my appointment. This past weekend I pulled my travel trailer to the campsite with the family (since the dealer told me the issue will not affect anything). The camp Site is about 1:45 away and the Q5 handled perfect. We got home,etc on Monday and I filled up once again with the high grade fuel. While driving home from the gas station, I noticed my CEL is now off!? I'm still keeping my appointment with Audi, but thought it funny that this happened.

If anything further comes from this, I'll chime in further.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Poncherelly which fuel have you been using Petrocanada
ULTRA 94 ?

BCD-1
Old 09-07-2012, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Poncherelly which fuel have you been using Petrocanada
ULTRA 94 ?

BCD-1
Was using Shell but the last fill up I used petroleum 94. Didn't notice the light was off until after the fill up, but I doubt the short drive with 94 resolved the problem.

But hey, what do I know

Quick Reply: Good News 0 Carbon Build Up