Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Humming noise from exhaust system & Audi doesn't have a fix.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eppoh7
I noticed the noise from day 1. It only showed up between 70 and 75 mph. I assumed that it was just the exhaust note and the way i reverberated at that speed. It did not seem to be related to engine speed, rather car speed. I haven't noticed it lately, but i will pay more attention to it now. To clarify, it was more of a reverberation/vibration noise versus a howling.
I think I noticed the noise in the early days and I thought it was the break in period but it didn't stop. Now I can hear it at 54-58 mph and then at 71-75 mph, it used to be 71-73 mph. You "zeroed" it down calling it a "vibration."

Do you know, or have an idea of what is causing it?

Does someone out there would like to take a good guess?

Thanks,
A
Old 11-09-2010, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I noticed the noise from day 1. It only showed up between 70 and 75 mph. I assumed that it was just the exhaust note and the way i reverberated at that speed. It did not seem to be related to engine speed, rather car speed. I haven't noticed it lately, but i will pay more attention to it now. To clarify, it was more of a reverberation/vibration noise versus a howling.
Tire noise?
Old 11-09-2010, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie
Tire noise?
Possible. The noise was definately coming from the back. It is kind of hard to describe, but i assumed it was the exhaust note vibrating through the cargo area floor. I am heading out on the highway this afternoon, so i will listen to see if it is still happening.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Acapulco
I think I noticed the noise in the early days and I thought it was the break in period but it didn't stop. Now I can hear it at 54-58 mph and then at 71-75 mph, it used to be 71-73 mph. You "zeroed" it down calling it a "vibration."

Do you know, or have an idea of what is causing it?

Does someone out there would like to take a good guess?

Thanks,
A
Does the noise quiet down when you let go of the gas?
Old 11-09-2010, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
Yes, it does. I can't hear it between 60-70 mph. I've pushed the gas pedal in neutral to check if I could hear the noise but there is no noise in neutral - it's actually quiet.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

So I checked this out further today on the highway. At 71-72, the noise surfaced and then went away at about 76. At 72, when i could hear the noise, i took my foot off of the gas and the noise went away. So i brought it back up to speed and noted the rpms were just under 2,400. Taking my foot off of the gas again the noise went away as the rpm's approached 22-23,00. Foot back on the gas, i could hear the noise through 25-2,600 rpm and then it faded away, by this time i was at about 77-78mph. I think, in my situation at least, it is just a matter of the acoustics of the car at this speed and rpm range. I do not believe it has anything to do with the rear differential, as the noise fades as soon as i take my foot off the gas, thus leading me to believe it is the exhaust acoustics.

Again, the noise is not a whine, more of a humming sound. I am not too worried about it, but will pay attention to it as time goes on.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Again, the noise is not a whine, more of a humming sound. I am not too worried about it, but will pay attention to it as time goes on.
Thanks for your input, this is very similar to what I experience but I don't know how loud you hear it. I now hear it at 38-56 mph and again at 71-74 mph, and since I drive between 70-75 mph I can hear it all the time and it is annoying, people riding in my car can also notice it and make comments - usually not so nice, because it is an Audi.

We'll see what happens. Keep an ear on yours!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for your input, this is very similar to what I experience but I don't know how loud you hear it. I now hear it at 38-56 mph and again at 71-74 mph, and since I drive between 70-75 mph I can hear it all the time and it is annoying, people riding in my car can also notice it and make comments - usually not so nice, because it is an Audi.

That is maybe where our experiences differ, the noise i hear is not that loud, but is noticable. My wife says she doesn't hear anything, but i am not surprised! I will let you know if it worsens or starts showing up at different speeds.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If Audi thinks its the exhaust, ask Audi USA to let your dealer inspect the exhuast system. You would be missing some components or some components might be broken or needs adjustment.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

If Audi thinks its the exhaust, ask Audi USA to let your dealer inspect the exhuast system. You would be missing some components or some components might be broken or needs adjustment.
Audi Customer Relations contacted dealership and it was decided that my car be brought for further diagnostic. It'll be done after Thanksgiving, though. Will post update.

Thanks all for your input. Happy Thanksgiving!

Quick Reply: Humming noise from exhaust system & Audi doesn't have a fix.