Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

How do you like your Dunlop Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Well, then why don't they just save even more and use entry level Bridgestones? For heaven's sake, if true, it's amazing to me that Audi would compromise safety and comfort...and resulting bad reviews to boot, to supply one of their best selling and best handling cars with tires that aren't up to snuff.

Bob
All car manufacturers use more than one brand of tires, just in case there is a contact or supply problem with the other brands. The Dunlops just happens to be the worst of the three brands but I bet they pass all the perdformance requirements by Audi. Look you are not compromising safety with the Dunlops, there are tires that are worst in wet or snow traction. Its just that anytime you put up 3 brands of tires and compare them, one of them has to be the worst.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dunlops and Michelins cost the same for the customer, maybe less for Audi
I find my Dunlops correct, but they seem to follow ruts in the road
they also seem last well (under the 2 mm after 10.000 miles at the front, 1 mm at the back)
no instability on heavy rain (rims 19")
Old 07-15-2010, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

... But it still amazes me that they would choose tires that people here (who have them) find them almost unsuitable in handling and noise. I just wouldn't know how/what to compare them to to make that comment as not having driven in very heavy rain. Noise level? I assume the noise level with my tires is "normal".
I would think (dumb me) that Audi would do any and everything to optimize that driving experience - for all Audi owners - not just those lucky enough to get the "other" tires. I could better understand it if all the tires were of a given brand, but it looks like customers have to "hit the right tire lottery" when buying/leasing their Q5 or (thanks to this forum) demand other tires.

Bob
Well, there are a lot of other tires in the same 235/60/18 size, the Dunlops are in the "upper middle" if you sort the tires by their price (I used tirerack);
I can't say they are not good tires, my comment was that I was surprised how badly the Dunlops behaved in the water comparing to Michelins or Contis.

I bet if I slowed down a little there would not be a problem in the first place, however I was alone in the Q5, there was no one close to Q5, so I just gave it a little "test" which Q5 "did not pass" mostly because of it's tires.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by m1964
Well, there are a lot of other tires in the same 235/60/18 size, the Dunlops are in the "upper middle" if you sort the tires by their price (I used tirerack);
I can't say they are not good tires, my comment was that I was surprised how badly the Dunlops behaved in the water comparing to Michelins or Contis.

I bet if I slowed down a little there would not be a problem in the first place, however I was alone in the Q5, there was no one close to Q5, so I just gave it a little "test" which Q5 "did not pass" mostly because of it's tires.
Thanks for the clarification, but how fast were you "testing"? Anyhow, this is good information for future car purchases.

Bob
Old 07-16-2010, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the clarification, but how fast were you "testing"? Anyhow, this is good information for future car purchases.

Bob

At about 35-40 mph, on a road w/ 30-40 derees curves. I did not hydroplane comletely, but had a feeling that I was on the edge of losing control of the vehicle.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by m1964
At about 35-40 mph, on a road w/ 30-40 derees curves. I did not hydroplane comletely, but had a feeling that I was on the edge of losing control of the vehicle.
That doesnt sound like a very demanding situation for the Dunlops, I have done that with my Good Year tires with no problem, maybe the road was slicker in your situation.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Use the spreadsheet to search for a pattern yourself.
Audi select by general region hot or cold. S-Line tend to get softer compound and higher speed rating (especially EU). After that its just the best deal they can get at the time.
I have noticed with the Q7 forum that they tend to stick to one product for a whole MY production but maybe thats the way they buy them.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

FWIW... My S-Line came with Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport tires ($212 each at tire rack for 255/45R20). Seem to be fine so far. No issues with abnormal road noise or grip.