Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Hacking MMI to display movies off SD card

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by teradost123
Not really for me i use it to keep the kids entertained while on long drives. So use to it beeing there I dont even notice it.
Try that explanation on the cop that pulls you over. I don't think under the law it matters that you're not watching it. I believe it can't be in the field of vision of the driver. Why not just give the kids a cheap DVD player that they can use in the back seat? Much less trouble (and probably cheaper) than what I'm seeing here.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jimdolian
In every state I've ever lived in, it is illegal to play a movie that is visible to the driver if the car is not parked. Are you folks actually watching movies while you're driving?
Thank You for reminding us but...
The question wasn't whether or not it's legal.
The question is how to display movies off SD card.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by xpspc
Thank You for reminding us but...
The question wasn't whether or not it's legal.
The question is how to display movies off SD card.
With all due respect, we have enough distracted driving without adding drivers who are watching movies on their dashboard displays. Let me guess: You'll be eating a burger, drinking a drink, texting on your phone and watching a movie while driving. Please let me know when you'll be in my area so I can keep my SQ5 and Carrera S in the garage. IMHO, this forum should not be used as a vehicle to encourage illegal activity.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

....You'll be eating a burger, drinking a drink, texting on your phone and watching a movie while driving. Please let me know when you'll be in my area so I can keep my SQ5 and Carrera S in the garage...
I know you're trying to be helpful but your information gets us no further to overall endstate:
how to display movies off SD card
Making assumptions simply means believing things are a certain way with little or no evidence that shows you are correct.
If you want to make up bad things about me, what does that say about you?
Old 08-17-2016, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

With all due respect, we have enough distracted driving without adding drivers who are watching movies on their dashboard displays. Let me guess: You'll be eating a burger, drinking a drink, texting on your phone and watching a movie while driving. Please let me know when you'll be in my area so I can keep my SQ5 and Carrera S in the garage. IMHO, this forum should not be used as a vehicle to encourage illegal activity.
I hope that your garage is bigger than this

Do not be angry, this is joke
Old 08-17-2016, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by xpspc
I know you're trying to be helpful but your information gets us no further to overall endstate:
how to display movies off SD card
Making assumptions simply means believing things are a certain way with little or no evidence that shows you are correct.
If you want to make up bad things about me, what does that say about you?
You are misrepresenting the issue. The real issue is playing movies stored on a SD card on a display that is in full view of the driver. If the issue were simply how to play movies stored on a SD card, that is a non-issue because it is simple and does not belong on a forum about Audi cars. I'm simply pointing out that distracted driving is extremely dangerous and should not be encouraged here or anywhere else for that matter. Moreover, some members of this forum may not realize that it is illegal in most, if not all, jurisdictions. Recent studies have shown that distracted driving is comparable to drunk driving in terms of the accident rate. I would hope that you are aware of the risk factors, are a responsible and law-abiding driver and would not seriously consider such a "hack".
Old 08-17-2016, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
Buy:

On video is Q5 MMI MY2013 -2016 NOT 2009-2011

This is written in 2013 for Q5 MY2009-2011 in that time had not supported video from SD card and I'm not sure even today that it supports although it has a new version of FW

FYI Audi MMI M2013 supports video from SD card, read the owner's manual

BYE-BYE

Keeping this thread on topic.

Thanks for this post, tried it several times and never got it right till now. And no, I don't need any moralistic lessons on distracted driving. Too old for that!

Cheers
Old 08-19-2016, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

I play a collection of music videos while driving as a novelty all the time. You rip them off youtube or where ever and simply encode them as avi (Divx codec) with mp3 audio.
All you have to remember is to give them a maximum resolution of 720x480. Be sure to match the aspect ratio of the original otherwise you'll end up with anamorphic video. (4x3 or 16x9)
Here's a screen grab of the settings that work for me:

Enjoy!