Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Help, Q5 vs Outback

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dngrmse
Radman, don't let those posts bother you. I appreciate your critique of the MMI system, and I wholeheartedly agree. It sucks. It's so bad that Audi is revamping it for coming years. Anyway, that's not what I bought my Q5 for. I bought it cause it drives like a sports car, and I love the styling. The other stuff I can live with, but I'm not drinking the Kool-aid just because it's an Audi. I own a droid, and I won't be buying the new IPAD(well maybe).
Thx!!

I do love the way this car drives (except some of the shifting), but this is mostly at high speed on windy roads. It is exhilarating and no other car I have had does this. This is why I bought the thing. The prob is that I usually can't drive that way... and when I am driving normally, these other factors have taken the shine off.

As for the ipad, I have one. I used to love it because I could read my emails and the news in my bedroom or the bathroom before I even showered and came downstairs. I loved that! The iphone was too small a screen. Now that I have the large android screen, I usually use that over the ipad. Meanwhile, the ipad is great to have on the kitchen table... bought one for my parents so they don't have to fool with the computer. If you look at the features it doesn't have (no usb, no sd, no flash, crappy typing) you get pissed at apple. But if you don't think of it as a computer but as an appliance sitting in your bathroom or the kitchen table... then it is great. If you add a bluetooth keyboard, then you have a little computer and you are doing well. I have warmed to it.

I appreciate your comments
Old 03-19-2012, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mtberman
I've owned a total of seven Subarus over the last 20 years, all but one were Outbacks. Call me a fan boy. The 3.R Limited is the closest equivalent to a base Q5. The 2.5 OB is not even in the same league, so if anyone is going to compare the Outback with the Q5 then you must start with the 3.6R Limited Outback if you want the comparison to make any sense. Q5 is a $4000 higher than a OB 3.6R Ltd. Subaru dealers will routinely sell OBs at or near invoice, whereas the Q5 is hard to get and discounts are a hassle. True transaction prices on the Q5 are likely $5000 higher or more.

I sold the 3.6R Outback a few weeks after buying it. Long story short, I had to lemon-law my previous Outback and the 3.6R was its replacement. But the replacement car had the same design flaw as the 2.5, and Subaru said they still had not resolved it. I just couldn't deal with having my car repaired over & over, so I sold it with 450 miles on the clock and broke even. Subaru was really great about the whole thing. They knew I was as loyal to the brand as anyone and went out of their way to make me happy. But they admitted that the 2010-2011 Outbacks had a design flaw that was not figured out yet at that time. I bought a 2011 A4 Avant as its replacement.

The worst part is that, after more than 18 months of work, Subaru finally resolved the problem a few months later. Late build 2011s are fine, as is anything since then. The cars drive better now and are vibration free, but anyone looking at a used 2010 or 2011 should beware and take the car on the highway before committing. Lemon law-ing a used car can be difficult.

The Subaru had better room but the Audi simply blows it away in the ride and drive department. And the Subaru 5-speed auto is really kind of a joke. Like Honda with the Pilot, and the Forester which STILL HAS A 4-speed, Subaru is always years behind in the transmission department. They should quit making their own and just buy them from ZF or Aisin. Unfortunately, due to their unconventional drivetrains, Subaru really has no choice but to make its own transmissions.

The Q5 drives a little smaller than it is (and definitely feels tighter inside) but beyond there's really no comparing the two. If you really know cars and you start doing really close-up inspection, the Audi is so much more clearly over-engineered and thoughtfully built. Neither brand is a paragon of reliability.

Audi has really spoiled me now. A lot of my friends have Subies, and every time I get in one I can't help but feel that it's sort of cheesy. I drove a friend's 2011 OB last month and could not believe how poorly it rode vs. my Q5. It's really smooth and luxury-car like, but crossing railroad tracks or rippled pavement made it go all over. My Q5 just sails over that stuff. It reminds me of the first time I drove a BMW and just felt that kind of confidence that's hard to describe.
I think I remember your posts at subaruoutback.org around the same time that my wife was looking to replace her '99 Outback. Actually, I think I may have recently linked it in one of these Outback comparison threads.

Subaru fanboy here as well (five in the last 15 years) and trying to decide on a new small fun car to go along with my Forester and the Q. I see you've already been down that route! I would consider a BRZ if it had an additional 50 hp and AWD. Kicking out the tail of a RWD car isn't fun to me.

Last edited by DennisM; 03-19-2012 at 12:42 PM.