Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

'Heavy' gas pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
Before you consider that you have a problem you need to recognise that the transmission in the Audi is completely different to the automatic transmissions you are comparing it to. The Q5 transmission is in effect an automated manual transmission. Putting it simply, it is a manual transmission with computer controlled actuators to operate the clutch and the gear change - instead of you doing it yourself (it's actually a little more complex than this but let's keep it simple). This means that when you come to a stop, it needs to disengauge the clutch to stop it from dragging and wearing out prematurely. It keeps it disengauged until you are ready to go (by releasing the brake and pressing the accelerator pedal) - it may lightly engauge the clutch when you release the brake to give the "feel" of a regular auto with a torque converter (fluid coupling). It may be possible to tune the clutch engaugement to give more or less drag when you release the brake - but I don't know.
I never knew the Audi S-tronic transmssion works like that. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Time to pull my head in?

Looks like I might have given our US based Q5'ers a bit of a bum steer....

According to this review, North America actually get a 6 speed conventional auto rather than the 7 speed S-Tronic that every other market gets.

That'll teach me to assume that all markets get the same stuff. I would have thought the only differences in the different markets would have been cosmetic and options.

Still the info still applies if you have the S-Tronic transmission rather than the conventional auto.

If nothing else, at least you'll now have a link to yet another Q5 forum resource.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
I never knew the Audi S-tronic transmssion works like that. Thanks for the info.

Hold on guys, not so fast...

NA Q5 is normal torque converter transmission.

Europe and other countries, there is manual tranny, normal torque converter and DSG.

DSG = Direkt Schalt Getriebe = Direct Shift Gearbox is similar to manual transmission but it is not same as taking normal single clutch tranny and adding computer control to it. (some brands and some 18 wheelers haves that type)

DSG is manual tranny with two shafts, two clutches and computer program controlling tranny and engine.

Computer is monitoring drivers actions and for example,

Driver floors the pedal from stand still and keeps it floored, computer engages 1st gear on the first shaft and after that prepares 2nd gear on second shaft, finally when engine rpm reaches "red line", computer stops engine acceleration -> releases 1st gear clutch -> drops engine rpm to match 2nd gear rpm -> engages 2nd gear clutch -> allows accelerarion -> prepares 3rd gear on 1st shaft and so on. All this happens in split of second so driver feels it behaving like automatic transmission.

You can do same thing manually with 18 wheeler Fuller unsyncronized transmission, 1st gear on -> give gas and release clutch -> reach red line -> acceleration off -> pull gear off without touching clutch -> lighten your feet on gas pedal to drop down engine rpm to match 2nd gear -> push shifter to 2nd gear -> gently step on the gas (if you step on suddenly it makes rpm's jump too fast and you will feel the shifting)

Last edited by kleinbus; 10-25-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kleinbus
Hold on guys, not so fast...

NA Q5 is normal torque converter transmission.
I knew it was too good to be true