Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Hand wash - tips...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hand wash - tips...

OK..DrV's post about washing and waxing really motivated to wash my Q5 myself and planning to do that on Saturday afternoon (Thanks DrV!).

Now I know what parents of newborns must be going through - trying to do the best and give the best for their babies! :-). So I did quite a bit of research on this forum about car wash. I read all over that a commercial wash is not a great idea for the Q5.

All this while, I have only taken my car to something like Mr. Wash and this is my first hand wash. This is my first new car as well and I want to take "washing your car 101" class a bit slowly. I know some of you treat it as a Science over here but bear with me while I learn the tricks of the trade a bit slow.

For now, I want to stop at a local auto store on my way from work tomorrow and get these items -
1) Armor All exterior wash and wax solution
2) Armor All wheel cleaner
3) RainX glass cleaner.
3) Microfiber cloth (6 pieces) - 1 for exterior body wipe, 1 for Glass wipe and 1 for the wheels.
4) 2 bottles of sprayer - to move the exterior wash and wax into a sprayer and another sprayer for the wheel cleaner.

I just plan to spray the solution and wipe it with the micro-fiber cloth. Nothing too crazy.

any other tips? Major do's and don'ts?

Thanks for the thoughts!
Old 07-01-2010, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may have a lot to learn and this is the place to learn...http://www.autopia.org/
Old 07-01-2010, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by audi_q5_Md_Dc
Any other tips? Major do's and don'ts?

Thanks for the thoughts!
Hi audi_q5_Md_Dc. Well, here are a few thoughts off the top of the ol' noggin:

1) A good quality wheel brush may come in handy depending on your wheel size/style (I personally don't recommend Audi's wheel brush);

2) NO circular motions when washing with the wash mitt;

3) Speaking of wash mitts, I use two. One dedicated for the wheels/exhaust and a good quality mitt for the car;

4) Rinse the soap off of the vehicle with a soft spray or remove the spray nozzel;

5) A large microfiber towel is great for the larger surfaces;

6) Didn't see you mention anything for tire shine;

7) Last, but not least, I HIGHLY recommend a Grit Guard. The last thing you want is some little stone chip embedded in your wash mitt. The Grit Guard prevents picking debris up in the bucket when rinsing your mitt.

As for products, I'm sure you'd get a million suggestions on which to get. My suggestion would be: don't skimp on cheap stuff. Remember - you only get what you pay for!

If I think of anything else, I'll drop another note.

Now...take good care of your baby .

Last edited by Old Dog; 07-01-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RCM09
You may have a lot to learn and this is the place to learn...http://www.autopia.org/

+1 and try this place also:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/
Old 07-01-2010, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am not suggesting that anyone else's method is not as good as mine or incorrect but this is what I do and what I suggest.
1. Forget wash/wax combo products...JUNK
2. Use 2 buckets...one for soap/shampoo solution and one for rinsing
3. If you haven't wax/sealed your Q5 yet then use DAWN dishwashing liquid to wash. Once you've sealed your baby, use a decent car shampoo as it is designed to clean without removing your sealer.
4. I use microfiber towels to clean and always clean the underside of the bumpers and rocker panels last...they hold the most dirt and grit
5. Never use a sponge to clean as it tends to hold more dirt/grit.
6. I always wash my wheels/tires first and never use the towels, rinse water, or soapy water on the paint that I use for the wheels.
7. Always dry your vehicle after washing. Many will use terry towels because they are cheap and readily available and do a decent job. I use a silicone water blade followed up with Sonus Drying Towels.
8. Open doors, rear hatch, and hood and dry/wipe down all wet(normally hidden) surfaces. You may be surprised how much dust/dirt accumulates in these areas.
9. Check out Autopia and Zaino websites for insight on detailing and products
10. Buy some Gummipfledge and treat all rubber trim and weatherstripping 3-4 times a year. Regular treatments will keep the rubber looking new... "forever".
11. FWIW, I use Paint Guard Plus on all my vehicles...super easy to apply and "glows"...even birdshiz beads up!
I'm sure there something I've forgotten so email me if you have any questions. BTW, I wouldn't let most so-called "Detailers" touch any of me cars.
12. Oh yeah...tires/wheels. I use Zaino "Perfect Tire..." and always seal the wheels with the same thing I use on the paint, Paint Guard Plushttp://www.autopia-carcare.com/ult-1012-100.html
A 4oz bottle will likely do your Q5 at least 3-4 times.
Have fun!
Old 07-01-2010, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I would agree with the other posts here and check the forums mentioned - BUT don't let all that information make your head go swimming...and I speak from some experience - I have a ton of waxes and polishes and all sorts of detailing stuff, but many times, I find it relaxing, or more rather fun, doing some car detailing, but that's just me. For a more "normal" :>) type approach, my recommendation is not to believe in the theory that you need to buy super expensive, boutique waxes and equipment to take proper care of your car. I am by no means an expert, nor would I ever pretend to be, but do buy quality products - don't buy $1.00 mitts and towels because the quality of the material is poor and can even result in giving your car's clearcoat more swirls and scratches than you can imagine.
If you are intersted in investing a bit more time and effort in order to really keep your car's exterior in top shape (and you may not be) use a detailing clay (after a thorough washing). You would be amazed at what a difference it makes; it removes those airborne contaminants and what-not that mars the finish and prevents the wax from doin' it's job. Claying need only be done once a year.
Use a gentle car wash soap and a high quality mitt/sponge and rinse thoroughly.Use a high quality microfiber or high quality all cotton towel for drying. Since the car is new, I would go to a good sealent type product (a sealent places a very thin, but effective layer of protection over your clearcoat, offering more and longer lasting protection than a wax)- Klasse Griot's Garage and Zaino (amongst others) come to mind. After that, if you want to take it a step further, apply a quality wax to give it a "deeper" shine. Use a detailing spray after you wash it again and you will notice a much better result than a simple washing gives you. Using a detailing spray takes less than 15 minutes start to finish and is well worth the effort.
Avoid using silicone products on the tires - ain't good for the rubber and looks fake to boot! Without getting into all the "boutique" products out here, I like the previously mentioned brands - Zaino, Griot's Garage and Klasse. The first two lines offer everything - soups to nuts, for total car care while Klasse has 2 products - one's a polish and sealent, the other a non-polish sealent.

Bob
Old 07-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the information olddog and HBDWT! It feels a bit overwhelming and i am trying to ease into the process a bit :-). I will try my best to keep it simple. I will go to pepboys over lunch and get the stuff.

1) I will add these 3 items to the list -
a) wheel brush (i have 18" wheels BTW)
b) grit guard the list
c) drying towels
2) I will wash the wheels first
3) I will use different mitts for wheels and rest of the body
4) No. I haven't waxed my car yet.
5) I have no idea what is the difference between wash/wax and soap/shampoo solutions! will google them now. I haven;t "wax/sealed" by Q5 yet.

will keep you posted..
Old 07-01-2010, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default First hand job?? Damn you make me feel old!

Originally Posted by audi_q5_Md_Dc
This is my first new car ... and I want to take "washing your car 101" class a bit slowly.
I've been washing and waxing cars, first my parents' and then my own cars, since the 50's, and actually it doesn't take much more than a good paste like Turtle Wax or liquid like Nu Finish to keep your new Q5 looking great. Just make sure you wash your car thoroughly first, use a microfiber or 100% cotton cloth to buff, and clean those rims and tires before applying a tire shine product. Be extra careful with black and dark colors, they show swirl marks easily.

Today's clear coat finishes don't require nearly as much extra work as in the olden days, but of course many people swear by this or that product, and you can search forum after forum and get a zillion different opinions and pay a lot more. Yes, you can Dawn and clay and use this or that but IMO nothing is really going to keep your vehicle shining much longer than another product.

Twice a year will keep it looking good enough, unless you are really into weekly cleaning or competitive car meets.

Wow, am I going to get flamed for my comments!
Old 07-01-2010, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Loophole
I've been washing and waxing cars, first my parents' and then my own cars, since the 50's, and actually it doesn't take much more than a good paste like Turtle Wax or liquid like Nu Finish to keep your new Q5 looking great. Just make sure you wash your car thoroughly first, use a microfiber or 100% cotton cloth to buff, and clean those rims and tires before applying a tire shine product. Be extra careful with black and dark colors, they show swirl marks easily.

Today's clear coat finishes don't require nearly as much extra work as in the olden days, but of course many people swear by this or that product, and you can search forum after forum and get a zillion different opinions and pay a lot more. Yes, you can Dawn and clay and use this or that but IMO

Twice a year will keep it looking good enough, unless you are really into weekly cleaning or competitive car meets.

Wow, am I going to get flamed for my comments!
I basically agree with you on most counts, but would take exception, not flame you, for the comment -"nothing is really going to keep your vehicle shining much longer than another product". I disagree. Sealents provide more protection than wax products, unless you keep your car garaged; if so, much differences are small to nonexistent. If your car spends time outside, a sealent will last several months longer and off more protection from bird droppings, air contamination, etc.,etc. And sealents are extremely easy to apply - much easier than waxing. You don't have to clay your car, but the difference, even to the untrained eye is noticable. The products that you mention are quite good, inexpensive and readily available. The items that I mentioned are also quite good, relatively inexpensive and a tad, and only a tad, less available - as in you aren't walking into Strauss and picking them up, but the Internet makes this type of shopping as easy and painless as possible.

Good luck with your car - any good wax is better than no wax.

Bob

Last edited by bob m; 07-02-2010 at 03:45 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 07-01-2010, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Bob, No problem with your advice...

..and happy for you that you have been reunited with your Q5.

Mine is garaged most of the time, this pic is after my second wax since purchase back in March 09... shine is OK with me.

Quick Reply: Hand wash - tips...