Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

How to wire an aftermarket sub/amp with B&O?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power loss with new sound system

i picked up my A6 from car audio shop today, I had a 1000 watt amp installed to power a typeX sup, a 400 watt amp to power the door speakers and I have this massive line output converter plus the grim for Bluetooth.

it sounded great when I picked it up but now sounds
like it’s not getting enough power my sub is week and
I noticed the car is idling rough at stop signs and my rpm tack is fluctuating up and down like it the car wants to stall.

Do I need a bigger alternator or a separate battery
to power the extra equipment?
Old 03-28-2018, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Vinny I hope you haven't opened pandora's box.The audio system is very much a part of the "network". I saw this as far back as early 90's in Jettas where people monkeyed with the sound system and all hell broke loose.Tread cautiously unless your wallet is a little too thick.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Domino effect
Old 03-28-2018, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Huuhhhh?

Oh man now I’m nervous what do you mean? Are you telling me I might run into other issues? I’ve owned this car since February and have dumped $9000 into it between upgrades and oil leaks this car is killing me financially. So I take it it may turn into ripping the entire MMI system out or would that not be good? And you don’t think it could just be a alternator being to small? What would be the first steps into diagnosis this is my first Audi what a disaster lol nice car when it’s not costing me money and no my wallet is not fat in fact it’s gotten a lot smaller being an Audi owner.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Go back to the car audio shop!
Old 03-29-2018, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

1400 watts of new amps? If the ratings are anywhere near real, that's a 100 amp drain on your electrical system. You'd require an auxiliary battery and much higher capacity alternator, but since Audi uses a battery management system, that system may not be able to cope with those demands either. So now you may require a custom electrical system. And if you were using the stock speakers, I'd expect them to be literally burned out by the excess power.

No idea what your options are for the A6, but a computer-integrated-everything bus such as Audi have, can get insulted by simple electrical hacks that worked fine in 1970's Detroit products. see if your audio place made proper connections or just did "twist and tape". That's one way to find out if they know anything about what they are doing.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

The best part about having the B&O (even though it isn't really even good) is that you get the MOST interface to the amplifier. Yank the factory amplifier, put in a DA3 and configure to the end of time. On a side note you can use the output of the factory sub to run another amplifier. However the signal isn't really that great (as measured on a scope) it drops off like a cliff at 50hz. So even if you have a better sub and amplifer you can't make the most of the signal.

Last edited by sszyma; 04-02-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sszyma
The best part about having the B&O (even though it isn't really even good) is that you get the MOST interface to the amplifier. Yank the factory amplifier, put in a DA3 and configure to the end of time. On a side note you can use the output of the factory sub to run another amplifier. However the signal isn't really that great (as measured on a scope) it attentuates after 50hz pretty bad. So even if you have a better sub and amplifer you can't make the most of the signal.
You probably meant lower than 50 Hz, right?
Old 03-29-2018, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

don't waste your time, effort or money.
you will be disappointed.
as was stated , the amp has a low pass filer set at 50hz
thus a Woofer below that frequency will get very little power feed from the amp below that frequency and you wont get much uummppgghh
that is a factory setup and i doubt you can change that as it was likley in the DSP and not just a pot or some jumpers
Old 04-02-2018, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
You probably meant lower than 50 Hz, right?
You are correct

Quick Reply: How to wire an aftermarket sub/amp with B&O?