Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Halogen Headlight Conversion with HID Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 05:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CinnamonQ5
The VVME's kits are just drop-in HID bulbs with ballasts that's designed to adapt HID bulbs to halogen housings. That's the low-tech way to get HIDs. They're cheap and sort of bright but it shines light in the wrong places. It is exactly what you're trying to avoid. These guys don't do HID retros or sell the right housings.
I just contacted The Retrofit Source and will be purchasing an HID Projector retrofit kit from them. I think it's a good alternative to going OEM. Also found a great Porsche, Audi, VW, BMW shop that'll do the installation.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by burdoogo
I just contacted The Retrofit Source and will be purchasing an HID Projector retrofit kit from them. I think it's a good alternative to going OEM. Also found a great Porsche, Audi, VW, BMW shop that'll do the installation.
The retrofit is probably the cheapest way to get decent lighting.

The retrofit projectors are just bare projectors and HID components with no mounting hardware. Whoever does this conversion for you will have to cut/glue/fabricate pieces to hold this projector in to your stock housings. Then comes the wiring. This is really a hobbyist's job. Make sure that they know what they're working with. As I find it difficult to see that a regular mechanic wanting to work to epoxies and PVC pipes from Home Depot. You'll also need shrouds to finish the inside of the headlight so they'll look good.

Good luck with your retro.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CinnamonQ5
The retrofit is probably the cheapest way to get decent lighting.

The retrofit projectors are just bare projectors and HID components with no mounting hardware. Whoever does this conversion for you will have to cut/glue/fabricate pieces to hold this projector in to your stock housings. Then comes the wiring. This is really a hobbyist's job. Make sure that they know what they're working with. As I find it difficult to see that a regular mechanic wanting to work to epoxies and PVC pipes from Home Depot. You'll also need shrouds to finish the inside of the headlight so they'll look good.

Good luck with your retro.
Yes, I think the kit comes with shrouds. I don't really know what's involved in order to hold the projectors in place within the stock housing. Hopefully it won't be that tough of a job. Maybe there's an AudiWorld member in the DC area that can help me out?!?! That'd be awesome!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
Many have replaced the bulbs in the fogs with the Hoen matched lights
http://www.hoen-usa.com/
and they work well in our case !

good luck
Are these simple plug and play? Or is there extra wiring to be done?

The H11's right? http://www.hoen-usa.com/fog.htm
Old 01-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This might be a stupid question...but do they check for auto-leveling during a state inspection? In other words, how will cops know you don't have it? Will a shop install the retrofit kit if they know that it's against the law to have headlights without auto-leveling?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BirdmanQ5
Are these simple plug and play? Or is there extra wiring to be done?

The H11's right? http://www.hoen-usa.com/fog.htm
It was plug and play for me. The install was really easy, and I don't get any error codes.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

It was plug and play for me. The install was really easy, and I don't get any error codes.
I tried pulling on that trim around the fog light a little while ago and it wouldn't budge. I have S-line, how do you get at the bulb?
Old 01-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BirdmanQ5
I tried pulling on that trim around the fog light a little while ago and it wouldn't budge. I have S-line, how do you get at the bulb?
There are 3 screws holding it in place. You need a T25 screwdriver to get them out. Once you unscrew them, the lining should come right off--you might have to tug at it a little. Once you take off the liner, you should see the mount for the fog lights.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I'm trying to get my kit (http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=227) installed at this shop in Sterling, VA. They're called Funktion Auto (http://www.funktionauto.com/) and they do a lot of custom jobs for German cars.

They're charging me $115/hour for labor. Is this a reasonable price? Also, if anyone has any experience with installing these types of kits, how long does it typically take? I'm trying to figure out the total cost for labor.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

There are 3 screws holding it in place. You need a T25 screwdriver to get them out. Once you unscrew them, the lining should come right off--you might have to tug at it a little. Once you take off the liner, you should see the mount for the fog lights.
3 screws on the bulb housing itself right? I mean the "mesh" grille trim if that makes any sense. I don't see any screws there, just poke my fingers through and pull?

Quick Reply: Halogen Headlight Conversion with HID Kit