Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Interior Leather 'warranty'

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Leather 'warranty'

OK the dealer saw me coming a mile away ... I caved and bought the additional leather interior protection. To be fair I do have 2 dogs, several nieces & nephews ALL of who love to crawl all over the interior of my Q much to my dismay so I figured i 'd be proactive and protect the insides too.

WELL!! To the dealerships chagrin I need to file a claim! They are clueless as they have, and I quote, "never filed one in the last 11 years" ... my my my ... all us Audi owners dumping $$$ into this optional program and they get it 'all'... huh ... but I digress.

I was very negligent in, after having laid out flat the back seat to transport some larger items, I raised the passenger side seat back up and -THUNK- caught the seat belt just right that it caused a rip in the surface leather on the side of the seat; hence my filing of a claim. (darn seat belts not having some sort of placement pin/holder as some of my other cars do!!)

Well after being told to WAIT until my next service for them to process this leather issue (2 months later) - I then find out that it is 'out of their hands' ... they only initiate the claims process! It all goes to an outsourced company called Cal-Tex.

SO for anyone else who did purchase the optional leather protection ... here, below is if you need to file a claim the information direct from the company to do so ... i.e. you do not NEED to involve the dealership!

The following information must be provided when submitting a claim with Cal-Tex:

* Customer registration number and/or the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
* Contact information, including address and telephone number
* The type of damage you are reporting, where the damage is, when you noticed the damage and what you’ve done to remedy the damage.

Please choose from one of the options listed below:
ONLINE: Go to www.ctpc.com ∙ click on Warranty Services ∙ click File a Claim Online
FAX: Send request to 210-564-3296
EMAIL: claims@ctpc.com
MAIL: Send request to 7455 Natural Bridge Caverns Rd., Schertz, TX 78154, Attn: Warranty Services Department

Once your claim request has been received, a representative from our office will contact you within 24 to 48 business hours, to discuss your claim.

If you have any questions, please contact our office at 1-800-707-9292.

Our office hours are Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Central Standard Time.

Thank you,
Pam Cook
Claims Representative
Cal-Tex Protective Coatings, Inc.
7455 Natural Bridge Caverns Road
Schertz, Texas 78154
Office: (210) 871-7399
Fax: (210) 579-6596
www.ctpc.com
Old 04-12-2011, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

from their website...

What is covered under my warranty?

Vinyl/Leather - In general, your vinyl/leather is warranted against fading and permanent staining caused by food or drink.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Goodlivn
from their website...

Vinyl/Leather - In general, your vinyl/leather is warranted against fading and permanent staining caused by food or drink.
All these leather warranties are pretty much extra profit for the dealer. Most modern day leather used in cars have a clear coat on it, its very hard to stain. When you do file a claim, the company makes you jump over hoops and flood you with paper work to discourage you.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got a similar warranty from a different company out here in CA and I had a very difference experience. My beige interior is starting to show blue marks from wearing jeans while driving. My dealership is allowing me to have the whole seat replaced or reupholstered whenever I want. I can only do it once though to each leather surface.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Goodlivn
from their website...

2 things here...

1) on the back side of my signed paperwork in that micro-small print it says the maximum size for a fix ... a width of up to 1/2" and a length of 1" ... my tear falls well within these parameters as it's aprox. 1/4" x 1/4" square.

2) I seriously flipped out on the dealership when they started down the same path about not knowing whether my issue was covered and I quoted to them that the sales 'weasel' stated rather exuberantly when selling me the product that "Hey you could have a pen poking out of your pocket that goes through the seat and it's all covered!" so part of my 'flipping out' was if they will not cover this damage then they'd best be prepared to refund me the total amount I paid based on false claims made to me AND my husband during the purchase of this extra ... the service person put that commentary in her email to the sales-weasel and my request was expedited (received confirmation of my claim in 24 hrs).

BTW I only took the 'bitchy' road at the onset due to so many other folks having a plethora of other issues associated with the Q5; I was not about to be pushed around or delayed even further than I already had been - 2 months at this point.

@G-Man There was no paperwork this time ... the dealership did the 1st submittance of my claim on-line.
To date have received a pleasant phone call from the Cal-Tex co to review my claim and set up my appointment with 3 options for the fix 1) take it to my preferred local shop 2) if it will be at the dealership at any point they would send the repair person to the dealership at the same time or what I choose 3) have the repair person come to my home/work to do the repair. The repair person called me 4 days after the Cal-Tex rep and my appointment is in 3 days (weather dependent).
I did ask the Cal-tex rep to send me documentation of my claim just for my personal records tho I do have the emails to print.

Last edited by loscoz; 04-13-2011 at 04:07 AM. Reason: additional info added
Old 04-13-2011, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by loscoz
"[I]Hey you could have a pen poking out of your pocket that goes through the seat and it's all covered!"
In case you haven't been asked this before...did you get this "comment" in writing?
comment=assurance
If not, then it never happened.
I do hope that you get it resolved in a timely fashion. Please report how this plays out...good, bad or ugly.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

IMHO if the Dealer (or any company for that matter) sells you something, they should be educated about the product/policies that they are representing or selling...and be prepared to stand behind it.

They tend to make it soooo difficult for a consumer to get issues resolved that they often just give up...personally I hate having to resort to being bitchy to get stuff fixed!

Good luck getting the seat fixed!
Old 04-13-2011, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by loscoz
@G-Man There was no paperwork this time ... the dealership did the 1st submittance of my claim on-line.
To date have received a pleasant phone call from the Cal-Tex co to review my claim and set up my appointment with 3 options for the fix 1) take it to my preferred local shop 2) if it will be at the dealership at any point they would send the repair person to the dealership at the same time or what I choose 3) have the repair person come to my home/work to do the repair. The repair person called me 4 days after the Cal-Tex rep and my appointment is in 3 days (weather dependent).
I did ask the Cal-tex rep to send me documentation of my claim just for my personal records tho I do have the emails to print.
Make sure its not a patch up repair job, demand a whole new leather seat cover.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I think you know where that is going. Since they specified in the fine print they only fix up to a certain size it almost certainly is a patch job.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
Call me foolish but this 'rip' is literally .25" x .25" size AND it's on the passenger rear seats door side ... ONLY visable when you fold the seat down/forward so I won't demand a whole new seat cover UNLESS it starts to peel up that the fix is insufficient.

THOUGH this makes me conscious to take before and after images for my personal records.

Quick Reply: Interior Leather 'warranty'