Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Help, Q5 vs Outback

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Help, Q5 vs Outback

So i'm picking a new family car, and the subaru outback 2.5i right now has a superior good deal offering to us, which my mom likes it very much, but im a big fan of audis, and i want to get the q5, now the 2.0T is around 8000 more than the subaru but the subaru beats audi in everyway (as in storage space and the big part, dont need premium gas) my moms big on fuel economy, can anyone tell me why my mom should get the 2.0T but not outback? and can anyone justify the high octane fuel for me? i know if you put crap gas in a turbo it could kill the engine, but im not sure about this car, please help!
Old 03-03-2012, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Impossible comparison Subaru outback and Audi Q5
Subara can compare with Toyota, Mazda, Ford, Nisan.
Audi is the premium class and can be compared with Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Infinity.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use regular gas on your Audi 2.0T with no issues. you might lose a few horse powers, but nothing your mom would notice. If you test drive both cars back to back, you'll see why Audi costs 8K more. Plus, don't forget that Subie has a 4 speed automatic, which I think is ridiculous in this day and age. Audi has an 8 speed. Another common complaint against the Subie is excessive road noise. Audi feels quite isolated.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

thanks guys for your input, i still need more opinion, new outback has a CVT now, and its up to around 5 - 6 speed i think? my current subaru has a dumb 4 spd tranny which is super dumb, and i know why it cost 8k more, and to the first comment, i know its a lil different class, but thing is subaru seems to convince my mom way more than the q5, unless i can put in cheap gas, ive researched online and they say turbo cars MUST put premium gas ? :S
Old 03-03-2012, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by princetonq5
Plus, don't forget that Subie has a 4 speed automatic, which I think is ridiculous in this day and age. Audi has an 8 speed.
Correction: The Forester's transmission is a 4-speed. The Outback 2.5 has a CVT transmission. To some, a CVT isn't much better, but you don't hear many Outback owners complaining. Stepping up to the flat six gets you a conventional 5-speed auto.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

To even the 2.0T Q5 Premium Plus here are the quick shortcomings I've identified -40 less HP(Subaru rated at 5600 RPM!!!), very limited exterior/interior color combinations with Q5 all combinations are available, Subaru no locking differential, Q5 has 3-zone climate control not 2 like the Subaru, maximum wheel size is 17" with the Subaru with the Audi its 20",towing capacity of the Q5 is 4,400 lbs Subaru's is 2,700, basic warranty is 3/36 for Subaru Audi's is 4/50. I could go on and on- Subaru's website actually has a comparison tool to help you see the differences. Just remember you have to compare the Outback 2.5i Limited with the Audi Q5 Premium Plus.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

also in my opinion, you should compare the dealers. if you have a good audi dealer, then you will get peace of mind but if not you will wish that you didn't get the q5. i used to have a 2010 forester but traded it for a 2009 3.2 Q5. there is a big difference in everything. it's unfair to compare, may be the only thing that you can compare is the AWD systems and from what i've read they compete with each other. one guy had said that if you would like to compare apple to apple compare AUDI to SUBARU but other than that Audi will win. also you should see if the 2.0T engine has that issue with the carbon built-up because if you are going to keep this car it will cost you every while some money when the warranty ends. so have a good luck in your choice.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've found that buying a car is as much an emotional decision as it is a practical one. While comparing specs can be useful, the final decision isn't always based on that comparison, nor should it be.

If your mom likes the Subaru, then she could get the Subaru. The bottom line is that you have to buy the car you like, because it will be the car you will have to live with it. If you end up buying a car because of the specs or because a friend or magazine recommended it, then you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

My advice: Evaluate your needs (and wants), research the possible options, drive your top choices and buy the car you like the best. If your mom likes the Subaru best, then that's what she should get. I wouldn't waste your time trying to convince her to buy something else. You'll just get frustrated and she'll end up being pissed off at you if she ends up not liking the car you recommended. And if she ends up hating the Subaru, then she has no one to blame but herself.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yb28
So i'm picking a new family car, and the subaru outback 2.5i right now has a superior good deal offering to us, which my mom likes it very much, but im a big fan of audis, and i want to get the q5, now the 2.0T is around 8000 more than the subaru but the subaru beats audi in everyway (as in storage space and the big part, dont need premium gas) my moms big on fuel economy, can anyone tell me why my mom should get the 2.0T but not outback? and can anyone justify the high octane fuel for me? i know if you put crap gas in a turbo it could kill the engine, but im not sure about this car, please help!
I see your mom's priorities are price, storage space and fuel economy and not performance, build quality and luxury. If you convince your mom to buy the Audi, you will never hear the end of it. I would just let her buy what she want and not push her to buy what you want.
By the way, you should never use 87 octane on the 2.0T engine. 91 actane is require on this engine, not just recommnaded. Using 87 octane may cause carbon build up among other issues.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by amkmeco90
also in my opinion, you should compare the dealers. if you have a good audi dealer, then you will get peace of mind but if not you will wish that you didn't get the q5. i used to have a 2010 forester but traded it for a 2009 3.2 Q5. there is a big difference in everything. it's unfair to compare, may be the only thing that you can compare is the AWD systems and from what i've read they compete with each other. one guy had said that if you would like to compare apple to apple compare AUDI to SUBARU but other than that Audi will win. also you should see if the 2.0T engine has that issue with the carbon built-up because if you are going to keep this car it will cost you every while some money when the warranty ends. so have a good luck in your choice.
i thought only the 3.2 v6 has that carbon buiildup problem, and im leasing it so i think we pobably will change the car after 3 -4 years with a milage of just over 60000 , my current subie is 3.5 years and have 56700 km on it

Quick Reply: Help, Q5 vs Outback