Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

HK: Q5 spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HK: Q5 spark plugs?

I'm looking for the sparkplugs upgrade for my 2010 Q5 2.0T 211hp (155kW). Checked with ECS, it suggested NGK's laser platinum plug (link as below) to me. I asked why not suggest NGK iridium plug, it said iridium plug is stock plug for Q5. That's a different concept to me, as i think iridium plug is more advance than platinum. Anyone can give me suggestion?
Old 02-28-2020, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The laser platinum plug ECS suggest: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ngk-parts/platinum-spark-plugs-set-of-four/1675kt/
Old 02-28-2020, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 132 Likes on 123 Posts

Ngk irridiums are not OEM spec. They have to be regaped to 0.028 (they are 0.032). You need special gauge gap tools to regap them otherwise it is impossible with out. My next upgrade.

Bosch anf NGK platinum are OEM come with 0.028 correct gap.

better to use platinum ones unless you are able to regap the irridium sparkplugs to 0.028, otherwise your engine will not run efficient (fuel consumption high) and engine problems will arise in the long term.

If you need info on gap tools I will upload a photo of what you will need to buy. Most mechanics just install. They dont check the gap and dont have the special tools to regap.

Last edited by apoelistas; 02-28-2020 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by apoelistas
Ngk irridiums are not OEM spec. They have to be regaped to 0.028 (they are 0.032). You need special gauge gap tools to regap them otherwise it is impossible with out. My next upgrade.

Bosch anf NGK platinum are OEM come with 0.028 correct gap.

better to use platinum ones unless you are able to regap the irridium sparkplugs to 0.028, otherwise your engine will not run efficient (fuel consumption high) and engine problems will arise in the long term.

If you need info on gap tools I will upload a photo of what you will need to buy. Most mechanics just install. They dont check the gap and dont have the special tools to regap.
Yes, pls share the gap tools info to me and which NGK iridium plugs u used on your Q5? Thanks.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jackyckm
I'm looking for the sparkplugs upgrade for my 2010 Q5 2.0T 211hp (155kW). Checked with ECS, it suggested NGK's laser platinum plug (link as below) to me. I asked why not suggest NGK iridium plug, it said iridium plug is stock plug for Q5. That's a different concept to me, as i think iridium plug is more advance than platinum. Anyone can give me suggestion?
I'm curious.. what problem are you trying to solve ? I spent a career building racing and street engines of all types. never once did I ever see a spark plug brand or type change make any difference at all on the dyno PROVIDED the base line plug was the correct heat range in the first place. I think that whatever your car called for oem is as good as you are going to get. all the rest is just blue smoke and mirrors along with the magic oil and fuel additives, magic air filters and all the rest. its worth taking note that none of the biggest big time racers in all series where they would kill their mothers for a single extra hp actually use any of this junk...
The following users liked this post:
morris39 (02-29-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

these are the ones I have purchased for this purpose. Job done successfully. The top tool I only used to double check. Dont buy non branded coin type gapping tools. I threw one away bcs reading was wrong.

Last edited by apoelistas; 02-29-2020 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Tuning for performance to answer to one of the replies above
1. Red ignition coils
2. irridium spark plugs
3. larger intercooler
4. your performance tuning (software/chip) choice

yes it is possible but you also need no 4.

Last edited by apoelistas; 02-29-2020 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

of everything you mentioned, only the intercooler will make a difference. for ignition, all you need is what you need.... more doesn't buy you anything and neither do magic spark plugs. on modern cars, ECU tuning either by software or chips are the way to make power. everything else is just propaganda and marketing.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by stvsxm
of everything you mentioned, only the intercooler will make a difference. for ignition, all you need is what you need.... more doesn't buy you anything and neither do magic spark plugs. on modern cars, ECU tuning either by software or chips are the way to make power. everything else is just propaganda and marketing.
not really.
two of us have changed to red ignition coils after problems with our tunes (engine hesitation). The problem was eliminated.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

what does that tell you ? it means that once you changed the fuel and ignition curve you got outside the operating limits of the original coils. if you are saying that you changed those curves, then had an issue that you ' fixed with a higher energy ignition then all that means if that everything was ok with the oem ones until you changed something and then you needed something else. my point is that if your car is running just fine, then putting on " magic coils " isn't going to make it run better. if you are suggesting that you can put in enough boost and enough fuel to the REQUIRE a higher energy ignition then sure... the correct combination is the correct combination. all im trying to point out is that 99.99999 % of the BS the companies like msd and the magic spark plug guys is just marketing designed to get your yankee dollars out of your pockets and into theirs. its the amercian way.. remember the 10mm yellow sparkplug wires ? same thing...

look... its what I did for a living my entire career.. im not trying to sell you anything, im trying to save you some time and money.
The following 2 users liked this post by stvsxm:
apoelistas (02-29-2020), jerWim11 (04-06-2020)

Quick Reply: HK: Q5 spark plugs?