Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Good vanity plate ideas!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Parsec
Are vanity plates common in most parts of the country? In Mass very few people have vanity plates (I see one maybe once a month). Everyone I know says they are extremely tacky. However just over the border in RI, it seems like every other person has a vanity plate with their initials followed by their favorite number.
I think it really varies by state, which in part is due to the limits on character choice and associated costs. And perhaps varied by the culture of the state as well. Larger more diverse states probably average out the same, but smaller or less diverse states may trend different from the average. Take all that into account and you may see the outcome.

CT was limited in characters to 6 and all numbers had to be to one side of the plate and all letters to the other, separated by a middle-height dot. (ie I saw the plate "S4" on a yellow S4, but it read "S•4". IIRC, the cost was a one-time thing so that was advantageous, but the character limitations was the gotcha. So they were probably in the middle of the road there - not too common, but not uncommon either. Here's my old CT plate and someone in MA that liked mine and got the same one:

When I would visit NH, I would see a lot of vanity plates up there, at least on the roads I traveled (southern).

In NC, you get 8 characters, they can be numbers and letters mixed together and you can have a choice of variety of punctuation. That makes it very appealing to come up with a variety of choices. At first I made use of more letters for my same-themed S4 Avant plate:

And then when I got my 911, I decided to make use of the variety of punctuation available just for the fun of it:

If this link works, here you can see the many vanity plates I've seen, mostly local NC:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=9553c81388
Old 07-29-2013, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MarkP: I've noticed a lot of vanity plates in NH too. I personally wanted one when I first moved here, but now I'm turned off because if too many people think it's cheesy then I'll feel self-conscious!
Old 07-29-2013, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I wouldn't want to be "cheesy" either.

I went with "Q5 TDI" because I wanted to promote diesel and its easy to remember.

Getting old...