Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

hello from Audi Dallas. waiting on my 25k service.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hello from Audi Dallas. waiting on my 25k service.

Anything I should mention on this service?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Have your brake pads measured? You're probably getting up there in terms of useful life left.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Parsec
Have your brake pads measured? You're probably getting up there in terms of useful life left.
Depends how person drives....

We had our Q5 for 3 years / 70k miles and original brake pads had about half left when we sold the car....
Old 01-29-2013, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kleinbus

We had our Q5 for 3 years / 70k miles and original brake pads had about half left when we sold the car....
That's amazing! You're probably doing about 4x better than average compared to the other Q5 owners here. I've never heard of such little brake pad wear, even counting cars with standard transmission. I'm going to guess you live in an area with very few traffic lights or stop signs
Old 01-29-2013, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kleinbus

Same here. Wife's '10 Q has 60k miles and still plenty of meat on front pads. Ask the dealer about your brakes, and rest assured they'll recommend replacement. I'd wait till the wear pad sensor triggers.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have about 40k and nary a squeak out of the pads so far....

and have to say, it is driven spiritedly many times...

just don't tromp on the binders that much I guess

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 01-30-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Parsec
...... live in an area with very few traffic lights or stop signs
This place is infested with traffic lights but low brake pad use/high miles was from going back and forth between Kansas City and Salt Lake City, 1100 miles one way (I70 through Denver and Eisenhower tunnel at Rockies) 4-8 times a year and even coming down the Rockies while towing a trailer, I mainly used the tiptronic and engine braking.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Just had my 25K mile service done this week at Rusnak Pasadena. I have a 2010 3.2 with under 21K miles, I drive about 8K per year. During the service the advisor called and said front pads were low almost to the sensor and rotors also needed replacing at the same time. He quoted $814 including everything. I have audicare but it doesnt cover brakes as Im sure everyone is aware of. I was highly skeptical I needed this done right away since I have heard no squeaks and the dash light is not on. I told him I don't want it done.

When I picked up the car later he said they usually find Q5s front pads and rotors need replacing between 18-25K miles. For Q7 he said its more like 14-20K I believe. For A4 he said around 35K. He then told me I might as well just drive it until the light comes on and then get it done.

How many people have had front pads and rotors done before 30K miles on here? Kind of wondering what the average is and what people paid. Also wondering if this is something Pep Boys could do or if that would be too risky. I'm sure their price wold be much better. Thx for any info...
Old 01-30-2013, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
Just had my 25K mile service done this week at Rusnak Pasadena. I have a 2010 3.2 with under 21K miles, I drive about 8K per year. During the service the advisor called and said front pads were low almost to the sensor and rotors also needed replacing at the same time. He quoted $814 including everything. I have audicare but it doesnt cover brakes as Im sure everyone is aware of. I was highly skeptical I needed this done right away since I have heard no squeaks and the dash light is not on. I told him I don't want it done.

When I picked up the car later he said they usually find Q5s front pads and rotors need replacing between 18-25K miles. For Q7 he said its more like 14-20K I believe. For A4 he said around 35K. He then told me I might as well just drive it until the light comes on and then get it done.

How many people have had front pads and rotors done before 30K miles on here? Kind of wondering what the average is and what people paid. Also wondering if this is something Pep Boys could do or if that would be too risky. I'm sure their price wold be much better. Thx for any info...
It's all over the board. A lot of people needed them done at 20k while others (like the few members posted above) have gone 60k or 70k and never needed to replace them. Like kleinbus said it mostly has to do with your driving style and how many highway miles you drive. Also it seems like people who get their brakes done at the dealership always do the rotors at the same time as their brake pad change whereas people who get it done at an independent shop usually don't change their rotors until their 2nd brake pad change.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Personally for the little additional cost, I would get the rotors changed in addition to the pads.

For independant shops that do the rear brakes, ask if they have a VAG-COM cable. If they don't run away very fast as you'll have problems with the rear brakes after. The VAG-COM cable is needed to due the rear brakes due to the electronic parking brake (it has to be told to open before taking anything off, then told to close after everything is back together, and put it on a test to get it seat properly). The Q5 is not like most cars with rear calipers where you have to push and turn at the same time; in the Q5 you "open" the electronic parking brake, then just push the piston back like you would on the front brakes, then "close" it again after everything is back together and set it on a test so that it seats the calipers/pads.