Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Heated side mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Heated side mirrors

Last night, my wife turned on the heated side mirror and it did not work. It was a warm summer night after some rain so the side mirror was foggy, the temp was about 75 deg. The mirror **** was in the center position. I know that the Audi heated mirrors have a temp sensor in it which prevents the heat element from coming on at a certain temp, does anybody else have problem defogging the side mirror when its 70 deg outside? There are some post that suggusted having the mirror adjustment **** in the middle and pushing it once will override the temp sensors, anybody know if there is any truth to that?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Last night, my wife turned on the heated side mirror and it did not work. It was a warm summer night after some rain so the side mirror was foggy, the temp was about 75 deg. The mirror **** was in the center position. I know that the Audi heated mirrors have a temp sensor in it which prevents the heat element from coming on at a certain temp, does anybody else have problem defogging the side mirror when its 70 deg outside? There are some post that suggusted having the mirror adjustment **** in the middle and pushing it once will override the temp sensors, anybody know if there is any truth to that?
If I am not mistaken, I believe that the defrost for the mirrors is linked with the one for the rear window. If the **** is at the defrost position and you turn on the rear defrost, it will work.

I do not have the user manual at hand, maybe you should take a look at it.

If it works as I think, I must say it is not the most intuitive thing... At least there are not too many thigns like that in the Q5.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MartinQ5
If I am not mistaken, I believe that the defrost for the mirrors is linked with the one for the rear window. If the **** is at the defrost position and you turn on the rear defrost, it will work.

I do not have the user manual at hand, maybe you should take a look at it.

If it works as I think, I must say it is not the most intuitive thing... At least there are not too many thigns like that in the Q5.
We tried the rear defroster and the mirror **** at the same time, no luck. I wonder if the thermal sensor on the mirror was preventing the heated mirror from Turing on.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i think i remember the dealer telling me that the heat needs to be on in order for the mirrors to defrost with the **** in the center position. I could be wrong on this one but give that a try.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sacker00
i think i remember the dealer telling me that the heat needs to be on in order for the mirrors to defrost with the **** in the center position. I could be wrong on this one but give that a try.
the heat does not have to be on in order for the heated mirrors to work. my guess is that it was too hot outside for the heater mirrors to work effectively in this case.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

If I remember correctly, this is dependent on outside temperature. Kind of a stupid design decision as opposed to a simple on/off button if you ask me...
Old 06-14-2010, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by hernan1304
If I remember correctly, this is dependent on outside temperature. Kind of a stupid design decision as opposed to a simple on/off button if you ask me...
You are right, we try it the other day when it was 60 deg out and it worked. So if you have a foggy side mirror after a rain storm on a hot summer day, you are out of luck. They should have just have it run on a timer like everyone else.