Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

I currently own a 2012 RX350 and drove a Q5 today

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CapeDave, you should post this on a Lexus forum too. You'll a good cross section of replies.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Fred D

FWIW I found the Rx 350 incredibly disappointing. I had expected that testing other cars along with the audi was more of a 'going through the motions', as I loved that LS so much and had such a good experience with lexus in general.... I just don't think the Rx 350 is competing for the same type of people who look at the Q5, X3, GLK, infinity, etc. the RX 350 was a dud (for me)
In 2009, wife and I spend weekend test driving X3, RX350, Q5, MDX, X90
IN my area Lexus and Audi across the street. We walk to the Lexus, the guy was very informative and real salesman. After 20 min talking to us he ask - would you like to test drive RX? I didn't have time to answer - my wife sad - no, thank you we are leaving for this lovely Q5 across the street. end of story.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
CapeDave, you should post this on a Lexus forum too. You'll a good cross section of replies.
Yes, I have done that. Lots of good replies there too.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-...a-q5-2-0t.html
Old 01-11-2014, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I traded in a 2010 ES350 with 28k miles for the Q5. Before that I had a 2007 ES350. Both were bullet proof and provided a very good ownership experience.

The driving experience is different than in the Lexus. Both are good, just different dynamics.

I'm like you and like to try other brands and types of vehicles. After 14 months we are still enjoying the Audi and it's been problem free since purchase. Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I traded in a 2010 ES350 with 28k miles for the Q5. Before that I had a 2007 ES350. Both were bullet proof and provided a very good ownership experience.

The driving experience is different than in the Lexus. Both are good, just different dynamics.

I'm like you and like to try other brands and types of vehicles. After 14 months we are still enjoying the Audi and it's been problem free since purchase. Good luck with your decision.
Thanks, I love to hear good stuff like this. I have great luck with cars, so I really am not worried. I think Audi makes a fantastic car. And I like different driving experiences. Before the RX I had an X3. Like it but that year had a very harsh ride (2005) unless the road was perfectly smooth. Then it was excellent.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

He'll get a consensus of what he already knows. Lexus is more reliable, practical and the dealership experience is better. No one will dare mention that the RX is a sportier, fun to drive vehicle over the Q5.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by lmariorod
He'll get a consensus of what he already knows. Lexus is more reliable, practical and the dealership experience is better. No one will dare mention that the RX is a sportier, fun to drive vehicle over the Q5.
Yes one will naturally get a certain amount of brand/model bias on any forum (AW included - It's natural) but IMO if someone is looking for this type of input, it can't hurt.

Personally, I'd never start a "what should I buy" thread.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I drove the Q5 2.0T again. Same one with the 19" wheels. took it on the highway this time. Was very satisfied. My friend who I brought along was very impressed with the car.

Biggest issue is their own website said 33,250 - 37,370 for my car (from the dealer) I of course was hoping for $37, the salesman said, $30K. Ouch. That surprised me. I knew he would be off, but did not think by that much.

Due to the "equity" I have in my car, I could still do it, but would have less $$$ in my pocket after the deal. (lease in this case)

I am aware that any brand Forum will be biased. That is as it should be.

I will be crunching some numbers.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by CapeDave
I drove the Q5 2.0T again. Same one with the 19" wheels. took it on the highway this time. Was very satisfied. My friend who I brought along was very impressed with the car.

Biggest issue is their own website said 33,250 - 37,370 for my car (from the dealer) I of course was hoping for $37, the salesman said, $30K. Ouch. That surprised me. I knew he would be off, but did not think by that much.

Due to the "equity" I have in my car, I could still do it, but would have less $$$ in my pocket after the deal. (lease in this case)

I am aware that any brand Forum will be biased. That is as it should be.

I will be crunching some numbers.
If you have a Car Max near you, you can take your Lexus in and they'll give you a written offer for what they will pay for the vehicle. It only takes about 1/2 hour and then you can either sell it to them, if you like the offer, or use the written offer with the dealer in negotiations. I think the Car Max offer is good for something like 7 days.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you have a Car Max near you, you can take your Lexus in and they'll give you a written offer for what they will pay for the vehicle. It only takes about 1/2 hour and then you can either sell it to them, if you like the offer, or use the written offer with the dealer in negotiations. I think the Car Max offer is good for something like 7 days.
+1 for CarMax!

Quick Reply: I currently own a 2012 RX350 and drove a Q5 today