Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Installing bluetooth module in Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing bluetooth module in Audi Q5

How do you install the Bluetooth Communication Interface Control Module in an 2011 Audi Q5? Where is it located? Just bought a part and trying to find a manual or set of instructions to set it up. My car did not come with bluetooth and I have the Audi Concert Series audio system. Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Search some threads. Your best bet is to buy a third-party BlueTooth audio receiver module that plugs into the AMI socket in the glove box, and feeds all of the BT audio from your phone (calls and music) into the car's entertainment system. That means you'll still be making/dialing calls from the phone, or the phone's own voice-dialing system, but trying to modify anything electronic in an Audi usually starts at levels of cost and time that make it more effective to trade in the car.

Just make sure the adapter you choose is able to work with the specific phone (iOS or Android level) and year of the car, or can be returned if it doesn't. Most of them do have quirks of one sort or another. But unless you have a full Audi MMI system, simply adding "factory" BT would only give you phone audio--no music, no nav guidance, etc. Upgrading to a full MMI...did I mention "trade in the car" ?
Old 12-24-2017, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

In our 2010 Q5 the BT module is located somewhere unde the rear seat- replacement in ours required removal of the rear seat.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bluetooth Mic is located in dome light housing next to sunglass holder and garage opened ie homelink. I have a bluetooth unit and Mic from 12 Q5 for sale..
Old 12-25-2017, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 132 Likes on 123 Posts

I also did not have a bluetooth module in my radio concert and I have added both bluetooth and a2dp stereo suport. Now I am looking into installing mmi 3G.
options
1. buy the audi bluetooth telephone module with the dome insert microphone
2. buy the kufatec fiscon bluetooth module with the dome insert microphone

2. comes with a2dp support but it has only mono support so not useful

For a2dp if you have aux you can get an aux bluetooth adaptor (see kufatec)

For a2dp if tou have AMI there is a compatible AMI buetooth adaptor.

Radio concert has only a2dp stereo support through AMI or aux.

if you would thing of upgrading to mmi3g bluetooth is already included in the mmi 3G unit, so might be worth looking into this but you will also need to change apart from mmi 3g, other hardware like radio, mmi harness, gps addon, gateway, center console, 7" screen, and bluetooth harness. Might be expensive but it is an option. You will also need dealer services to remove Component Protection of new hardware.

​​​​​​with radio concert we were not able to get a satisfactory advanced back up camera APS+ solution with radar functionality. Still investigating the gateway swap to facelift, in order to see if radar (optical ilustrationn of distance lines) is supported when reversing using the camera interface.

Last edited by apoelistas; 12-25-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011audi5
How do you install the Bluetooth Communication Interface Control Module in an 2011 Audi Q5? Where is it located? Just bought a part and trying to find a manual or set of instructions to set it up. My car did not come with bluetooth and I have the Audi Concert Series audio system. Thanks for your help in advance.
​​​​​​
Or you could update your MMI screen with an Android system which will provide bluetooth phone interface and bluetooth audio, navigation, and so much more.

https://rsnav.com/products/android-n...nt=41928427408

It may have some rough edges right now but if I was the OP I would seriously consider in your situation.

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 12-25-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
​​​​​​
Or you could update your MMI screen with an Android system which will provide bluetooth phone interface and bluetooth audio, navigation, and so much more.

https://rsnav.com/products/android-n...nt=41928427408

It may have some rough edges right now but if I was the OP I would seriously consider in your situation.
definetely a better option than a bluetooth and a2dp hardware addons, since better value for money plus navigation and other features in addition.

There is also dynavin N6 A5 but it is only a 6.5 " direct replacement instead of a 7" screen comparing DennisMitchell link both compatible with radio concert.

Last edited by apoelistas; 12-25-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Integrated nav systems can be a mixed blessing, often a major waste of money, whether they are OEM or third party. For instance, In Cyprus or Newark, the expressways and other roads may have been built out 40 years ago and unchanged since. But in Washington DC, the interstates and bypasses and exits have been under constant construction, and I'd say in the past decade I've never gone through the DC area the same way twice. Parts of the Miami area and north on I95 are the same way, constant construction. Even with Garmin, which in theory updates quarterly, I've had an updated GPS that harshly told me to take the local lanes--not knowing the express lanes had opened several months before. And then there's Gargoyle Maps, which has come up with quaint instructions like "continue driving east" as I was on an interstate looking directly at the setting sun. (OK, I didn't get the memo, the sun sets in the east now.) Gargoyle may have the advantage of having "instant" access to traffic data out in the boonies, but sometimes it has really nasty ideas about which way is up. Literally. (Not their fault I'm sure, with the sun setting in the east, those GPS satellites are probably all out of whack too.)

The anonymous stuff from China, which may update every five years IF at all, and the stuff from that car makers fail to update more than once every two or three years, often at update prices that well exceed whole GPS prices, is incredible. Forget the price, what use are maps two years out of date?

I velcro the GPS on top of the AMI display when I need it. at least if I get mad at it, it is easy enough to open the window and toss it out.(G)

"The miracle is, the dog talks at all."
Old 12-26-2017, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Redd
Integrated nav systems can be a mixed blessing, often a major waste of money, whether they are OEM or third party. For instance, In Cyprus or Newark, the expressways and other roads may have been built out 40 years ago and unchanged since. But in Washington DC, the interstates and bypasses and exits have been under constant construction, and I'd say in the past decade I've never gone through the DC area the same way twice. Parts of the Miami area and north on I95 are the same way, constant construction. Even with Garmin, which in theory updates quarterly, I've had an updated GPS that harshly told me to take the local lanes--not knowing the express lanes had opened several months before. And then there's Gargoyle Maps, which has come up with quaint instructions like "continue driving east" as I was on an interstate looking directly at the setting sun. (OK, I didn't get the memo, the sun sets in the east now.) Gargoyle may have the advantage of having "instant" access to traffic data out in the boonies, but sometimes it has really nasty ideas about which way is up. Literally. (Not their fault I'm sure, with the sun setting in the east, those GPS satellites are probably all out of whack too.)

The anonymous stuff from China, which may update every five years IF at all, and the stuff from that car makers fail to update more than once every two or three years, often at update prices that well exceed whole GPS prices, is incredible. Forget the price, what use are maps two years out of date?

I velcro the GPS on top of the AMI display when I need it. at least if I get mad at it, it is easy enough to open the window and toss it out.(G)

"The miracle is, the dog talks at all."
I am currently not using an integrated 3rd party navigation system with radio concert, though I am using my tablet/phone if I need to, using Google maps (suction holder)
Some points as a general discussion
1. I am sure Navigation systems with 3G/4G phone pairing capability, Google maps, and Google play capability for other gps application support exist.
2. I am happy with 3rd party Bluetooth but not so much with aux Bluetooth. I cannot select the song or app from the infotainment screen, since I have o use my phone (a2dp support through aux or AMI cannot be selected from screen)
3. I am currently not very happy with my back up camera on radio concert, because radar signal does not display with dynamic lines when reversing. Also image cannot be calibrated
4. The screen is not touch screen with radio concert.
5. WiFi and WiDi if needed to connect phone / GPS maps from Google play, or other video connectivity
6. Dvd rom support / Video Player (radio concert does not have dvd/video player support)

With some third party navigation probably you can get the following working perfectly:
1 (Google play, Google maps, Google earth etc), 2 ( a2dp stereo should be working without the need of AMI or aux), 4 (touch screen), 5 (WiDi support)

​​​​​​Number 3 is the most difficult. I don't thing 3rd party navigation systems have such capability in conjunction with radio concert integration. Not sure of DVD ROM support with third party but mmi 3G has such support. . It should be an additional add on which costs more..

I have currently never used an mmi 3G yet but I am looking forward to retrofitting one in the near future. Hope the one I ordered has mmi 3g plus support. Facelift gateway is needed to support additional protocols with mmi 3g plus.

Last edited by apoelistas; 12-27-2017 at 04:35 AM.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

"1. I am sure Navigation systems with ...Google maps, and Google ...support exist."
I've seen a number of mapping apps that appear to be using the GMaps base set. But even if a third party app used their base maps under license, they'd still suffer from the same errors, and Google sometimes has whoppers, which are sometimes uncorrectable. Then on the routing logic itself, they might need a great deal of computing power (which the Google server farms have) to do decent routing. And although Google owns Waze, they don't use all of the same traffic data for the plain GMaps users.
What there would be to gain from a 3rd party app, I don't know. Since GMaps is "free" it wouldn't be price. Performance? Unlikely.
There are some alternative map databases from sources like ESRI and Nokia(?) but ESRI tends to play in the professional market.

"2. I am happy with 3rd party Bluetooth but not so much with aux Bluetooth."
Not surprising. I know Audi's use of an SDHC card in my radio, ten years after SDHC was replaced by the SDXC standard, tells me that Audi has no concern with keeping up with standards, or the competition. I get tempted to simply rip out the "radio" and drop in standard double-DIN equipment, which can run rings around Audi's. {Rings pun intended.]

"3. I am currently not very happy with my back up camera"
In the US they were supposed to be mandated in 2014 but the automakers pushed that off. I refused to pay $3000 for a package that would include a camera and haven't been motivated to go tearing things apart to install one. Might be time to buy a newer GPS, which includes a backup camera for under $2"

"4. The screen is not touch screen with radio concert."
Funny thing about touchscreen, you hear a lot of people (and safety organizations) complain that you CANNOT OPERATE TOUCHSCREEN WITHOUT TAKING YOUR EYES OFF THE ROAD. So the way they are normally implemented is an intrinsic safety hazard. Try to press the "fan speed switch" button on your car, without looking down at the buttons. Can you find it by feel?
I prefer the old fashioned way. I know that every **** or button on the product (the car) adds at least $5 to the build cost of the car (which then becomes $20 to the sale price) but I still prefer buttons. I could adjust the fan speed on my old car without looking. My fingers knew "edge, bottom, switch in this corner, clicks 4x" and I didn't have to see it to use it. Audi? Find button, change thermostat to fan speed, view fan speed, change fan speed with ****, change **** back to thermostat" with eyes off the road all the way. That is not progress. If it needs that many steps...it needs voice control.

"5. WiDi if needed to connect phone / GPS maps"
Wireless standards keep changing. No doubt Audi will catch up and offer 5G service, which was due to deploy this year but is more likely to start in 2020 in the US. Perhaps Audi has a goal of 2030 for that.(G)

"6. Dvd rom support "
How quaint! You are still using disc media?(G) There have been a number of "better than DVD" standards in the last decade, but that really IS all obsolete, replaced by streaming and USB3+ storage and SSDs. You can get a terabyte SSD on a card the size of a postage card these days, and the SDXC standard that Audi has ignored for all these years provides for 2TB (or is it 4?) on just one SDXC card. Even if 256GB may be the max for sale now. Discs? Or any kind? WAY too expensive to implement that much hardware with moving parts.

All the issues vanish if the radio decks are kept to a double-DIN standard. The car makers all went proprietary in the 1980's (and for a while, that became illegal in the US market) because their goal is to extort money from buyers, by making nothing compatible. If they could, I'm sure they'd use incompatible fuel, oil, and even special gas in the tires. Audi already has a special windshield-washer fluid sensor that can be destroyed by "That is not ours" standard fluids, yes?

Quick Reply: Installing bluetooth module in Audi Q5