Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Halogen Headlight Conversion with HID Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 04:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BirdmanQ5
3 screws on the bulb housing itself right? I mean the "mesh" grille trim if that makes any sense. I don't see any screws there, just poke my fingers through and pull?
I didn't do it through the grille. I pulled the liner from the wheel well and went in through the back. I tried taking the grille piece off, but wasn't able to.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by burdoogo
I didn't do it through the grille. I pulled the liner from the wheel well and went in through the back. I tried taking the grille piece off, but wasn't able to.
So just remove these screws (plus another one higher) and it will pull away?

Old 01-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BirdmanQ5
So just remove these screws (plus another one higher) and it will pull away?

Yes, it should. Use a T25 screwdriver.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just changed the reg halogen to HID[with blasts], in the Volvo. Its worth it.
The light buld[or arc bulb really], consumes 35 w[vs 55 w], and gives far more light, and also non-yellow.
Its preferred to havea bulb with 500 deg K color temp to have a real white light. Any temp above takes the white away turnng into Blue...and some crazy people go for 8000k, with purple looking lights.

115/hr seems high for this kinda work which is straight forward...and the seller includes the instrns.
Just need to find a good place to mount the blasts that they don't get water and also good to use a vibration-damping mat'l between the car body and the blast.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I meant 5000k, but lot of stuff made in China is available for $40-60 a kit[pair], which is 6000k.....slightly bluish not bad. But certainly not WHITE.

This Chinese crap will not take vibrations or wet environment,the seals they ve don't look great, and their rubber compounds are not going to take engine heat radiation very well.
You get what you pay for , but some inherent deficiencies can be countered...if they re recognized.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Harinder Singer
I meant 5000k, but lot of stuff made in China is available for $40-60 a kit[pair], which is 6000k.....slightly bluish not bad. But certainly not WHITE.

This Chinese crap will not take vibrations or wet environment,the seals they ve don't look great, and their rubber compounds are not going to take engine heat radiation very well.
You get what you pay for , but some inherent deficiencies can be countered...if they re recognized.
I just replaced my fog lamps to HID to match my HID headlights.
I was able to match the Kelvin on it by using 4300k, the 5000k is still has a little bit of bluish color.
Activated the fog light to turn on with DRL, pretty cool on daylight.

Good luck on yours
Old 01-23-2012, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by burdoogo
There are 3 screws holding it in place. You need a T25 screwdriver to get them out. Once you unscrew them, the lining should come right off--you might have to tug at it a little. Once you take off the liner, you should see the mount for the fog lights.

Here's a pic:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/alb...ctureid=231201

ez - just turn wheel to one side for clearance - swap it, then turn wheel the other way
Old 01-23-2012, 03:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
Here's a pic:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/alb...ctureid=231201

ez - just turn wheel to one side for clearance - swap it, then turn wheel the other way
Perfect!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

I know this is a little older post, and it sounds like you have your lights taken care of. But wanted to add my 2 cents for other people that might read this. I just upgraded my fogs to HID's 35w 5000k color. I buy all my HID kits from a place called Black Knight Lighting. Kyle, the guy that owns the company is awesome. His website isn't the best, but if you email him he will get back to you. I saw his lights, HID Kits, LED bars and blocks on a show I watch, so I figured I would try them out. He is a local guy in SoCal. A lot of his product is used in Baja racing, so it is tough and can take a beating. His pricing is really good and the best part is its lifetime warranty on the Bulbs and Ballast. I have had only 1 bulb and a misc wiring problem and he sent me new stuff no questions asked. I have his HID kits in my '01 Tahoe for Low beam and fog lights. (i also readjust my headlights to point a little lower and a tad more to the right then normal, so I don't have to worry about pissing people off, even though at stock setting I had no issues. I just wanted to be courteous.) my '99 Yukon which I upgraded to project housings and then the HID kits for low beam, and the '99 Corolla has H/L H4 HID kit and now the Fog lights on the Q5. I now need to do the headlights on the Q5 as the stock HID's now look yellow compared to the 5000k Fog Lights. So I have asked Kyle if he can get me a D3S kit for the H/L Headlights.
So far all my kits have worked great, hold up to four wheeling (in the yukon) and the horrible freeways of NorCal. lol All in all I have only spent just over $300 on all the kits, that is 5 kits. All his kits are plug and play. It took me 5 mins to do the fog lights on the Q5.
So if you are in the market for a good set of HID's Kits check out the Black Knight Lighting kits.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

Putting a cheap hid kit in your Q5 premium model is a bad plan for many reasons.
Other forums speak of module failures due to power spikes. Not warranteed if junk hid kid observed.
Existing halogen housing needs to be violated because the power wire is inside the housing and the ballast will not fit inside it.
Your expensive Q5 will look like a $200 Honda Civic. Blinding oncoming drivers risking lives maybe yours.
The existing stock halogens are the best halogens I have ever seen. The high beams are every bit as bright as my adaptive xenons in my other car due to 4 bulbs on versus 2.
If you want an Audi with xenons buy it that way or retrofit the OEM minimum without the self leveling.
My 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Halogen Headlight Conversion with HID Kit