Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Interesting tidbit from my dealer regarding S-line plus option

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting tidbit from my dealer regarding S-line plus option

So I was complaining to my dealer about the fact there is no longer and S-line option and only and balk optic s-line plus for model year 2014.

They told me it is not uncommon for Audi to change options mid year and that they have gotten a lot of negative feedback specifically in regards to people looking at the TDI as it comes with the 2.0 bumpers and the only way to upgrade them is the S-line plus package. Apparently a lot of people don't like the black optics. Try thought that Audi NA would likely offer a standard s-line option mid year because of dealer input from potential customers.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrcardon
So I was complaining to my dealer about the fact there is no longer and S-line option and only and balk optic s-line plus for model year 2014.

They told me it is not uncommon for Audi to change options mid year and that they have gotten a lot of negative feedback specifically in regards to people looking at the TDI as it comes with the 2.0 bumpers and the only way to upgrade them is the S-line plus package. Apparently a lot of people don't like the black optics. Try thought that Audi NA would likely offer a standard s-line option mid year because of dealer input from potential customers.
Not surprised by the negative feedback at all.
IMO, the S-Line Plus package gives the Q5 an unfinished look.... Would be best to give people the choice to take it or leave it when wanting to go S-Line... I'm sure that AoA will figure that out soon enough.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JaXeN
Not surprised by the negative feedback at all.
IMO, the S-Line Plus package gives the Q5 an unfinished look.... Would be best to give people the choice to take it or leave it when wanting to go S-Line... I'm sure that AoA will figure that out soon enough.
yeah, I don't like the blacked-out S-line plus either... perhaps the main reason Audi did this was to further differentiate the SQ5 chrome/polished trim esthetic to S-line.

I do find it funny that back in the B5 days, everyone loved to do the black-out trim mod, and some were even using black-out tape to accomplish the look, but now nobody seems to be a fan of it.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I much prefer the black optic pkg myself
Old 08-28-2013, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
I love it on the white and red... but I still wish it was gloss black.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
I am with you.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by larryV
yeah, I don't like the blacked-out S-line plus either... perhaps the main reason Audi did this was to further differentiate the SQ5 chrome/polished trim esthetic to S-line.

I do find it funny that back in the B5 days, everyone loved to do the black-out trim mod, and some were even using black-out tape to accomplish the look, but now nobody seems to be a fan of it.
I like it on the dark cars (consistent look), but I'm a little scared how it will be on my Glacier in person. It would have been nice if they had given us (TDI) a black version of the SQ5 front grille the way the PIB describes - it would have gone a long way of making this mixed feeling a more positive one. I'm sure I'll be happy in the end, but after seeing the classy look of Larry's SQ5 in white with chrome, I'm "concerned"...

S-Line looks good here: (I think)

Not sure how I feel on this photo:

I'm not as excited as I want to be about it on white - hope the wheel change helps:

although honestly the side shot doesn't look too bad:

But nothing as good as the SQ5
I'll attribute it to better photos too

Old 08-28-2013, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mark P
I like it on the dark cars (consistent look), but I'm a little scared how it will be on my Glacier in person. It would have been nice if they had given us (TDI) a black version of the SQ5 front grille the way the PIB describes - it would have gone a long way of making this mixed feeling a more positive one. I'm sure I'll be happy in the end, but after seeing the classy look of Larry's SQ5 in white with chrome, I'm "concerned"...
I think your new wheels will go along way.

I have the same concerns. On the Monsoon, the peelers almost blend in. I have a fear that my wife will not like it. I too hoped for a black version of the SQ5 grill. I accepted the black roof bars and the trim around the windows when I ordered it, but the peelers and black grill has given me some pause (None of us was aware of the full changes at the time)...I keep eyeing a Monsoon SQ5 on the dealer's lot.
Attached Images   
Old 08-28-2013, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must admit I struggled some with the colors with the S-Line Plus exterior components, but settled on White, liking the high contrast. Was close to Daytona but thought it might be too monochromatic for my tastes. Brilliant and Lava seemed just a bit too dark-side. So, Ibis it is, and I do think it will offer a sporty and attractive unit. I've seen a lot of "titanium" wheels these days on European cars, mainly BMW, MB and Porsche. The color is becoming more mainstream....and I'm warming to it.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Daytona Grey with Titanium S-Line FTW. Looks AMAZING!

Originally Posted by Mark P

S-Line looks good here: (I think)

Not sure how I feel on this photo:

I'm not as excited as I want to be about it on white - hope the wheel change helps:

although honestly the side shot doesn't look too bad:

But nothing as good as the SQ5
I'll attribute it to better photos too

Quick Reply: Interesting tidbit from my dealer regarding S-line plus option