Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

'Heavy' gas pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 'Heavy' gas pedal?

I've noticed on my 2010 Q5 (with about 1,400 miles) that the gas pedal is very hard to push, especially on initial acceleration from a stop. Relatedly, I feel that when I remove my foot from the brake pedal, the car barely starts to move (even on a flat surface), meaning that I really need to push the gas to get going. Given the 'hard to push' gas pedal I then end up really taking off (as if I'm racing someone off the line). In other words, I'm finding it very difficult to gradually/smoothly accelerate from a stop. I'm either not moving or racing ahead.

Does anyone else feel that way in their Q5. It's been like this since day 1 and I figured it might go away eventually but so far has not. I don't recall what it was like when I test drove the Q5 a couple times.

In none of my prior cars have I noticed anything like this. Normally the car starts to move as I take my foot off the brake, and I can slowly accelerate with little or no effort on the accelerator.

As previously mentioned in other posts, I had the 'clunky shifting' issue when coming to a stop. This was fixed via software/electronics updates. I wonder if it could be related though, and there is still something wrong with my lower gears?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Normal automatic crawls on flat smooth surface when you release the brake and don't press gas.

Most DSG doesn't, some I have seen slighly...

Anyways, leave your car home, use another car and go test drive another Q5 to see is it your feet or the pedal. If you don't have another car then park yours far enough the way Audi dealer doesn't see you coming with same car...

So far the few Q5's I have driven, pedal is sensitive and does not need force.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think the reason for the slight jerk off the line is that the car holds the brakes for a second so it doens't roll back. but also the gas pedal compared to a lot of other cars does need to be pushed harder and more to get goin. but once it gets goin it goes!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

John1r, I have notice that in some Audis, very little roll when no gas and brake. Usually, it will roll a little better after 6000 to 8000 miles when the car is fully break in.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all the input so far. I drove my mother's Accord today and it was absolutely the 'normal' experience that I'm used to. Lots of roll and easy acceleration. I agree that once the Audi gets going it really gets going, but I find it a struggle not to take off after a stop.

I'll probably let it go until I hit my 5,000 mile service and have them look at it then.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Q feels the same too but probably not as serious. I let the car roll a bit then step on it depending on the traffic ahead
Old 10-13-2009, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by john1r
Thanks for all the input so far. I drove my mother's Accord today and it was absolutely the 'normal' experience that I'm used to. Lots of roll and easy acceleration. I agree that once the Audi gets going it really gets going, but I find it a struggle not to take off after a stop.

I'll probably let it go until I hit my 5,000 mile service and have them look at it then.
Most of the Japanese cars I have driven are like that, they roll like crazy. I prefer the German car with less roll, feels like more in control to me. Also, the German cars downshift a lot more when coasting, the Japanese cars like to stay in high gear to get better MPG.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
Most of the Japanese cars I have driven are like that, they roll like crazy. I prefer the German car with less roll, feel like more control to me. Also, the German cars downshift a lot more when coasting.
I have definitely noticed the downshift when coasting (i.e. I don't have to brake as much), and I don't mind it that much. And I have always driven Japanese cars which could explain why I'm so used to the roll.

But the lack of roll/easy acceleration in my Q5 is driving me crazy. I really feel that I have to gun it to get moving, otherwise everyone next to me just zips away (even if they aren't actually racing off the line). It's just that I'm moving so much slower than their natural acceleration.

Maybe I won't wait until 5k service and will check it out sooner with the dealer. I also want to test it using tiptronic and sport mode, b/c as I think about it, it may not be as bad in those modes.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You do need to gun it somewhat to get the Q5 moving to keep up with everybody. Well not so much gun it, but maybe up to 3000 rpm. The reason being that the Q5 is a heavy SUV with a small engine, very little torque. Also, the transmission is gear toward the high end. The combo of these factors mean slow accelaration from a stop.

Try the Q5 in the sport auto mode, it make a world of difference.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try not to press brake so hard when stopped. Not sure but sometimes I think that is what engages the hill hold.
I may be imagining but feels like my car makes faster getaways whe releasing a lightly held brake.

Maybe you just have a problem. Will watch for update

Quick Reply: 'Heavy' gas pedal?