Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Hidden Hitch vs. Curt

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hidden Hitch vs. Curt

I am looking for Q5 owner feedback/experience with the Hidden Hitch. Anyone?

Seems like most owners on this forum went with Curt hitch (non-OEM). The etrailer price is about the same for the Hidden vs Curt, but the (reported) install time/effort is a lot less with the Hidden Hitch. So, is it the appearance, brand name, or something else that drives Q5'ers towards the Curt? Maybe you guys just love the challenge of drilling and fishing bolts through the frame :-).
Old 01-11-2011, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Bosal detachable hitch. I imported it from the UK (to Aus) and fitted it myself. My reasons for getting this hitch in preference to any other was looks and capacity. The towing limit of this hitch is the full 2400kg that the Q5 is rated to (the others available were rated to 2000kg like the dealer fit model you get in NA) The only potential down side is that my hitch is only rated to 100kg vertical (European towing standards are very different to those in NA).

Some images...

Hidden away:
IMG_0658_small.jpg?t=1294744956

Cover removed:
IMG_0659_small.jpg?t=1294744956

Hitch in place:
IMG_0660_small.jpg?t=1294744956
Old 01-11-2011, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is slick. Love the option to hide an unsightly hitch!
Old 03-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by great2b
I am looking for Q5 owner feedback/experience with the Hidden Hitch. Anyone?

Seems like most owners on this forum went with Curt hitch (non-OEM). The etrailer price is about the same for the Hidden vs Curt, but the (reported) install time/effort is a lot less with the Hidden Hitch. So, is it the appearance, brand name, or something else that drives Q5'ers towards the Curt? Maybe you guys just love the challenge of drilling and fishing bolts through the frame :-).
i was also curious as well. i haven't seen many posts about people buying the hidden hitch. we just want the hitch for a bike rack. since we bought new bikes last night, we're going to need one soon! =)

TIA!
Old 03-28-2011, 08:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by thundercloud
i was also curious as well. i haven't seen many posts about people buying the hidden hitch. we just want the hitch for a bike rack. since we bought new bikes last night, we're going to need one soon! =)

TIA!
we ended up ordering the hidden hitch online, so i'll let you know how we like it.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

FYI.. I found this "Expert Reply" on Etrailer comparing the two hitches..
Old 04-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by thundercloud
we ended up ordering the hidden hitch online, so i'll let you know how we like it.
we installed it today and tested our 1up bike rack on it. so far, so good. fairly easy install, no drilling required. there was just 1 bolt that was in a very tight spot, so it was hard to tighten easily. here are some pics of the hidden hitch. it actually doesn't stick out past the bumper at all, even though the third pic somewhat looks like it does. i removed the stickers to draw less attention to it.
Attached Images     
Old 04-09-2011, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

does anyone have a pic of the factory hitch? I want add it to the car when i order my car but i want to know if it looks stupid
Old 04-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice... I was wondering what that hitch would look like.

I went with the Curt and I am pretty happy with it so far. they look very similar.

Here are some before and after. I apologize for the different angles, but I hope it gives someone comparing the two hitches some idea.
Attached Images   
Old 04-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think I'm going with the Hidden Hitch given easier to install.....but how easy is it to install? I'm far from car work savvy....I've read over the instructions but still not sure.

What type of places will professionally install these?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Hidden Hitch vs. Curt