Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Help me decide if the Q5 is right for me

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The oil "consumption" problems have been greatly exaggerated

in my case it was partly new owner and partly new mmi 'gauge'....

the mmi gauge shows like 7 bars and it is NOT from full to empty, but from full to a bit gone...

Your car - your decision, but drive both comparably equipped to see what you like best.... the slick 8 speed, the torque, and mpg of the 2.0T sold us !
Old 08-31-2011, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Muray
Nah, the main driver will be my fiancee and she hates big cars. So we are trying to get the biggest small car we can get away with. I am also deciding between the 2.0 and the V6 because we both love the matt finish wood inlay in the V6. But we like the idea of the 2.0 with eight speed too...if we can have the matt wood with the 2.0 we'd take that combo in a heart beat. Oh another thing, is the steering column automated or manually adjusted?
This was our criteria. I actually would have preferred the new Explorer. More space, cheaper, better tech features, still a great engine, more rugged, and I wouldn't have felt as bad beating it up inside and out (the Q5 interior is so nice, I feel bad getting it dirty).

But the wife didn't like such a large car, and the Q5 is pretty much perfect in terms of size, how it drives, etc. It was her car, so I let her pick it.

Go with the 2.0. We were CONVINCED we were going to want the 3.2, but after driving them back to back, the 2.0 won out hands down. We did upgrade to the 19 inch wheels out of vanity, and if there had been a package to easily get the 3.2 looks, I would have chosen that, too. But the 2.0 engine and transmission is so much better...
Old 08-31-2011, 11:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am car shopping for my fiancee. After we get married we'll have a baby within a year. And probably another one a year later. So we need a car big enough to carry two small children and their stuff, such as a stroller and a diaper bag.

So far one of the vehicles we are considering is the Q5 2.0T Premium Plus. My biggest concern is safety, reliability, and cargo space. Since we'll be carrying children in the back seat, I was wondering if it was a good idea to add side airbags or not. And since Q5 isn't really known for stellar reliability, I was wondering if the bugs had been worked out, such as faulty waterpump and burning oil. And what's up with this backup camera shortage?

I have a 2011 S4 so I think I'd qualify Audi loyalty bonus, plus if I order through Zag, I can get the car $500 above invoice, which is a great deal. Anyway, let me hear your thoughts. I am very well versed in the 3.0 supercharged engine but not so much on the 2.0T...
I have not seen any of the post yet for this thread, but I would say go with the Q7... I am not a big fan of the engine 2.0, but if you're in saving gas, and yes, you can go with it, but if you consider space, go with the Q7.

Remember, having a 2.0 engine, small but powerful, in the long run, it will create too much noise... engine os too small for that size.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am car shopping for my fiancee. After we get married we'll have a baby within a year. And probably another one a year later. So we need a car big enough to carry two small children and their stuff, such as a stroller and a diaper bag.

So far one of the vehicles we are considering is the Q5 2.0T Premium Plus. My biggest concern is safety, reliability, and cargo space. Since we'll be carrying children in the back seat, I was wondering if it was a good idea to add side airbags or not. And since Q5 isn't really known for stellar reliability, I was wondering if the bugs had been worked out, such as faulty waterpump and burning oil. And what's up with this backup camera shortage?

I have a 2011 S4 so I think I'd qualify Audi loyalty bonus, plus if I order through Zag, I can get the car $500 above invoice, which is a great deal. Anyway, let me hear your thoughts. I am very well versed in the 3.0 supercharged engine but not so much on the 2.0T...
Two stroller in the Q5 is kind of pushing it, it depends on the size of the stroller. The cargo area in the Q5 with the rear seats up is really small. If you have luggage and the stroller, it could be a problem.
The Q5 drives a bit bigger than it look, I have the A6 3.0T and the A6 drives smaller than the Q5. My guess is that the Q5 is a pretty wide car which makes a lot of difference when you try to maneuver in the city as in NYC.