Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Help, Q5 vs Outback

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dngrmse
Here's an idea-
Schedule test drives for your mom of both vehicles, make sure they are for the same day. Have your mom drive both. I've got a hunch that the audi will sell itself. If not, you can't say you didnt try.
+1.

After 12 years of nothing but Subaru's in our household, my wife really wanted to like the redesigned Outback. She was disappointed with the interior of the Outback, especially since the interior in her '99 Ltd. was nicer than the current models.

But her biggest disappointment with the Outback was the driving experience. It was just so boring and not engaging at all. She has a 30 minute commute to work and wanted something she would really enjoy. The Q5 won for driving dynamics. She was willing to give up the extra space and better fuel economy for a nicer car and one that was more enjoyable to drive. At 12k miles she hasn't had to go to the dealer except for the 5k service. The dealer experience is much better at Subaru though and we've tried two Audi dealers.

The squeak in the left front of your Subie could be that the swaybar bushing needs to be lubed.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisM
+1.

After 12 years of nothing but Subaru's in our household, my wife really wanted to like the redesigned Outback. She was disappointed with the interior of the Outback, especially since the interior in her '99 Ltd. was nicer than the current models.

But her biggest disappointment with the Outback was the driving experience. It was just so boring and not engaging at all. She has a 30 minute commute to work and wanted something she would really enjoy. The Q5 won for driving dynamics. She was willing to give up the extra space and better fuel economy for a nicer car and one that was more enjoyable to drive. At 12k miles she hasn't had to go to the dealer except for the 5k service. The dealer experience is much better at Subaru though and we've tried two Audi dealers.

The squeak in the left front of your Subie could be that the swaybar bushing needs to be lubed.
thanks man! she doesnt know too much about the feel of the car and stuff, i hope audi will self itself, and im sure it will but the thing is, i dont know if my mom will give up the fuel economy for a moe comfy car :\ i test drove it, its good, the feel is great for the outback but .. no matter how good it is..its still a subaru! and yeah something probable is broken again... we'll see!
Old 03-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You're trying to compare two different vehicles. And for what it's worth, I personally think the Subaru is the better value. Cheaper to maintain, less depreciation in five years, less expensive to purchase, similar capabilities in the snow, and the Subie will get better mileage with cheaper gas.... Should I keep going? Let her get the one she prefers. If she were cross-shopping a Yugo, then I would agree.

For reference, I own a 2012 Q5 and a 2012 Subaru.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yb28
so audi has alot of tiny problems that will always make you go back to the dealer and repair? thats a BIG thing to my family, we dont want to have a service every month, please let me know about the reliability issues with q5 ! and also, thanks everyone for their input, keep going!
I would not say Subaru is super relaible either, if you look at some of the reliability surveys, Subaru is about in the same ball park. Personally, I think Subaru is a bit more reliable simply because it is a simpler than the Q5.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Heresy64
I've found that buying a car is as much an emotional decision as it is a practical one. While comparing specs can be useful, the final decision isn't always based on that comparison, nor should it be.

If your mom likes the Subaru, then she could get the Subaru. The bottom line is that you have to buy the car you like, because it will be the car you will have to live with it. If you end up buying a car because of the specs or because a friend or magazine recommended it, then you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

My advice: Evaluate your needs (and wants), research the possible options, drive your top choices and buy the car you like the best. If your mom likes the Subaru best, then that's what she should get. I wouldn't waste your time trying to convince her to buy something else. You'll just get frustrated and she'll end up being pissed off at you if she ends up not liking the car you recommended. And if she ends up hating the Subaru, then she has no one to blame but herself.
The above is spot on.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

So glad to see this discussion. I have been pummeled for suggesting that I would compare subie to audi. I bought the Q5 and am now exploring switching to the outback. Please read my posts for a detailed description of my complaints about the Q5.

It generally drives really well..lots of fun (although the transmission is a bit clunky) but the controls are overly involved and even once mastered, are distracting and frustrating. The best example is that it takes 5 actions to pick your preset radio station vs pushing a button on the subaru and most other cars.

If you want some of the quickness of the Q5, then get the 6 cylinder Outback. It is very quick and responsive..and somewhat more predictable than the audi. The 8 gears seem to change when they want... There is more body roll in the Subaru at higher speeds... so don't make turns at 40 mph.

The Subaru definitely has more room in the way back. More comfortable second row, very comfortable driver's seat. The internal materials are not great... The fake wood is just gross (I will get a real wood kit to cover that). The Navigation on the subaru is up to date with maps but older technology. I would just use your phone for nav. The bluetooth allows streaming (not in the audi) but it won't load your phonebook automatically (audi does but duplicates for each number in each contact).

The roof rails are much more convenient on the subie (they pivot out). You have to take them off on the audi.

The subaru is not cheap...but a much better buy..and cheaper to maintain.

Again, thanks for validating that people do actually compare these cars. Don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't be comparing. You are comparing glitz to practicality as a factor just as you would compare cargo capacity. Once you are talking about the 6 cylinder, performance is really not hugely different.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

BTW, the emotional argument is true... but a lot of that emotion wears off quickly as you get used to it. Maybe you get used to the good points and they aren't as exciting.. or maybe the bad points start to exceed the good and your emotion changes. That's what happened to me.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I drove the Outback the other day to compare.

The Outback is a great car when it comes to resale value and seeming reliability, but I found the fit and finish to be a very good tier lower than the Q5. The door panels on the back seat had a lot of give/take and the back seat bench isn't bolstered in the middle. The road noise is also higher. Premium radio doesn't impress or leather seats.

When I read numerous reviews that the Outback gets squeaky after a couple of years, I'm not in the least surprised. Squeaks would drive me nuts and would cause me to sell immediately if the issue couldn't be adequately resolved. Squeaks are the result of non-tight fitting. My 12 yr old 200k mile Passat still doesn't squeak and that because it's built like a tank!

You get what you pay for I guess. If I were a grad student, early career or needed a sh!tkicker car to carry my dirty dog after the beach, the Subie would win.

But with a tad more money, the happiness factor ain't even close for me or my wife in this two car comparison....especially if you spend a lot of time in the car, which we do.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by radman2020
So glad to see this discussion. I have been pummeled for suggesting that I would compare subie to audi. I bought the Q5 and am now exploring switching to the outback. Please read my posts for a detailed description of my complaints about the Q5.

It generally drives really well..lots of fun (although the transmission is a bit clunky) but the controls are overly involved and even once mastered, are distracting and frustrating. The best example is that it takes 5 actions to pick your preset radio station vs pushing a button on the subaru and most other cars.

If you want some of the quickness of the Q5, then get the 6 cylinder Outback. It is very quick and responsive..and somewhat more predictable than the audi. The 8 gears seem to change when they want... There is more body roll in the Subaru at higher speeds... so don't make turns at 40 mph.

The Subaru definitely has more room in the way back. More comfortable second row, very comfortable driver's seat. The internal materials are not great... The fake wood is just gross (I will get a real wood kit to cover that). The Navigation on the subaru is up to date with maps but older technology. I would just use your phone for nav. The bluetooth allows streaming (not in the audi) but it won't load your phonebook automatically (audi does but duplicates for each number in each contact).

The roof rails are much more convenient on the subie (they pivot out). You have to take them off on the audi.

Again, thanks for validating that people do actually compare these cars. Don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't be comparing. You are comparing glitz to practicality as a factor just as you would compare cargo capacity. Once you are talking about the 6 cylinder, performance is really not hugely different.
+1 for you bro!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by radman2020

radman2020, I really wish you would go and buy your Subaru already and start hanging out on the Subaru forum. I think most of us are tired of your complaints, bitching and whining here. Especially, because your complaints are trivial and ridiculous. After reading your posts, it's clear that the only music you hear and listen to is your own. I'm not sure how you ended up with a Q5 on the first place, but no doubt it was a huge mistake.
I've had my Q5 for 3 weeks now and I've already mastered all the control buttons of the MMI. You call yourself tech-savvy, but you can't figure the simplest things out. AC and duplicate names for instance. Has it ever crossed your mind that the reason behind duplicate names might be your phone, not the MMI and Audi? I'm sure it hasn't, because you're too busy trying to hate the Q5 and turn everyone else off.
You keep riding the "Q5's control buttons are distracting" horse and then you suggest to use a cell phone for navigation?! I'm sorry, but I cannot imagine anything more dangerous and distracting than using a cellphone for anything in a car.
I don't post often. (Unlike you) I rather listen and learn, since this forum has a plethora of useful information and many of the questions and concerns (like most of yours) had already been answered. People like me come here before they spend $50,000+ on a car and do their homework so they can have realistic expectations.
Alright. I said what I needed to. Feel much better.
Very respectfully,
A Hardcore Apple Fan (I know you have your opinion on this as well)

Quick Reply: Help, Q5 vs Outback