Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Installing Garmin GPS on Q5

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kleinbus
The middle cover is so thin and fragile that I used soldering iron to make the slot....
Kind of...

I would prefer not making a hole but having the cable going through the windshield defrost slots.

Was it easy to remove the middle cover? I ordered plastic tools to take it out. But I am a bit scarry to pull it!

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MartinQ5
Well, the problem is that it is for my Garmin GPS that has the real time traffic updates. In order for it to work, I need to use the given power cord. This cord is quite thick as it contains the antenna. So letting it lose is not a good idea as it often blocks a big part of the Q5's screen, and I can't get the cord to fit in the windshield gap as it is too thick.

I've ordered the panel removing tool and a micro isb extension (13$ total) So I will give it a try when I get everything.

Thanks
I also had the same traffic receiver cable installed. The receiver part does not need to be exposed to be able to receive signals from traffic message centers. I had this part of the cable with the receiver behind the panel at the side of the dash. Traffic reception was perfect. However, I did have the GPS installed in the corner of the dash by the window pillar, not the center of the dash.

There is merit in installing the GPS in this location - easy to reach for the driver without leaning over, mostly out of sight from thieves and kept partly out of direct sun as the windscreen A pillar provides a little shade.

There is then also a very easy and non destructive way to attach it to the dash without drilling holes ( and no it was not stuck on the windscreen). I can post pics if you are interested.

Last edited by GregH; 03-16-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi GregH,

I was also looking to install the GPS in the same location (to the side of the driver). Do you have any pictures?

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GregH
There is then also a very easy and non destructive way to attach it to the dash without drilling holes ( and no it was not stuck on the windscreen). I can post pics if you are interested.
If you have the time. It would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-18-2013, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here you go. Please excuse cell phone pics and dusty car. You might also find that you need to view these pics with a mirror as I know Audi put the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car in many markets

The GPS is a Garmin 3790 with traffic receiver.

Finished install from the drivers point of view. No issue with visibility:

Some of the armrest where power is supplied from:

Armrest in the down position:

Feed the power lead along under the center console trim. Just push it under, no disassembly needed.

Run cable across over footwell area above pedals - taking care to secure from getting tangled in pedals!! and up here where the fuses are. This side panel just clips off to help you feed the power cable right up to the mounting point on the dash. Note the traffic receiver "box" and the aerial which is tucked up intop the door rubber. Reception for traffic is excellent.

I wrapped the radio receiver in adhesive felt to insure against possible rattles.

In position ready to be closed up.

The mounting:
The air vent on the dash can be lifted out easily using a screwdriver [careful!] or a plastic trim removel tool. Using two cable ties and the units original suction mount. cable tie the mount to the airvent. Don't overtighten the cable ties as you may damage the airvent trim. Two small cable ties is all that is required for a solid attachment. No rattles no vibrating etc.

This is all invisible once the GPS is attached. No wires or the mountiung is visible. Does not affect air conditioning.

I did drill a small hole in the GPS suction mounting as seen in this image to feed the one cable tie through:

And of course you can still remove the GPS as normal for security reasons if necessary:

In this position you can reach the touch screen or give voice commands without leaning forward out of your seat.

Last edited by GregH; 03-18-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GregH
Here you go...
Ahhh!!! Everything is on the wrong side!

Thanks for the pics, I think this could be a viable alternative!
Old 03-25-2013, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks GregH,

It looks great! That's exactly how I'd like to set mine up. only problem I have is that I will need an extension cable for my GPS (TomTom). I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Thanks again.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default There... I fixed it!

Finally, I got all my parts from ebay.

After a minor setback, the USB extension I ordered triggered the PC connexion mode on my Garmin every time I turned on the car, I managed to install my GPS.

I decided to go with GregH suggestion. Altough I still use the succion cup on the window and used a fuse "jumper" for power.

Here are some, unfortunatly blurry, pictures of the installation process and the final result.

P.S. Sorry for the messy car... We still have snow around here, so I didn't have the time for the spring cleanup!
Attached Images