Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

I currently own a 2012 RX350 and drove a Q5 today

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sid369
CapeDave,

I am also interested in the Q5 2.0 and I am glad you started this thread. I currently have a RAV4 V6 sports with run flat and the ride is rough. I have a long commute so want something comfortable and not feel all the bumps in the road.

My wife and I took a test drive of the RX350 and really liked the interior and seats, but it was no fun to drive. We also test drove the X3 and found the seats to be a little hard and very similar to the 3 series we have. We want something different and I read that the Q5 is a good balance between bmw handling and the lexus ride.

Since you already own the RX350, i want to know, how did you find the Q5 in terms of ride comforts and the seats. This weekend it was raining so couldn't do the test drive, hopefully next weekend I would be able to test drive it.

MPG is also important and the 2.0 is better than the RX350 in gas milage, thought about the TDI, but the cost difference vs the time I would keep the car (will be leasing) doesn't make sense to pay the difference.

I have 1.5 years of payments left on the RAV4 and instead of paying for the RAV4, i thought I could pay a little more and lease a new car.

I would much appreciate your comments regarding the two cars or anyone else for that matter. This forum has some really helpful members.

Do you guys know if you can get a good discount through Costco?
sid369,
don't take my answer wrong, but you can read 100 response to your questions and 100 will be different.

you and your wife have to go together and test drive Q5 at condition, close that you will be driving every day.

I test drive X3 and Q5 side by side and had hard time to choose with is better (my daughter vote for X3), but my wife don't like exterior design of X3 so much, that she refuse to take test drive.
Car is for her - if she don't like so much - who am I to tell her different.
Happy wife - happy life!
Old 01-13-2014, 04:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the ride better than my Lexus. That is one reason for the possible move. It seemed better on the bumps and super tight in all the ways I like it. Good feel, peppy, super fun to drive.

The turning radius is truly something to experience. Very tight!

I appreciate your situation as it is somewhat similar to mine. I need to accept that me changing cars simply does not and will not make financial sense. It leaves me with a little less $$$ but also with a car I love.

So maybe not a Win Win, but one WIN for sure And when it comes to cars, that is often enough.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Lexus interior is a bit dated. And you're right to be attracted to the new technologies Audi provides, including the Wifi hotspot. For highway driving, the Q5 should be as smooth as the your Lexus SUV. The 8-speed tranny is smooth - I have it on my allroad and I like it.

Originally Posted by CapeDave
I love my Lexus. Quiet, mostly smooth. But for some reason the Q5 got under my skin and after hours of reading here and other places I went and drove a 2.0T Q5 with Bang & O, MMI, side mirror heat, and active blind spot tech and I really liked it.

I have some equity in my car and would most likely lease.

I did not get a chance to do any highway driving, but I was nicely impressed with the 4 banger. Have had V6's my last 4 cars. The 8 speed trans is also intriguing.

I have great luck with cars and it seemed very well built. And the Quattro would be good in bad weather.

Anyways, I must be a bit crazy as I really do not need a new car but I like the new tech and Audi I think is really coming into their own.

I was going to also drive an A4 but the Q5 is really what I need.

Thanks for listening. Seems like a really fun car! I will drive it again and bring a friend to get a second opinion.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

After reading all this post, I drive to my local Audi dealership and take a short ride on 2014 Q5.
At list this time salesman was normal and knew his staff and done Europen delivery before.
My plan to get my wife new Q5 in mid August and this time hit Prague and Vienna.
Will see, daughter would like to see her friend from Rome, maybe go down to Italy after Austria.
Next step- made appointment with my SA and wife will choose interior and exterior colors and drive her self on freeway and on the street.
Then next step is sign papers ion end of March/ beginning of April.
And I need to change my signature ......

Last edited by TIME89; 01-13-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TIME89
After reading all this post, I drive to my local Audi dealership and take a short ride on 2014 Q5.
At list this time salesman was normal and knew his staff and done Europen delivery before.
My plan to get my wife new Q5 in mid August and this time hit Prague, Vienna and Budapest.
Will see, daughter would like to see her friend from Rome, maybe go down to Italy after Austria.
Next step- made appointment with my SA and wife will choose interior and exterior colors and drive her self on freeway and on the street.
Then next step is sign papers ion end of March/ beginning of April.
And I need to change my signature ......
That is really fantastic. What an adventure.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That is really fantastic. What an adventure.
I blame you, CapeDave, for put all this in motion!!!!!!!

http://binged.it/Kg97Za
Old 01-13-2014, 08:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I blame you, CapeDave, for put all this in motion!!!!!!!

http://binged.it/Kg97Za
I am very proud to have played a part, however small. I'll take the "blame" for a world class experience and CAR anytime
Old 01-13-2014, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I am very proud to have played a part, however small. I'll take the "blame" for a world class experience and CAR anytime
Nice!
How about help with down payment ?

Last edited by TIME89; 01-13-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm green with envy!
Old 01-13-2014, 11:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice!
How about help with down payment ?
Now you're dreaming However, if you would like to help with my down payment I would gladly accept

Quick Reply: I currently own a 2012 RX350 and drove a Q5 today