Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

How strong are the ventilated seats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 01:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How strong are the ventilated seats?

Hey guys,

I just bought a 2015 Q5 Prestige and really the only reason I went up to that trim level was to get the ventilated seats, otherwise PP would have been fine for me, so I just took delivery and have a few days if I want to return it. Honestly the car is awesome, but I’m wondering if the ventilated seats are even working or not. As I drove it home about 20 miles I left them on high and it *appeared* to me I could feel a slight cooling sensation but there was no noticeable air coming out. I honestly did not know ventilated seats existed until a couple months ago when my car was in the shop I rented an Expedition with them on it and you could feel it blowing on you, but nothing like that on this Audi. Similarly, I turned them on the passenger side and put my hand on the seats I couldn’t feel or hear the slightest thing. I will say after a while it appeared the seats felt a little extra cool (I had the AC blasting on LO the whole time) but I just can’t tell if it’s my imagination that they’re working or not working, etc. Maybe I should have went to a dealer to test a Q5 w/ ventilated seats but I did test drive two Q5 PP in the past and I didn’t want to go and ‘use’ a dealer w/ no intention to buy I had been looking around and the only ones that had come up in the past few months either were not the color combo I wanted or else just too low mileage high price for my tastes, I found a great color/price/mileage match for me and ordered this one from Carvana.

Oh man I have so many questions about this car, lol, but we’ll keep it one topic one question I guess. I feel like I’m going to be reading this manual for days like some law student getting ready for the bar..

Last edited by Rltrdc; 07-15-2018 at 01:32 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had ventilated seats on my S5 convertible and I couldn't tell if they were working either. So I put a tissue on the passenger seat to see if it moved when I turned the blower on. It did, which told me that it was working, just not very well!
Old 07-15-2018, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I actually just went to the golf range and turned them on going there wasn’t entirely sure I thought I could feel it, but coming back my back was sweaty and yes they do work it seems like they pull air down through the seat rather than push it up which maybe makes it less noticeable was what it seemed like to me.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

They suck
Old 07-15-2018, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have them on mine as well and don't really notice much of a difference when it's on. I do hear a fan under the seat blowing (or sucking) but don't feel too much cooling effect.

Brett
Old 07-15-2018, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts

Our 2011 Prestige Q7 had them. That one was bought back in the TDI deal. We replaced it with a Premium Plus Q7. I do miss the ventilated seats a bit but as mentioned, they don’t blow very hard. FWIW I miss the advanced headlights more.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

They work differently from many cars. In lexus, they have a a/c duct under the seat with fans blowing in. For some reason, most German cars have the fans pulling air away from you. I was skeptical, but had them on a new q5 loaner and it worked fairly well for me, and I'm a big sweaty dude.

If you feel they're a bit underwhelming, you can increase the fan speed of all 3 settings with obd11
Old 07-16-2018, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chawski
They work differently from many cars. In lexus, they have a a/c duct under the seat with fans blowing in. For some reason, most German cars have the fans pulling air away from you. I was skeptical, but had them on a new q5 loaner and it worked fairly well for me, and I'm a big sweaty dude.

If you feel they're a bit underwhelming, you can increase the fan speed of all 3 settings with obd11
At first I thought you were confused on OBD2 (OBDII) for 11 but I see it is a thing, for android? Does that tie in to the MMI somehow or do you have to have an android device? I only have iOS devices at the moment. Can you use a normal OBDII for normal reading and clearing trouble codes etc? I do have one of those, but I guess I can't change fan speeds with it..
Old 07-16-2018, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

You can use a standard obd reader as far as I know. Obdeleven is an app that unfortunately only works on Android. It's a standalone thing with nothing to do with the mmi. You can however get a damn cheap used Android phone or tablet so it's not really all that cost prohibitive if your an Apple guy

Have a look on YouTube for how it works. Very straight forward. I had no prior car coding experience and have been able to do tons of things on it. Very simple to use