Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

how to turn engine off but keep radio on?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The trick is

1) do not remove key

2)do not open any doors
Old 03-26-2012, 05:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing is removed or opened. Radio shuts of the instant the key is pushed in. Definitely something wrong. Dealer said they'll look at it, but I'll wait a few more months until the service interval as I'm not too close to dealership.

Thanks for all the feedback. It's clear now that something has to looked at.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Finally went to dealer for 15K oil change and they "looked" at this issue. All they did was compare it with other models in the lot and said they all do it. I would have thought they would have communicated with Audi directly, but I'm losing more and more confidence with all dealerships, especially German cars.

Since some people do not have this problem it makes me think it's a programming issue with individual cars. I've found a similar thread from last fall. Anyone have luck with tech support from Audi NA?
Old 05-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. My 2012 Q5 P+ does this also. The instant I push the key fob to turn the vehicle off, the radio turns off. It does this without pulling the fob out or opening the door. I thought all Q5's were like this?
Old 05-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would drive me crazy. I have advanced key, and when I push the on/off button to turn the car off, the radio stays on until I open a door or push the on/off a second time.

I haven't tried it with the key in the ignition, but I believe it is intended to behave the same way. I would not be happy if the radio turned off at the same time as the engine.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it might be in the hidden menu.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 2010 model, when I turn off the engine, but dont pull the key out, the radio continues playing, thats how you can listen to the rest of the news etc. When you pull the key out it shuts itself, but then again if I want it on, I press the volume button and it comes on.

More disturbin is that you cant turn the MMI text of, you cant get the panel to be completely black. I dont want to look at the text when its off, why AUDI?

In my Porsche Panamera the music only stops when I open the door, so VW is going to this, I think.

Then again you have to turn the park sensors on at the front, which is not the case in POrsche, so go figure. I sware someday Ill park in a tight spot forgetting to press the button. Most of the other buttons are the same in both cars (VW family), but they do different things, which drives me crazy! Same button on right stalk is the menu button in Q5 and headlamp washer in POrsche, cruise control +- is up-down in Audi, front -back in Porsche, etc.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't have navi. Therefore can I still access the hidden menu? If not, is there another way to get to these settings?
Old 05-28-2012, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by mjaiello
I don't have navi. Therefore can I still access the hidden menu? If not, is there another way to get to these settings?
You need VAG-COM cable to change from 1-99 minutes:
[56 – Radio]
[Adaptation – 10] -> Channel 03 -> default, you have 10 (ten minutes change from 1-99 minutes

Last edited by spijun; 05-28-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks. That's more info than I can ever get out of the dealership. In anyone's opinion, before I go to that trouble, should this be something the dealership should be able to take care of?

What exactly is VAG COM? Is it the factory scan tool or is it an after market version.

Quick Reply: how to turn engine off but keep radio on?