Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by xfirechief
I forgot to say resale earlier too. That is a big factor.
Resale is a factor for sure. But negotiated deals on the GC are thousands below window sticker, making depreciation seem exaggerated when calculated as a percentage of window sticker. And if you don't mind buying used, you should be able to find some amazing bargains.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HotRodW
Resale is a factor for sure. But negotiated deals on the GC are thousands below window sticker, making depreciation seem exaggerated when calculated as a percentage of window sticker. And if you don't mind buying used, you should be able to find some amazing bargains.
my buddy got his for 21 grand with under 5k miles. a base model one....still very nice
Old 12-18-2011, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes resale in not going to be like Audi or BMW. But if you can get a discount and plan on keeping 5yrs plus I'd say resale is less an issue. 3yrs or less you will be burned and I doubt the gc leases very well.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had many jeeps, cj-5, cj-7, 5.9 limited

all did what they were intended to do VERY well ! and all had over 100K miles before I let the go for something new...
really liked the 5.9 limited - it was the top of the heap at the time !

Looked at the new srt8 before getting the Q, but since it was the wife's turn and her daily commute is rather long we went for the Q....
Old 12-18-2011, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had three jeeps in a row. Loved them all until I got the 2005 JGC. It had no power and guzzled gas. Horrible combination. Even litle things like the cloth seats staining from rain water was ridiculous.

Traded it in at a loss after 9 months as it was such a POS. Would wait until the 8 speed at the very least came out and was out at least 6-9 months so any bugs that were hidden surfaced at someone else's expense.

As someone else put it, once bitten twice shy.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The new Grand Cherokee is a product of the Chrysler Daimler merger. The basic components of the Grand Cherokee is very similar with the old ML class. The quality is very good and it is design and build like a tank. I had a 95 GC and that SUV did everything it was design to do. The new GC will do the same with a added touch of entry level luxury.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Must be a reason they sell for way below sticker. My Q 5 sure didn't.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:01 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by xfirechief
It will still be a JEEP.
Funny coming from someone who owns a Mustang.

The new JGC is a well built SUV both on the inside and out.
It comes with three great engines but personally id opt for the Pentastar V6 w/305hp. Plenty of hp and good fuel economy.

I don't see resale as a huge issue because chances are it will cost you more the maintain the Q5.

Both great vehicles and you won't lose with either.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree, resale value is not a big deal since the discount is more when buying a new Jeep, it kind of offset each other. American cars always have more discount and rebates, they have been operating like that for years.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I came from an 07' GC Overland Diesel (highest model besides the SRT8) and had a number of problems with it - the engine was half rebuilt, new tranny, poor mileage, problems with the Nav system, to name a few. I was stuck between the Q5 and new GC, but ultimately went with the Q5 after considering the fact that my family has never had problems with their Audis across 2 A4s and a Q5. Keep in mind that this IS comparing apples to oranges - the GC is a big American SUV where the Q5 is a German sport crossover, but looks shouldn't be the only factor when choosing a vehicle. Jaguars look nice, until they fall apart at 20,000 miles, am I right? Looking at the new GC, sure it does offer some amenities not available in the Q5 (adjustable ride height, cooled seats, adaptive cruise - Canada doesn't offer that on CDN models) but looking at the Q5...it's an Audi - I needed not go any further than that.

Quick Reply: Grand Cherokee