Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

How to: Fog Lights on when Headlights are turned on??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to: Fog Lights on when Headlights are turned on??

Hi everyone

Can someone let me know if its possible to have the fog lights come on when I turn on the headlights on? Its a pain having to keep hitting the fog light button to turn them on every night.

Thanks for any info you can provide
Old 04-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I should also point out I have a 2013 Q5
Old 04-16-2013, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Why do you need the fog lights on every night? Is it always foggy where you live? The Q5 headlights are outstanding as-is (I have the xenons). If it isn't foggy, you shouldn't have the light focused so closely, it hurts your long range vision and distracts from looking down the road where you are going.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a look at this thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...&highlight=fog

It is all there - also the reasons why you should NOT do it.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

The next closest thing would be to run the fog lights as DRL (coded via VCDS / VAGCOM), but not sure if it will stay on when headlight gets turned on (but you will lose the LED light tubes for DRL).
Old 04-16-2013, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default +1

In Germany it's not permitted to run fogs if not needed...as in, for fog...and the Euro manufacturers have moved away from switching that allows it as a default. For a good number of years now on Audi's. >10. I think it's really companies like Toyota/Lexus that skirt around the better/more legal set up here. In my area, candidly I also don't get why it is the SUV's seem way disproportionately to want to run fogs incessantly. On my Audi's with HID's (and on an HID Mini) they are already really good, and the fogs don't add much anyway except a bit w/ wet pavement at times.

To the OP's question, no I don't think you can override this in VAG COM. It has been asked many times over the years and on different Audi models. To change it, you have to go into the harness and modify things; that's done rarely obviously and usually as the vehicles get a bit older.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Fog lights every night ??? Why every night??

Fog lights illuminate the low and wide so no need to use with xenon lights.
Maybe you prefer to sow like......

In many states are prohibited from using fog lights when there is no need

Last edited by spijun; 04-17-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Plasticar
Why do you need the fog lights on every night? Is it always foggy where you live? The Q5 headlights are outstanding as-is (I have the xenons). If it isn't foggy, you shouldn't have the light focused so closely, it hurts your long range vision and distracts from looking down the road where you are going.
Agree 100% ! My biggest peeve is very bright fog lights w/no fog. Seems like it must be mandatory for all Dodge pickups.

It really does ruin the long range vision of the driver, and the oncoming driver.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ATC69
Agree 100% ! My biggest peeve is very bright fog lights w/no fog. Seems like it must be mandatory for all Dodge pickups.

It really does ruin the long range vision of the driver, and the oncoming driver.
Probably some correlation there. I believe that RAM pickups account for the highest level of property damage of any car on the road. Maybe that says a little bit about the average RAM driver...
Old 04-17-2013, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i bet OP has his fogs HID'd too for that extra cool look!

Quick Reply: How to: Fog Lights on when Headlights are turned on??