Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Humming noise from exhaust system & Audi doesn't have a fix.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2.0 or 3.2?
Old 11-12-2010, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rs4vr
2.0 or 3.2?
2010 3.2
Old 11-15-2010, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Acapulco
Audi Customer Relations contacted dealership and it was decided that my car be brought for further diagnostic. It'll be done after Thanksgiving, though. Will post update.

Thanks all for your input. Happy Thanksgiving!
Please keep us updated.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
Please keep us updated.
Below is my update:

Dropped car on 12/01/10 for further diagnostic. Technicians checked everything that could possibly cause the noise and asked Audi for advice. After keeping the car for 6 working days, here is the diagnostic: Since the noise (the humming) can be replicated in other Q5s with similar engine (3.2) it is then considered a "normal exhaust note" and no repair is necessary. Audi says that it is a normal sound from the exhaust system depending on the engine's rpms. Techs drove other cars and found that they also make this humming sound at the same rpms.

I guess I'll have to get used to it and/or turn the radio up.

Happy Holidays to you all!
Old 12-09-2010, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Greetings!

I've been following this forum for some time now and have learned quite a few things from all of you, and I've had quite a few laughs as well. I'm reaching out to your personal experiences with your Q5s. Here is my situation:

My 2010 Q5 with 8k miles makes an annoying humming noise at 71-73mph, it started making it at about 6k miles. Because it was getting louder I took it to the dealer and they also noticed this noise, the mechanic said it was the first time he heard this kind of noise but didn't know what it was.

They kept my car for 10 days and replaced the rear differential.

When I picked up the car I asked if the noise was gone; the service advisor said: "No, the noise still there, we called Audi and they said that the noise may come from the exhaust system but they don't have a fix, they advise you to keep driving it until they find a fix...:

So I have my car back and still makes that horrible noise that is decreasing the pleasure of driving it.

Thanks a lot.

Analila
Not sure if this will help but I had a very similar issue with another awd car that drove me nuts. It turned out to be the tires. Oddly enough the uneven wear from not keeping up with the rotation may have been the cause. I changed the tires and bingo. It should be noted that these were 45 series tires. I would try rotating the tires first. If it changes anything then you know it's the tires. Good luck.

Nelson
Old 12-10-2010, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by njbiker
Not sure if this will help but I had a very similar issue with another awd car that drove me nuts. It turned out to be the tires. Oddly enough the uneven wear from not keeping up with the rotation may have been the cause. I changed the tires and bingo. It should be noted that these were 45 series tires. I would try rotating the tires first. If it changes anything then you know it's the tires. Good luck.

Nelson
Thanks, I had the tires rotated - on my own and did not tell the dealer, but the sound did not go away. Perhaps now that I'm getting used to it I hear it less?

I traded a Murano for the Q5 and that suv made the same sound, when I took it to the dealer first, they replaced the transmission and the sound was still there, they ended up replacing the catalytic converter and now I don't recall if the sound disappeared. I took that as an excuse to get a new car - my beautiful Q5.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks, I had the tires rotated - on my own and did not tell the dealer, but the sound did not go away. Perhaps now that I'm getting used to it I hear it less?

I traded a Murano for the Q5 and that suv made the same sound, when I took it to the dealer first, they replaced the transmission and the sound was still there, they ended up replacing the catalytic converter and now I don't recall if the sound disappeared. I took that as an excuse to get a new car - my beautiful Q5.
Have you try to ask the dealer to go on a test drive with you on a demo car to see if that one sounds the same?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
Have you try to ask the dealer to go on a test drive with you on a demo car to see if that one sounds the same?
The first time they kept my car for 10 days and they told me they did drive two other cars, same 3.2 engine and they made the same sound. The second time they also drove another car and the technician said he noticed the same noise at the same rpms.

I was going to drive a brand new 2011 3.2 with the technician but I felt that was not going to be a good point of reference since it was a 2011 anyway. I'm adjusting to the sound now as everything else is nice in my car.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The first time they kept my car for 10 days and they told me they did drive two other cars, same 3.2 engine and they made the same sound. The second time they also drove another car and the technician said he noticed the same noise at the same rpms.

I was going to drive a brand new 2011 3.2 with the technician but I felt that was not going to be a good point of reference since it was a 2011 anyway. I'm adjusting to the sound now as everything else is nice in my car.
It seems like you are getting use to the sound, sometime harmonic noise can be very hard to troubleshoot, if its no too bad, I would just leave it alone.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i have the same problem with 2012 q5 except i call it a pure tone around 2500 rpm any gear it is a distinct sound above the average "flat noise" of the engine tone. i took it in they said it was a bracket but it didnt fix it now that i know others have the problem i will tke it back being an acoustical engineer i suggest it is a function of exhaust piping length or pipe diameter or the inside of the silencer has lost its packing same as blowing across the top of a bottle

Quick Reply: Humming noise from exhaust system & Audi doesn't have a fix.