Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

If I get my Q5 before road trip, what "prep" should I do? VAGCOM essentials? Nav/MP3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turguin
I'm not sure I believe this. My 2013 Hybrid Q5 does this (holds the car in place on an incline until you pull away). Not talking about engaging the e-brake switch - though it supports that too.
Well, there isn't a button to engage it like the picture that spijun posted, that I'm pretty sure of. Well, I'm not sure of with the Hybrid, but it isn't present on the Q or SQ as far as I know.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by B8Fish
The start/stop does not really shut off the ACC "ports" (I was using the lighter adapter in front of the shift ****), but the momentary drop in current was enough to cause the V1 to sense an issue and thus do a restart. I dont know if that will happen with a dedicated connection through the fuse box....the brown out booster is V1's answer to the auto start/stop feature--apparently this is a common issue as the feature becomes more prevalent. I tried just the Savvy at first--and it prevents the start/stop issue for short intervals, but not for longer stops (like a stoplight). I have looked at upgrading the V1--but I like it too much! The Savvy module is a good compromise to eliminate having to hit the mute through all the parking lots/auto doors etc. I was incorrect before--you can set the speed at up to 65 MPH--this is the speed at which it will auto mute the alert for you after the initial beep--I really like it so far (4 days and counting!)
If I only cared about addressing the Start/Stop restart alerting, does one or the other of these address that? If you had to do it again, would you just buy one? Or could you clarify how Savvy helps, how BOB helps, and how the operate together?

You said Savvy helps at short lights but not long ones - did you mean BOB? Does Savvy help with startup, or only after the V1 starts?
Old 08-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark P
If I only cared about addressing the Start/Stop restart alerting, does one or the other of these address that?
the BOB will eliminate the restart alerts.

If you had to do it again, would you just buy one? Or could you clarify how Savvy helps, how BOB helps, and how the operate together?
For me--I will keep both (I have them installed under the dash so I cant see them). Savvy for me is primarily to eliminate having to mute alerts when traveling under a certain speed (I have it set at 30 MPH). This is worth the $$ for me (but having it plugged in and out of sight is a huge plus!).

You said Savvy helps at short lights but not long ones - did you mean BOB? Does Savvy help with startup, or only after the V1 starts?
I really am not sure--someone who can confirm the OBD port may be able to help--but I tried using just Savvy at first--and it worked to prevent the restart issue in testing (me stopping and starting briefly)--but when I used in daily driving I still got some restart startups. I then added the BOB in-line after the Savvy and have had no issues since then.

Bottom line--if you only care about restarts--use the BOB. If you wan the V1 to be auto muted for you after an alert (up to 65MPH) then add Savvy.

Since I drive in and out of school zones and through lots of strip malls--Savvy is a benefit to me.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by B8Fish
I really am not sure--someone who can confirm the OBD port may be able to help--but I tried using just Savvy at first--and it worked to prevent the restart issue in testing (me stopping and starting briefly)--but when I used in daily driving I still got some restart startups. I then added the BOB in-line after the Savvy and have had no issues since then.

Bottom line--if you only care about restarts--use the BOB. If you wan the V1 to be auto muted for you after an alert (up to 65MPH) then add Savvy.

Since I drive in and out of school zones and through lots of strip malls--Savvy is a benefit to me.
Thanks, that sure helps. Maybe I'll try both now. Savvy had peaked my interest before, but not enough to buy as I have minimal alerts on my daily drive, but do have more on the weekends. BOB sounds like it might be necessary, the same way I decided against Side Assist.

Now I understand that the wiring you saved was because you went from using the cigarette lighter connection to using the hardwire. That's not specific to BOB or Savvy, but just something you did at the same time, I think. As I already have my wiring fully hidden, adding Savvy actually makes some of the wiring visible (under dash) and clogs the port. Minor issue, of course...
Old 08-29-2013, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gtwagon941
Well, there isn't a button to engage it like the picture that spijun posted, that I'm pretty sure of. Well, I'm not sure of with the Hybrid, but it isn't present on the Q or SQ as far as I know.
Definitely true - there is no separate button. It just works when you're on an incline.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Added #10 - Create Wifi Hotspot. Thanks Larry! Just picked up a $39 tablet for our daughter. Seemed too good to pass up, even if she just uses it for youtube or viewing photos or skype. I even picked up a 2nd just to use as a photo "frame" at work.

http://www.nobetterdeal.com/shop/en/...labor+day+sale

They seem to be out of stock now (can't select "condition" from drop down) but their inventory and website have gone back and forth so they may be metering how many they allot each day. FYI if anyone else is interested. Also here's a review that show's smooth movement, etc:

For $39, how can I not? I think our Mexican dinner (really good fajitas) last night was $39 lol
Old 09-02-2013, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

AHA is not on the US Q5.
I'm not sure I believe this. My 2013 Hybrid Q5 does this (holds the car in place on an incline until you pull away). Not talking about engaging the e-brake switch - though it supports that too.
Definitely true - there is no separate button. It just works when you're on an incline.
To clarify the "hill hold" differences between U.S. and other countries:

1) U.S. Version has hill hold "light"; if facing up on a steep enough incline, when you remove your foot from the brake pedal, the brakes will hold for about 2 seconds or until you step on the gas, preventing roll back (doesn't work if on a down incline).

2) I.e., the Euro version has the hill hold "full" available with a dedicated console switch. If activated, the car will hold on any incline (up or down) until the gas pedal is depressed (no time limit).

Note that if you manually set the e-brake switch on it will perform essentially the the same as #2 above without regard to incline. The car remains braked until the gas pedal is depressed (at least in recent U.S. models). This only works if the seat belt is attached; If not, the e-brake will not auto release unless manually disengaged.

The above assumes a recent U.S. Q5 operates in the same manner as the C7.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
To clarify the "hill hold" differences between U.S. and other countries:

1) U.S. Version has hill hold "light"; if facing up on a steep enough incline, when you remove your foot from the brake pedal, the brakes will hold for about 2 seconds or until you step on the gas, preventing roll back (doesn't work if on a down incline).
This is standard on all new Audi models in the world with an automatic gearbox or S-tronic
Old 09-02-2013, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark P
I see this as a VCDS item:
"Enable Release Parking Brake without putting seatbelt"
which infers that without this setting, I would need seatbelt on to release parking brake. Is that true? Seems unlikely - but then why wasn't this article written in the opposite direction (Disable...). Hmmm
Mark, your answer was basically answered indirectly, but here is a more detailed answer for you and anyone else wondering.

On US spec Q5s, if the parking brake is on and you have your seat belt on and then press the gas, the brake will automatically release. If your seat belt is not on, the brake will not release when you press the gas. The seat belt being on or not will not affect the manual function of the parking brake button. ie you can leave your seat belt off, release the parking brake manually and then drive the car.

The VCDS item you are referring to will change the behavior so that if your seat belt is not on and you press the gas the brake will release.

Personally I think this is not a good thing to change as it provides an extra level of protection against the car being driven unintentionally.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by AFOURIA
Mark, your answer was basically answered indirectly, but here is a more detailed answer for you and anyone else wondering.

On US spec Q5s, if the parking brake is on and you have your seat belt on and then press the gas, the brake will automatically release. If your seat belt is not on, the brake will not release when you press the gas. The seat belt being on or not will not affect the manual function of the parking brake button. ie you can leave your seat belt off, release the parking brake manually and then drive the car.

The VCDS item you are referring to will change the behavior so that if your seat belt is not on and you press the gas the brake will release.

Personally I think this is not a good thing to change as it provides an extra level of protection against the car being driven unintentionally.
Thanks - great explanation!

Quick Reply: If I get my Q5 before road trip, what "prep" should I do? VAGCOM essentials? Nav/MP3?