Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

How to remove lower moulding

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove lower moulding

Does anyone know how to remove the lower mouldings on the doors and the one just behind the front wheels? I assume that they must be held on by clips.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fonseca_Q5
Does anyone know how to remove the lower mouldings on the doors and the one just behind the front wheels? I assume that they must be held on by clips.
I can tell you, from experience, that those parts are double-sided taped on. There are a couple of placement "pins" to align the piece as it's put on, but it is truly held-on with tape. Once the pieces are removed, one has to purchase new pieces to replace them, as the tape Audi uses is not purchasable, dealer can't even get it, and if thicker tape is used, they look woefully out of alignment on the car.

I damaged the one on the rear driver-side door of my Q5, and originally was told they could remove the factory placed one, lightly sand, repaint, and reattach the piece, but that wasn't the case. After seeing the newly ordered part, and the one they removed, I understood exactly why it wouldn't work.

I have the old one that was removed, if you want me to take a photo of the backside of it, and post it, just let me know.

Last edited by UrbanExtant; 05-14-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please do. I'n having these put on my car as well.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Also, from experience, there are different types of the 3M double sided tape. Most of the stuff you get at an automotive store (red backing) is very thick and keeps the item you are attaching not flush with vehicle. They make a thinner version of this (what Audi uses on its OEM emblems) that has a red backing as well. They also make something called VHB which is a bonding tape and it is super thin and sticks on tight. Really tight.

You can purchase it from a supplier (like Fastenal), but you can only get it in rolls of like 25 feet or something rediculous.

This may help your mouldings that don't fit quite right.

I do know my current lower moulding on my fender i can wiggle it back and forth a bit. And it is stock that way.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
Also, from experience, there are different types of the 3M double sided tape. Most of the stuff you get at an automotive store (red backing) is very thick and keeps the item you are attaching not flush with vehicle. They make a thinner version of this (what Audi uses on its OEM emblems) that has a red backing as well. They also make something called VHB which is a bonding tape and it is super thin and sticks on tight. Really tight.

You can purchase it from a supplier (like Fastenal), but you can only get it in rolls of like 25 feet or something rediculous.

This may help your mouldings that don't fit quite right.

I do know my current lower moulding on my fender i can wiggle it back and forth a bit. And it is stock that way.
Oh, trust me, mine fit right now. I made Audi replace the piece three times until they got it painted, and affixed perfectly. I was p*ssed-off to no end they messed my car up. I went in expecting $300 to repair the piece, then I had to order a new piece, because they were wrong. I had to have it painted, after I paid for them to paint the one they originally removed, and only learned when they were trying to reaffix it that it couldn't be, and that I'd have to order a new one. Then, the piece I bought, they failed to paint the back edges of it, as seen in the photos below, so they removed it, replaced it with a piece they purchased, and paid to paint, and then put it on. Finally, after many weeks of arguing with them, they finally got it "right." They gave me the one they only partially painted, which is why I had this one in the basement to take photos of for you.

As for the tape, maybe you are right, maybe it can be had, but my dealership couldn't source it, even from Audi, and the Audi certified body shop they used couldn't source it either. All of the tape they had made the piece unable to be aligned with the factory fitted pieces. It was bad enough that it was noticeable at 20 feet away.

Anyway, there are three "pins" that fit in spots on the door. Two are white, and at either end, then there is a black peg in the middle of the piece. The bottom of the piece has a groove that hooks over the bottom lip of the door. Everything is held on with tape.
Attached Images      
Old 05-14-2012, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Man, that sucks. I suppose I may run into issues as well. I guess we'll see when it comes time to swap my body kit. Keep an eye out for my post sometime this summer.

Question for you. How is the easiest way to find which body shops are Audi Certified? I know you have to take your car there specifically if you have an R8 or maybe a TTRS. How do I know which local shops have that certification?
Old 05-14-2012, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks!
Old 05-14-2012, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
Man, that sucks. I suppose I may run into issues as well. I guess we'll see when it comes time to swap my body kit. Keep an eye out for my post sometime this summer.

Question for you. How is the easiest way to find which body shops are Audi Certified? I know you have to take your car there specifically if you have an R8 or maybe a TTRS. How do I know which local shops have that certification?
If you bought all of the pieces new, and are painting them, then placing them on the vehicle, I don't see why you'd have the problem I did. The pieces come pre-taped, and ready to install after painting. When you have them painted, make sure they paint the back edges. If they aren't painted, when you open the doors, it stands-out, and looks very unfinished. They are intended to be painted, and come painted on new vehicles.

I believe you can call AoA, and they'll tell you where their shops are. I was fortunate that my dealership works with the right kind of body shop. Audi called to see how I was enjoying my new Q5 not more than five minutes after I left from inspecting the second attempt to repair the molding, the one where they failed to paint the whole piece, and I told the rep about my experience. She put me on hold, and when she came back she said they were using an Audi Certified body shop, and apologized for the experience I was having. So, I know they are able to locate that information.

On a side note, a perk of this experience was being loaned a fully loaded, new, A8L for the last two weeks they had my Q5. The A8L was a very nice vehicle, but I prefer the Q5.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Cool. Thanks.

Yeah, I purchase all of my items new OEM from Audi, so hopefully no issues will creep up.