Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Help! .. Q5 or A4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanrocco
Okay, that's good advice. My thinking is that I want to keep the vehicle long term and other then Audi, Volvo, BMW and Saab most foreign cars don't hold their value and seem to "loosen up" and lose that new car ride and feel after a few years. It just seems to me that although Honda & Toyota are known for their short term reliability, higher priced more luxury type vehicles should be more reliable long term. Based on your comments, I'm guessing that maybe this isn't the case after all. ... I have to also say that I have read quite a few negative comments from people who have purchased a Honda over the last two years. It seems like they are having short term reliability issues.
You are right, most European cars will still drive like new when it gets old. Japanese luxury car such as Lexus, Acura and Infiniti tends to loosen much quicker. Generally, Europeans are harder to maintenace, thus costing more for their repairs. There is no doult in my mind that Japanese cars are cheaper to maintenace once pass warranty. There is an old saying that goes, lease a German car or buy a Japanese car. I have heard way too many horror stories of Germans car repairs after warranty. Yearly repair bills that goes into thousands are not uncommon.
Now might be a good time to buy a Volvo or it may not be, depending on how you look at it. Volvo is having a fire sale right, very low lease rates and deep discounts. They are trying to counter a very bad year sales wise, have you notice how many Volvos are on the dealer's lot, they cannot get rid of them. Alot of people are staying away from Volve because of the recent sale of Volvo to a Chinese company. Volvo, as a company, is very unstable right now and anything can happen in the future, but now its a good time to buy a Volvo if you are willing to take a risk, you will find a lot of good bargains.

Last edited by The G Man; 10-26-2010 at 07:25 AM.