Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

I found that the ABS-sensor based TPMS works

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

Mark, lengthy document here on compliance testing of the new system:

http://www.tpmsmaderight.com/pdf/TRTR-640937-2009.pdf
Old 10-08-2013, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by idale
Glad it worked out for you Mark, but the wheel sensors can tell you which is low, it's just the specific implementation on any prior vehicle might not relay that information. My Odyssey will tell me which is low, as well as (if I go to the screen) what the pressures are at each corner. Still, it'll be nice to not have to worry about the sensors going bad or anything since I can check exact pressures myself and all I really need is the notice that something's wrong.
Not sure about the Q5 but in the C7s, the indirect system will alert and point you to the specific offending tire. Not as slick as the A8 readouts but at least there's no guessing which tire is low as was the case on my '09 A4 which just alerted that one of the four tires was down (it had direct sensors).
The following users liked this post:
uberwgn (12-12-2020)
Old 10-08-2013, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Not sure about the Q5 but in the C7s, the indirect system will alert and point you to the specific offending tire. Not as slick as the A8 readouts but at least there's no guessing which tire is low as was the case on my '09 A4 which just alerted that one of the four tires was down (it had direct sensors).
Wow, that's insane. My Odyssey is a 2009 and Honda's system points out the exact tire (and as mentioned also can show you pressure per tire). Pretty crazy that you wouldn't at least get a notification on which tire is low, even if they didn't give you the actual PSI readings with the wheel sensors on the A4.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, that's insane. My Odyssey is a 2009 and Honda's system points out the exact tire (and as mentioned also can show you pressure per tire). Pretty crazy that you wouldn't at least get a notification on which tire is low, even if they didn't give you the actual PSI readings with the wheel sensors on the A4.
And again I'll note that I don't think it's insane. Indirect system is clearly tied to the specific wheel (abs sensors have known locations), while direct systems use wireless interface and can mive around (pressure sensor is in tire). So I'd say it'd be "insane" if the indirect system didn't tell you the specific tire, but not do if a direct system didn't tell you which one.

Btw it may br useful to avoid the term "wheel sensor" as both the indirect "abs sensor" and the direct "pressure sensor" could be considered under that term and may confuse some.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark P
And again I'll note that I don't think it's insane. Indirect system is clearly tied to the specific wheel (abs sensors have known locations), while direct systems use wireless interface and can mive around (pressure sensor is in tire). So I'd say it'd be "insane" if the indirect system didn't tell you the specific tire, but not do if a direct system didn't tell you which one.

Btw it may br useful to avoid the term "wheel sensor" as both the indirect "abs sensor" and the direct "pressure sensor" could be considered under that term and may confuse some.
Then I suppose Honda deserves props for coming out with an extremely useful feature that Audi couldn't. Which also means I'm taking a step backward by returning to VAG. Sad to hear that considering that VAG used to be more on the leading edge.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Then I suppose Honda deserves props for coming out with an extremely useful feature that Audi couldn't. Which also means I'm taking a step backward by returning to VAG. Sad to hear that considering that VAG used to be more on the leading edge.
Yeah, actual pressure and tracking location automatically would be most desired. If Honda does that, props to them. If your tech has been manually updating the wheel locations when moving wheels (or if they are incorrect and you don't know it), then that's not so good.

At least all cars now require some form of TPMS saving tires and lives
Old 10-09-2013, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Don't give Honda too much credit. My 2008 MDX could display individual tire pressures, and it would automatically recognize new sensors when switching over to the winter wheels. My 2012 Odyssey Touring cannot display individual tire pressures (yes, Honda de-contented), and I need to program the sensors' ESNs into the car which necsessitated the purchase of the $150 tool.