Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GC gets Nav updates annually and my backup camera worked at delivery!!
Old 12-19-2011, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BirdmanQ5
I came from an 07' GC Overland Diesel (highest model besides the SRT8) and had a number of problems with it - the engine was half rebuilt, new tranny, poor mileage, problems with the Nav system, to name a few. I was stuck between the Q5 and new GC, but ultimately went with the Q5 after considering the fact that my family has never had problems with their Audis across 2 A4s and a Q5. Keep in mind that this IS comparing apples to oranges - the GC is a big American SUV where the Q5 is a German sport crossover, but looks shouldn't be the only factor when choosing a vehicle. Jaguars look nice, until they fall apart at 20,000 miles, am I right? Looking at the new GC, sure it does offer some amenities not available in the Q5 (adjustable ride height, cooled seats, adaptive cruise - Canada doesn't offer that on CDN models) but looking at the Q5...it's an Audi - I needed not go any further than that.
Agreed. Most American made vehicles look good for the first two years (there are always exceptions), but after that they start to lossen up and squeak and rattle not to mention perform poorly. I love the looks of the new JGC and features, but then I did with the JGC 05 model I had, and all the "Experts" loved it. Until a year later where they turned on it like coyotes on a freshly killed carcas.

If you are going to go with the JGC, wait until the better tranny arrives and after that at least six months to see what the chat boards say. I will never put stock in what the "experts" say after my run in with the 05 JGC and 07 AT X3. Both complete POS. The MT 08 X3 I have they did not like and it is one of the better vehicles I own.

Bottom line wait to see what the public says. Remember Consumer Reports said that the Pinto was a great car too.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant
Funny coming from someone who owns a Mustang.

Both great vehicles and you won't lose with either.
Did not mean any disrespect.

I just mean it is a common vehicle. Don't see many Q 5's or Mustang Cobras in my area. That is one reason we switched to Audi, we had a Lexus RX & they are everywhere on the road.

Cobra only gets out in the summer, storied all winter.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like no one on the board actually has a new one (GC) though, right?

My MiL replaced her Ford Freestyle (great car) with one in summer 2010. I've driven it extensively, including on 4 hour + road trips. It's also a great truck, but very different than the Audi. If the Q feels closer to a sports sedan, the GC feels closer to a truck. Great interior, really fantastic looking exterior. She has a top of the line summit Overland with every bell and whistle.

I agree with the poster who said X5. $15k isn't all that much to get a luxury vehicle to 200k.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:22 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Reisen
Sounds like no one on the board actually has a new one (GC) though, right?

My MiL replaced her Ford Freestyle (great car) with one in summer 2010. I've driven it extensively, including on 4 hour + road trips. It's also a great truck, but very different than the Audi. If the Q feels closer to a sports sedan, the GC feels closer to a truck. Great interior, really fantastic looking exterior. She has a top of the line summit Overland with every bell and whistle.

I agree with the poster who said X5. $15k isn't all that much to get a luxury vehicle to 200k.
My mother has a 2011 with the Pentastar/20" wheels/luxury package.
I've driven it plenty of times and do agree it's a different animal.
There is not a lot of history on the Pentastar but I would guess a turbo engine
would have issues before an N/A.

The decision is really preference and determined by opinion. Since both vehicles are fairly new to the market there is not a lot of high mileage users that could say they if they are reliable or not.

Last edited by Audirings4; 12-22-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but it didn't make sense to start a new one really.

How is the AWD system in the new Grand Cherokee? Too late now, obviously, but we should have at least looked the Jeep before getting the Q5. Then again, one of the main selling points with Audi was the AWD system, so I was just curious how the Jeep system compares.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2015, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Check Consumer Reports.

Jeep ranks among the worst five brands. Audi a top five.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobile...tml/?a=viewall

Last edited by Deckardk; 09-16-2015 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Link added.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckardk
Jeep ranks among the worst five brands. Audi a top five.

5 Car Brands to Buy And 5 to Avoid From Consumer Reports
Thanks, although that didn't really answer my question. The view by brand is too generic - there can be good and bad products in each one. Looking at TrueDelta, both the Q5 and the GC are kind of average when it comes to reliability, but it'll probably cost less to fix the Jeep once it's off warranty.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

I leased a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee in Feb 2013. It was the Overland model with the 5.9 ltr Hemi. It deserves mentioning here that the interior of the GC is top notch.....maybe nicer than the Audi even, although it does feel a little dark and cave like. I spent considerable time and money trying to get the 0-60 times down into the sixes. Cold air, larger throttle body, cat back exhaust, and Diablo Sport tuning. I never could get the thing to feel "quick" in any way. It's very heavy and feels that way. And the gas mileage was terrible......somewhere around 12 mpg even when I kept my foot off the pedal. After a year, I sold the lease and bought an SQ5, which gave me the quickness and responsiveness, as well as the overall quality I was looking for. Just take a good look under the hoods of each car and the quality difference becomes apparent
The GC really is geared more for it's off road capability, which is impressive, while the Q5 is more of a highway star.
IMHO, the two really are apples and oranges.

Originally Posted by Mitch105
So here is the deal. Love my Q5. Love it love it. But, that said the new jeep seems really impressive. It has the looks, quality is now there, good size. Yes, it is not an Audi. My wife and I both drive the q5 but she would get it full time. I am thinking the jeep grand Cherokee limited with v6 or hemi leaning toward the guzzle hemi but oh what a nice engine or BMW x5. Or I could try to wait it out for an eventual new q7 or rumored q6 which is like the x6. Argghhhh. Thoughts?

Last edited by USAVAGEU; 09-16-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ What he said. Two different roles.

Very quick and nimble, the Q5, and the TDI mileage is sublime. Getting 29 mpg overall with a lead foot, and got 34.5 mpg driving cross country, door two door with tolls and other stops.

Quick Reply: Grand Cherokee