Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

gray interior or black interior with Ibis White? any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gray interior or black interior with Ibis White? any thoughts?

Haven't really seen the Gray interior on the Audi but I've seen a lot of people choose a lighter interior with the Ibis but I don't like the beige b/c I feel it would be harder to maintain so was going to go with black but then I noticed the Gray option...any thoughts? resale, etc. I'm planning a purchase and keeping it at least 5 years. thanks
Old 04-15-2013, 10:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have Steel Grey, had Beige before that. If anything Grey is lighter than Beige, so you may want to go black/chestnut if that's a concern. FWIW, it's really not tough to clean it just shows dirt easier, sort of like a black exterior.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Have you seen the chestnut brown? Looks great with white!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I looked at grey for the RS4 and noticed that grey color shows cracks in the leather more than any other color. I went black (the only other choice - as custom leather for the RS was US$14k) but for our Q5 we went with the tan - my favorite

Old 04-15-2013, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Black makes the cabin feel smaller. Lighter colors feel more spacious. Black is hotter since it absorbs heat. Lighter colors are more forgiving. Dyes from clothing can come off on light leathers. If you prefer not to take time to spray some cleaner and scrub the seats with a soft brush, get the black. It's the least amount of maintenance. Go to car selling websites such as cars.com or autotrader to see photos of cars in the combinations you are considering.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

White on Black and you will never go back

Seriously, the black interior with the white exterior is a great contrast and is somewhat ageless. Good for resale.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by prosgal73
Haven't really seen the Gray interior on the Audi but I've seen a lot of people choose a lighter interior with the Ibis but I don't like the beige b/c I feel it would be harder to maintain so was going to go with black but then I noticed the Gray option...any thoughts? resale, etc. I'm planning a purchase and keeping it at least 5 years. thanks
I don't think gray interior goes well with white exterior. White on white, maybe but gray, ummmm nah.

I like beige (had it for the last 25 years) for the practical aspect of it that the carpeting is also beige which compared to the black that you get with Chestnut and black interiors, it;s much easier to find things that drop on the floor. Black carpets, to me, are like black holes.... hard to find stuff, especially at night. ALso, it may be cultural but black is what is on inexpensive cars for which there's limited or no choice at all because it goes with anything.

There is no perfect color. Each will have it's plusses and minuses. You should get whats good for you. I go with the one that makes me smile about spending $40K+ when I walk up and sit down. Not when I walk up sit down and remember it's supposed to feel bigger or because it doesn't require as much cleaning up.

My next interior will be chestnut. That's what all the Rolls, Bentley, and Jags have in the grocery store parking lot where I live. :-)

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 04-15-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dsackman
White on Black and you will never go back

Seriously, the black interior with the white exterior is a great contrast and is somewhat ageless. Good for resale.

AMEN! Classic combo. I like the Ibis White better than the Glacier White.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

all great points, thank you! any thoughts on the 18" vs 19" wheels. I really don't want to order and am trying to locate one already around but there are a lot more 18" around since it's standard. The 19"s do look nicer but any difference other than that? the ride?
Old 04-15-2013, 04:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

me too! Ibis over Glacier!

Quick Reply: gray interior or black interior with Ibis White? any thoughts?