Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Infant Car Seat Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vwtoys
Are you talking about the head restraint/support?
Our SIP is an older model, with flimsier head support. Our little one's head tilt to the side since his neck is still a little weak. Truthfully I didn't think it was optimal for side impact protection, given that the head support pads are not too rigid. I have since added foam on either side so the head slot is only about 5-6 inches across and his head will be straight. I think he will be more comfortable. And add a little cushioning for side impact. If I were you I would check out the Graco seats since they're a bit cheaper and may just work fine.
Yup, the head/restraint support... I am going to stop by a local store that carries these brands and check out the car seats. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2011, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am sure the others do too, but the Chico comes with a seat insert for smaller babies. Also, you can roll a baby blanket up and tuck it in on one side to help - that is what the hospital showed us to do. Our baby girl was a premie - only 5 lbs when we brought her home. She is still cruising in the Chico a year later at just over 20lbs.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

We started out with a Graco Snugride seat but Craigslisted it and a got Chicco Keyfit 30 instead. Feels like a much better quality (especially the strollers if you go for the travel system). A bit more expensive but imo definitely worth it.

By the way, over here you have to call the FD or PD if you want to get the seat installation checked. Not every station has a 'certified car seat installer' on staff so they can direct you to one that does and is on shift.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5Dawg
Currently using a Chico Keyfit 30 and really like it - have a base in the Q5 and the Jeep GC, both located in the center using the latch system. Wife had the same concern with a side impact so baby goes in the middle. Haven't had passengers and baby at the same time in the Q5 yet, so not sure on the seating room.
Having it in the middle, doesn't that prevent you from moving both seats back very far? Infant carriers and rear facing convertibles take up quite a bit of room and your supposed to have a gap between them and the front seats. I didn't try the chicco in the middle, but before we bought the Q5 I made sure that the front passenger seat was at least usable (my Saab didn't have any leg room with a rear facing in the back.

As far as having someone inspect your install, our hospital actually had appointments you could sign up for and they would install it for you (and also show you). Car installs are pretty straight forward and if you read the directions, shouldn't be an issue for you to put in. The statistics on people using them incorrectly are pretty amazing. Having twins in the Nicu, we had to go through a car install and put the babies in their car seats properly. The woman who did this told me a majority of issues come from the baby not being properly secured vs the car seat being installed wrong. She said the two biggest issues was not having the chest clip at the arm pits and not making the straps tight enough. If you have any questions or concerns about securing your baby, you should ask your delivery hospital about speaking to their car seat person. Any hospital with a Nicu should have one.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hmn4858
Having it in the middle, doesn't that prevent you from moving both seats back very far? Infant carriers and rear facing convertibles take up quite a bit of room and your supposed to have a gap between them and the front seats. I didn't try the chicco in the middle, but before we bought the Q5 I made sure that the front passenger seat was at least usable (my Saab didn't have any leg room with a rear facing in the back.

As far as having someone inspect your install, our hospital actually had appointments you could sign up for and they would install it for you (and also show you). Car installs are pretty straight forward and if you read the directions, shouldn't be an issue for you to put in. The statistics on people using them incorrectly are pretty amazing. Having twins in the Nicu, we had to go through a car install and put the babies in their car seats properly. The woman who did this told me a majority of issues come from the baby not being properly secured vs the car seat being installed wrong. She said the two biggest issues was not having the chest clip at the arm pits and not making the straps tight enough. If you have any questions or concerns about securing your baby, you should ask your delivery hospital about speaking to their car seat person. Any hospital with a Nicu should have one.
With the car seat in the middle you actually have more adjustability than you would if it was directly behind one of the front seats because the car seat will fit between the car's front seats when adjusting backwards, but even with our set positions the car seat does not contact either of the front seats. I typically drive in a more upright position, so there is plenty of room back there for the car seat.

Our little girl was also in NICU for two weeks before we could bring her home. The hospital did a car seat test where they placed her in it for 45 minutes in the hospital with her monitors still attached just to make sure she did not have any issues with breathing - essentially there is a chance of their heads falling forward and pinching off the airway. They instructed us on how to install in the car, but did not come down and verify it. The Chico bases have built-in bubble levels so when you install them they instruct you to adjust it to get it level.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/Traff.../LATCH_faq.pdf

Page 3 answers the using inboard latches for the center seat.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hmn4858
http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/Traff.../LATCH_faq.pdf

Page 3 answers the using inboard latches for the center seat.
Good find. To their point, in both of my vehicles the outside seating is wider than the center seat, so I am sure we are good. The bases tighten down and are level - when installed I placed my knee in the center of the base and then pulled the LATCH strap as tight as it would go.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Bringing back an old thread. My wife and I are going to be having twin boys in about 5 months, so we are in the midst of figuring out what stroller/infant seat combo will best suit our needs. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the Cybex Aton infant seat? Apparently, it is brand new to the US market, but has been popular in Europe for several years. Cybex is a German company, so i feel that they have designed the seat adn base to fit their cars better!

The design of the seat is more compact than the Graco snugride, being both narrower and shorter. The big difference is that the base is much smaller. I fitted the snugride 30 into the back of the Q5 yesterday and it really makes the front seat position uncomfortable. With the Cybex installed, i had about 2 more inches of room to move the seat back. Also, it seems that we can put them side by side (one in the middle, one behind the passenger). The snugride will not allow that due to the wider seat and base.

We are looking at the bugaboo donkey stroller, which the cybex seat fits, but it doesn't fit the snap n go stroller sysetm, so now my wife wants to stick with the snugride. I am trying to talk her into the cybex and am looking for any positive (or negative) feedback from anyone who has gotten the Cybex Aton.

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2011, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by eppoh7

We are looking at the bugaboo donkey stroller, which the cybex seat fits, but it doesn't fit the snap n go stroller sysetm, so now my wife wants to stick with the snugride. I am trying to talk her into the cybex and am looking for any positive (or negative) feedback from anyone who has gotten the Cybex Aton.

Thanks!
You'll have better luck getting some answers from a baby forum like baby bargins than here.

I don't think Cybex was out when I bought mine so I really don't know much about them. I got two Chicco Keyfits and have them both on the outboard seats. They're smaller and weigh less than the snugride. With the snap and go stroller some car seats don't actually snap in but rest on the bar and then you use the safety strap. Maybe the Cybex would fit like that? A big selling point is less weight is a big plus. I think there's about a pound difference between the Cybex and snugride (with the snugride being heavier) which doesn't sound like much but when you multiple it by two and the kids start growing every ounce matters. Good luck with everything!
Old 10-24-2011, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ha, you are right! But, i thought i would try here first as we all have a common love for our Audi. When you go to the baby forumns you never know where the posters are coming from Most seats fit great in a Dodge Caravan!

Thank you for your feedback though. I agree the 1lb. makes a huge difference. I will take the snap n go back and see if i can strap the seat on. Worst case scenario though, Cybex is coming out with their own travel stroller, in which case i will just have to buy one for each of the grandparents.

Quick Reply: Infant Car Seat Advice