Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

How do you like your Dunlop Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They use the same crappy Dunlop grand trek on the Lexus GX470. The GX470 comes with 3 kinds of oem tires, the dunlop grand trek, Michelin Cross terrain and the beridgestones. Almost every own who had the Dunlop complains about traction, road noise and stiff ride. The Cross Terrain was by far the best tires out of the three.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
Not impressed with mine. We had very little snow here last winter and I drive cautiously in rain and had only one issue where I was surprised by a loss of traction. What's especially noteworthy is that about a day or so after I took delivery I noticed that that the right front wheel had a 5.5" long wheel weight on it. I figure about 1/2oz per inch. That's a lot of weight(close to 3oz) but not unheard of on a large wheel/tire assembly. Then I looked at the right rear and found a 10" strip of weight on that wheel. That's WAY too much, IMO. After bringing "it" to the attention of the dealer and telling them about a slight steering wheel wobble they tried to rebalance both right side tires. It did no good and the wobble remains. I attribute it to the crappy Dunlop tires and will live with it until time to replace them. Hopefully they'll wear out soon. Sorry tires, IMO.
Looks like I have about the same setup for weight. Dang. I'm used to seeing little slugs. Those strips are long. Mine has Michelins on it though so I've had no issues with traction or wheel wobble.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a pattern on who gets the dunlops and michelins? maybe 18" are dunlops and 19" and 20" are Michelins?
Old 07-14-2010, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mpraju
Is there a pattern on who gets the dunlops and michelins? maybe 18" are dunlops and 19" and 20" are Michelins?
I have the standard 18" w/ Michelins.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:38 PM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine came with Good Year tires - they have been phenomenal. It poured today in Halifax and even after 20,000 miles, they performed very well in the rain.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
So what is a few dollars per car times a million
Its not really what price you pay for the Dunlops, its how much Audi pays when they buy in bulk.
Well, then why don't they just save even more and use entry level Bridgestones? For heaven's sake, if true, it's amazing to me that Audi would compromise safety and comfort...and resulting bad reviews to boot, to supply one of their best selling and best handling cars with tires that aren't up to snuff.

Bob
Old 07-14-2010, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hmn4858
I have the standard 18" w/ Michelins.
ditto for my 2009.

can't believe the size of those weights
Old 07-14-2010, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
I noticed that that the right front wheel had a 5.5" long wheel weight on it. I figure about 1/2oz per inch. That's a lot of weight(close to 3oz) but not unheard of on a large wheel/tire assembly. Then I looked at the right rear and found a 10" strip of weight on that wheel.

have you tried rotating the tires/rims - i.e., put both weighted tires/rims on front or both on back; then rebalance.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
I have the Dunlops and never remember having that issue. Did you check to see that you had the correct tire pressure?

Bob
tire pressure was checked the day before on cold tires and inflated to 32 PSI

Originally Posted by bob m
Well, then why don't they just save even more and use entry level Bridgestones? For heaven's sake, if true, it's amazing to me that Audi would compromise safety and comfort...and resulting bad reviews to boot, to supply one of their best selling and best handling cars with tires that aren't up to snuff.
The Dunlops are about $165, and Michelins are $220 on tirerack - so there is a BIG difference in price. Why they don't use even cheaper tire - I see Kumho tires on Hyundai, Kia, etc., never see them on Volvos, MB, BMW, etc. Cheaper tires would "degrade" the image of the brand; they use the cheapest tire that was accepted as suitable by Audi/ VW managers.
Also, these Dunlops are "new” tires, so it is possible they did not have enough data/feedback on those tires except from Dunlop itself...
Old 07-15-2010, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by m1964
tire pressure was checked the day before on cold tires and inflated to 32 PSI

The Dunlops are about $165, and Michelins are $220 on tirerack - so there is a BIG difference in price. Why they don't use even cheaper tire - I see Kumho tires on Hyundai, Kia, etc., never see them on Volvos, MB, BMW, etc. Cheaper tires would "degrade" the image of the brand; they use the cheapest tire that was accepted as suitable by Audi/ VW managers.
Also, these Dunlops are "new” tires, so it is possible they did not have enough data/feedback on those tires except from Dunlop itself...
Ok, good points. But it still amazes me that they would choose tires that people here (who have them) find them almost unsuitable in handling and noise. I just wouldn't know how/what to compare them to to make that comment as not having driven in very heavy rain. Noise level? I assume the noise level with my tires is "normal".
I would think (dumb me) that Audi would do any and everything to optimize that driving experience - for all Audi owners - not just those lucky enough to get the "other" tires. I could better understand it if all the tires were of a given brand, but it looks like customers have to "hit the right tire lottery" when buying/leasing their Q5 or (thanks to this forum) demand other tires.

Bob

Quick Reply: How do you like your Dunlop Tires?