Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Information for those questioning window tint...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrar97
Formula One's ceramic is known to match OEM smoke and not have the green cast that the Llumar CTX has. Unfortunately, there are NO F1 dealers in my area at all...or else I would have gone that route.
Yep, I was going to go with Air 80 from the local F1 dealer (wanted as much heat rejection with as little VLT drop as possible), but when checking out a sample on the front window, the blue cast was way more noticeable than I expected. He put up a sample of Pinnacle 50 up and it was a great match for the charcoal (brownish grey -- which could partly come from my Chestnut seats).

Sucks you weren't able to go F1, odd that absolutely nobody there carries it. It's also a bit odd that LLumar's version (the CTX) was so different. I know the F1 brand is supposed to be the "premium" version, but still you'd at least think the products would be nearly the same from a color standpoint. At least you're happy with the coloring with the ATC, but of course it'd be preferable getting the ceramic for better performance all around. (But if you couldn't stand looking at it then it may as well not exist.)
Old 12-04-2014, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by idale
Yep, I was going to go with Air 80 from the local F1 dealer (wanted as much heat rejection with as little VLT drop as possible), but when checking out a sample on the front window, the blue cast was way more noticeable than I expected. He put up a sample of Pinnacle 50 up and it was a great match for the charcoal (brownish grey -- which could partly come from my Chestnut seats).

Sucks you weren't able to go F1, odd that absolutely nobody there carries it. It's also a bit odd that LLumar's version (the CTX) was so different. I know the F1 brand is supposed to be the "premium" version, but still you'd at least think the products would be nearly the same from a color standpoint. At least you're happy with the coloring with the ATC, but of course it'd be preferable getting the ceramic for better performance all around. (But if you couldn't stand looking at it then it may as well not exist.)
Yes...I was also going to do the Air 80 (when I intended to have full-ceramic). Even had the ceramic worked for me, I was NOT going to proceed with with the Air 80 because of that blue you noticed yourself. They are working on a new 90 version that has no color-cast, but it wasn't available yet.
Since writing the info above, I got the chance to see some SunTek ceramic today, and it has the exact green cast as the Llumar and the Prestige that I've seen. Must be inherit to the ceramic. Looks like F1 Pinnacle is the only brand to have figured out the coloring so far (as they used to be green too). Their latest version appears to have totally eliminated it.
Being as only my fronts are done at this point, maybe an F1 dealer will pop up some day, and I will just have the front removed and everything re-done in Pinnacle from F1.
I did get the pano-roof done in the Llumar CTX...because you'll never see the green cast due to it being on the roof (or at least I'll never see it)...if any airplanes passing by are offended by the green, I'll say "too bad".