Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Humming noise from exhaust system & Audi doesn't have a fix.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Humming noise from exhaust system & Audi doesn't have a fix.

Greetings!

I've been following this forum for some time now and have learned quite a few things from all of you, and I've had quite a few laughs as well. I'm reaching out to your personal experiences with your Q5s. Here is my situation:

My 2010 Q5 with 8k miles makes an annoying humming noise at 71-73mph, it started making it at about 6k miles. Because it was getting louder I took it to the dealer and they also noticed this noise, the mechanic said it was the first time he heard this kind of noise but didn't know what it was.

They kept my car for 10 days and replaced the rear differential.

When I picked up the car I asked if the noise was gone; the service advisor said: "No, the noise still there, we called Audi and they said that the noise may come from the exhaust system but they don't have a fix, they advise you to keep driving it until they find a fix...:

So I have my car back and still makes that horrible noise that is decreasing the pleasure of driving it.

Thanks a lot.

A.

Last edited by Acapulco; 01-19-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:17 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If that was my Q5, I'd keep insisting that it be repaired. Discuss it with the manager, contact Audi of NA, do whatever it takes. Replacing the rear diff is quite a job, so at least they are serious about fixing it for you. Perhaps someone else with a similar experience may have more advice for you . . .
Old 11-08-2010, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

File a complaint with Audi of America.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrV
If that was my Q5, I'd keep insisting that it be repaired. Discuss it with the manager, contact Audi of NA, do whatever it takes. Replacing the rear diff is quite a job, so at least they are serious about fixing it for you. Perhaps someone else with a similar experience may have more advice for you . . .
Thanks, I spoke w/Audi's Customer Relations, they'll discuss issue w/dealer and will advise.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Acapulco
No, the noise still there, we called Audi and they said that the noise may come from the exhaust system but they don't have a fix, they advise you to keep driving it until they find a fix...:[/B]

So I have my car back and still makes that horrible noise that is decreasing the pleasure of driving it.

Thanks a lot.

Analila
If they were reasonably sure that the issue was related to the exhaust system then they begin replacing parts. I can't imagine that a complete exhaust system would cost anything clost to what the rear differential costs.
Additionally, I've never heard of a humming noise coming from an exhaust. If, in fact, it is the exhaust then the noise should be engine speed specific and could be replicated while the car is one the ground or better, up on a lift. Once up in the air someone could walk beneath and listen for the location of the humming. My guess is that it's in the driveline. They were on the right track but replaced the wrong part. Transfer case or driveshaft(s), perhaps. GL!
Old 11-08-2010, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's too bad, after all that time having your car. I'm surprised how similar our symptoms sounded and replacing your rear diff didn't correct the sound as it did mine. The rear diff alone I believe was 2300 bucks, once they replaced mine it was like a switch was flicked....no more howling. From me or the car...or my wife. They must feel like idiots for replacing such a specific part like that and then deceiding it was the exhaust was the culprit....really??? I can't see the two producing similar sounds, and if so their critical thinking and diagnosing skill suck a$$
Old 11-08-2010, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I rememebr the 2002 and 2003 MDX has a humming sound from the exhaust hangers being to tight.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is funny!

I remember that I asked why had they then replaced the differential if that was not the problem, and the guy said: "Because that's what you told the mechanic, right, that you've read about this on the forum..." G. help us!
Old 11-08-2010, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Acapulco
This is funny!

I remember that I asked why had they then replaced the differential if that was not the problem, and the guy said: "Because that's what you told the mechanic, right, that you've read about this on the forum..." G. help us!
I'm pretty sure mine did the same with the steering hose. I just told them what the problem was and what the part was that others had replaced. It wasn't something that happened every time so I was concerned about them giving me the we couldn't replicate it line. Alas, changing a hose is a heck of a lot cheaper than the differential. I don't know how a dealer gets paid for warranty work but sounds like they were just trying to use any excuse to make some money working on your car.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

I noticed the noise from day 1. It only showed up between 70 and 75 mph. I assumed that it was just the exhaust note and the way i reverberated at that speed. It did not seem to be related to engine speed, rather car speed. I haven't noticed it lately, but i will pay more attention to it now. To clarify, it was more of a reverberation/vibration noise versus a howling.

Quick Reply: Humming noise from exhaust system & Audi doesn't have a fix.