Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Installing Garmin GPS on Q5

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Garmin GPS on Q5

Hello,

I saw several threads talking about installing a radar detector on the Q5 but they don't answer my questions.

I was wandering if someone managed to install an aftermarket GPS on the Q5. I am not talking about reusing the custom screen just having the power cable coming out of the defrost vents so I can connect the GPS without having the cable going over the console and in front of the ventilation/radio controls and screen.

I would have to remove the top grille, but as it looks pretty flimsy. I am afraid to break it! If someone has a procedure to remove it, it would be appreciated!

Thanks

Martin
Old 03-11-2013, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Write exactly for which parts you are interested
Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2013, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spijun
Write exactly for which parts you are interested
It would be part #8 and #9. After it's been removed, I am fairly certain I can manage getting power from somewhere under the dash. But if someone did it already, it would be nice to know how you did it.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2013, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Instructions in PDF form
Need to use the plastic tool like this
Amazon Amazon
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
rem.cov.pdf (474.6 KB, 877 views)
Old 03-11-2013, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spijun
Instructions in PDF form
Need to use the plastic tool like this
http://www.amazon.com/Body-Panel-Wed...=removal+wedge
Thank you very much!

Do you know if it can easily be done? I don't want to break anything!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes only need to use a plastic tool, this is important

Last edited by spijun; 03-11-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi MartinQ5,

There may also be an easier way for youto get this done...

In the armrest console there is a power socket. Using this power source which is switched with ignition, run an extention power socket cable which can be purchased at any automotive or outdoor store from the armrest console out and straight down between the seats. Tuck it in easily under the center console by pushing it up where it meets the carpet. Run it all the way along to the foot well and then across above the pedals - being very careful to secure the cable clear of the pedals!!!

Remove the trim piece on the side of the dash (where fuses are found) and run the cable up thereto the dash, coming out where the dash speaker is located. From there you can feed it along at the base of the windscreen, out of sight to where you want to position the radar unit.

This requires minimal removal of panels etc and is fairly quick, easy and 100% reversible. This worked well for me in my previous Q5 that did not have nav.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I prefer to let the wires hang. I have a Garmin Zumo 660 and I would never leave it or the windshield mount exposed in a parked car. A set up for smash and grab. It all throws nicely into the center console when not in use.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GregH
Hi MartinQ5,

This requires minimal removal of panels etc and is fairly quick, easy and 100% reversible. This worked well for me in my previous Q5 that did not have nav.
Well, the problem is that it is for my Garmin GPS that has the real time traffic updates. In order for it to work, I need to use the given power cord. This cord is quite thick as it contains the antenna. So letting it lose is not a good idea as it often blocks a big part of the Q5's screen, and I can't get the cord to fit in the windshield gap as it is too thick.

I've ordered the panel removing tool and a micro isb extension (13$ total) So I will give it a try when I get everything.

Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2013, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mean this...

From my BMW bike I have BMW Motorrad IV, which is Garmin Zumo 660 with few extra features and I as well had the traffic charger so the cable can be hidden and I actually hide the bush button in ashtray to allow me to keep the nav off independent from the ignition.

The middle cover is so thin and fragile that I used soldering iron to make the slot....

Last edited by kleinbus; 03-16-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Installing Garmin GPS on Q5