Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grand Cherokee

So here is the deal. Love my Q5. Love it love it. But, that said the new jeep seems really impressive. It has the looks, quality is now there, good size. Yes, it is not an Audi. My wife and I both drive the q5 but she would get it full time. I am thinking the jeep grand Cherokee limited with v6 or hemi leaning toward the guzzle hemi but oh what a nice engine or BMW x5. Or I could try to wait it out for an eventual new q7 or rumored q6 which is like the x6. Argghhhh. Thoughts?
Old 12-18-2011, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, X5 over all of them.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default WAIT

It will still be a JEEP.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mitch105
So here is the deal. Love my Q5. Love it love it. But, that said the new jeep seems really impressive. It has the looks, quality is now there, good size. Yes, it is not an Audi. My wife and I both drive the q5 but she would get it full time. I am thinking the jeep grand Cherokee limited with v6 or hemi leaning toward the guzzle hemi but oh what a nice engine or BMW x5. Or I could try to wait it out for an eventual new q7 or rumored q6 which is like the x6. Argghhhh. Thoughts?
The JGC in its latest incarnation is quite impressive and priced quite nicely - cheaper than the equivalent Q5. Many parts from the MB M-Class.

Pity about the fuel consumption.

Had a 1999 model which I lemoned. Once bitten, thrice shy...

Old 12-18-2011, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Having just dumped an '01 X5 with 213K miles on it (traded it in on the Q5) and currently driving a 2010 GC (old body style), I would recommend going the route of the newer GC. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED my X5 when it wasn't in the shop, but to get it to 200+K miles I probably put about $15K in repairs along the way (those are repairs, not routine maintenance).

I am really digging the $22 oil changes I now have with the GC, and that is even with a Hemi (X5 usually ran $100).

Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Nothing wrong with the Grand Cherokee. I have it on my radar as well as a possible replacement for my Forester, but I won't give it any serious consideration until the diesel arrives in a year or so. Rumored to get 28 MPG with Fiat's V6 oil burner. If not interested in the diesel, you should at least wait until the 8-speed auto debuts.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HotRodW
Nothing wrong with the Grand Cherokee. I have it on my radar as well as a possible replacement for my Forester, but I won't give it any serious consideration until the diesel arrives in a year or so. Rumored to get 28 MPG with Fiat's V6 oil burner. If not interested in the diesel, you should at least wait until the 8-speed auto debuts.
The new Grand Cherokee, a friend of mine has the V6 model and it is a solid ride, VERY comfortable and drives very nicely. I actually like it a lot.

28mpg isn't too impressive though for a diesel. they can do better!
Old 12-18-2011, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the feedback. I agree about waiting for the 8 speed like in our Q5. It is a terrific tranny and extracts better fuel economy.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was actually considering a GC before I put the deposit on the Q5. I even rented one from Avis to see how I liked it. Was almost ready to put a deposit on it, until I test drove the Q5. It came down to the Q5 being a lot more fun and much quicker to drive. I still like the GC however. The V6 I drove didnt have any real power, so I would have gotten a Hemi with the 8speed when it comes out, If I had decided on the GC. But the fact that even the Q5 2.0 is quicker than the hemi, and the resale value of the Q sealed the deal for me. The GC in bright silver is stunning.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dngrmse
If I had decided on the GC. But the fact that even the Q5 2.0 is quicker than the hemi, and the resale value of the Q sealed the deal for me. The GC in bright silver is stunning.
I forgot to say resale earlier too. That is a big factor.

Quick Reply: Grand Cherokee